ICE & HFT Fitting a Reversing Camera

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Wednesday 29th Oct, 2014.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    The fact that my head unit setup is not 100% complete and the reversing camera has not been setup yet is really bugging me, so I'm going to have a go at it again. The 2 cameras I currently have look out of place, no matter where I put them, so I went ahead and got myself a number plate surround with built in reversing camera. From what I have seen, you would not be able to really notice the camera there if just glancing, and it's also pretty much dead center of the tailgate.

I'm going to try and do as much of it as I can, and the way I see it, the following would be the different steps (and concerns / questions I have) involved -
    1. Drill a whole in the tailgate *cringe* and feed the camera cables through, and mount the plate surround and number plate (should be able to do myself)
      1. I want to keep the hole as small as possible, so I assume it would be ok for me to cut the RCA video cable, feel just the cable through and then splice it together again ?
      2. What is the best way to seal the hole I feed the cables through (Firstly to stop water ingress, and also to stop rust.) ?
    2. Run cables through the trim of the tailgate and in through the grommet / rubber seal at top right of tailgate (should be able to do myself)
    3. Run video cable all the way through to the front of the car (should be able to do myself)
    4. Run camera power cable down to one of the reverse lights (should be able to do myself)
    5. Connect video cable to head unit, and also connect cable from head unit to reverse light power (probably better for someone else to do at this stage)
    6. Connect camera power cable to reverse light and ground (definitely better for someone else to do)
    I'm hoping to do most of this myself, most likely leaving any of the electrical connections to someone more capable.

I was wondering if anyone else here has fitted an aftermarket reversing camera (I did a quick search and didn't find any guides to this effect), and if so, if they have any advice / suggestions etc. ?

I'll obviously look at keeping a photographic record of my progress, which may end up as a guide, so any feedback / input would be greatly appreciated.
    - - - Updated - - -
    This is the item I ordered

Nighthawk likes this.
  2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Looking forward to it mate.

Your Civic is going to be the most kitted out Civic in your area soon.

3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My daughter had one fitted to her RSMegane its in her number plate and can't be seen.her plate is in the bumper and not the tailgate so I think hers was drilled into the underside of the body and the cables fitted through and then grommets fitted.
    She has an updated after market ICE system and the camera is really good. It has markers on the screen to aid when reversing,red for danger green for go. Pretty cool even for a Renault :Grin:. Good luck with it.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've got all the gear here to do the same thing to my Accord, just haven't found the time yet. You can get a wireless kit for about £20-30 to send the video signal to the headunit without the need to trail cables, personally I always prefer hard-wiring.

MickyB likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I got the wireless kit too. Plus 2 cameras, plus one clip on rearview mirror with built in LCD, plus a numberplate surround mounted camera on the way :Grin: (couldn't quite decide which camera to go with, and I got the mirror clip on thingy when I was still of two minds about the double din head unit).

I heard wireless is unreliable, plus it means splicing more power cables, so I'm gonna go for the 5 metre RCA cable.

MickyB likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

And of course, as is often the case with distance purchasing.... the mounting holes on the number plate surround don't match up on my car, AND the camera obstructs the latch for opening the tailgate, AND the number plate doesn't fit properly, (but I can always have a new plate cut). GRRRR

Ah well, I'll keep it for now, at least until I have some sort of reversing camera installed.

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I was bitching to some friends about my latest reversing camera not fitting, and they just got back to me and said that as it was my birthday recently, they'll pay to get my reversing camera fitted professionally. They already got it booked in for Monday morning next week (3rd November) at Oxford Car Audio. I just need to decide if I want to take them up on their offer, or if I want to go ahead and have a bash at it myself. Normally I'd be happy for someone else to do it, but there would be a big learning opportunity for me to do it myself.

MickyB likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

Very nice of them to offer that to you, but as you say, its a nice learning opportunity for yourself and, more importantly in my opinion, the opportunity to get that buzz about knowing that you installed something new correctly by yourself. That is always a great feeling.

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I've made the decision to get the reversing camera installed professionally. I know I am missing an opportunity here, but I personally feel that at this stage, I would prefer someone else does it properly, and then I can go back in and see how they did it.

So once it's all done and working, and weather permitting, I'll open up all the paneling and trim to have a look at how it was installed, taking pictures along the way.

I've given the reversing camera in the number plate, along with the wireless connecting kit and the rear view mirror with built in screen to a mate of mine, and he's considering putting it in his Soarer or maybe his 5th Generation Civic, so I'll see if he lets me tag along and help when he does this (and take pictures if he does it in the Civic).

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's fair enough Roger, sometimes it better to hand the job over to professionals.
    You could always quiz them as to how they did it or why they did it a particular way.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Quite understandable @RogerH69. It will be interesting to see how it's done. Does the installer know his work is going to be scrutinised? No pressure for him.:Whistle:

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

From experience with them and reviews, they are quite a helpful bunch, so I was going thinking of checking back with them if I had questions after I had a look at the install.

I actually made a point of NOT telling him I'll be checking what they do, and also taking pictures so y'all can comment. I wanted to make sure that they do the same level of work they normally would, so that I know the minimum of level of work I can expect from them if I use them in the future.

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Got my camera fitted - link

This weekend, I'll look at taking off some of the body panels to see how and where they fed the video cable, and post pictures of their work.

MickyB likes this.
  14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Woke up to find a perfect blue sky, so I took the opportunity (before it clouds over and starts raining, which it has done now :Laughing:) to get this finished.

I originally had a number plate holder mounted reversing camera I wanted to fit myself, but saw it would not fit without drilling holes in the tailgate, so some mates arranged for a professional fitting of a smaller, separate reversing camera. This latter one was fitted and worked great, but I found another number plate holder mounted reversing camera, which looked like it had more chance of fitting. Below shows how I mounted it (and also how the previous one was mounted).

Note - I will not be showing the soldering of the camera power lead, or the main run of the video cable and it's connection to the head unit (or the connection of the head unit to the reverse gear sensor), which is why I am not writing this as a DIY guide (for a guide I would want it to be as complete as possible).

First, the blowout diagram of the tailgate interior trim (references to numbers below will refer back to the numbers in the blowout diagram)
    850a8b9ae978c1c073190cf0df358d0d.

Using a small flat screw driver, or a trim removal tool, unclip one end of the upper tailgate lining assembly (2)
    20141109_112325.JPG

Once loose, pull it slowly but firmly towards you (try not to twist it too much - rather pull straight out if possible), releasing the clips all the way along it's length
    20141109_112341.JPG

Below shows the location of the clips at the rear of the upper tailgate lining assembly
    20141109_112443.JPG

Then proceed to remove the side tailgate garnish assemblies (3 and 7) by slowly but firmly pulling them away from the body of the car (it's best to use 2 hands and once again, try not to twist the garnish assembly too much). When you get to the bottom of the side tailgate garnish assembly, you have to slide it up as you pull it out, as it clips into the bottom of lower tailgate lining assembly
    20141109_112602.JPG

Below shows the clips on the side tailgate garnish assemblies
    20141109_113246.JPG

Remove the tailgate lining lid (6) by prying it off with a small flat screw driver, or trim removal tool
    20141109_151447.JPG
    20141109_151712.JPG

Remove the screw inside the tailgate grip recess
    20141109_112943.JPG

Push the centers of these 2 clips (8 and 9) in (not too far) and use a small flat screw driver or a trim removal tool to remove the clips
    20141109_112951.JPG

Remove the lower tailgate lining assembly by pulling it away from the tailgate. Below shows the locations of the clips on the rear of the lower tailgate lining assembly
    20141109_113252.JPG

You now have full access to the tailgate. Shown below is the wiring of the existing camera (yellow RCA is video, black RCA is power)
    20141109_113438.JPG

And how it feeds across the tailgate
    20141109_113443.JPG

Following the other wiring in the tailgate
    20141109_113449.JPG

It then feeds up the side of the tailgate (hidden, as it's inside the body of the tailgate itself), and through the plastic seal / plug at the top of the tailgate
    20141109_113505.JPG

The red cable shows where the video and power cable have been fed back into the body of the car
    20141109_113527.JPG

The cables then run down the side of the rear body of the car
    20141109_121300.JPG

At which stage the video cable splits off to be fed through to the front of the car
    20141109_121319.JPG

And the power cables continues down to the reverse light, where it has been soldered onto the power cables for the reverse light, thus enabling the camera to come on whenever reverse gear is engaged.
    20141109_121335.JPG

So, to replace the existing camera, I first detach the cables from the body of the car
    20141109_113822.JPG

As you can see, the cable from the camera has been fed through a hole made in one of the number plate light housings, so I need to remove the number plate light housing, by squeezing the clip on the one side of the housing
    20141109_113944.JPG

And then pushing it through to the outside of the tailgate
    20141109_114006.JPG

This then allows me to start feeding the camera cable back through the hole 20141109_114017.JPG

Until it is free
    20141109_114439.JPG

I then need to remove these 2 screws, freeing the reversing camera from the number plate trim
    20141109_114455.JPG

Using the same holes and screw that held the previous number plate in place, I can now fit the number plate holder
    20141109_115203.JPG

Then lift the number plate light housing
    20141109_115257.JPG

And feed the cables through one at a time
    20141109_115318.JPG

20141109_115334.JPG

And then replace the number plate light housing
    20141109_115432.JPG

And just to be safe, surround the hole in the number plate housing with some silicone sealant, both outside
    20141109_120551.JPG

and inside
    20141109_120610.JPG

20141109_120620.JPG

Then connect the video and power cables to the existing ones from the previous camera
    20141109_122730.JPG

Once everything is confirmed as working, the camera video and power cables properly
    20141109_123124.JPG

You can then replace the tailgate trim in the reverse order that you removed it in. Note that to replace the 2 clips (8 and 9) you removed earlier, you need to push the pin a little through the top of the clip. Do this by spreading the ends of the plastic pin as below
    20141109_123611.JPG

And pushing it through the clip, as so 20141109_123625.JPG

Replace the lower tailgate lining assembly, and insert the clip with the extended center pin
    20141109_123650.JPG

and push the pins back in, so that they are flush with the head of the clip
    20141109_123656.JPG

When replacing the upper tailgate lining assembly (2), ensure that the cover for the high level brake light is flush with the windscreen
    20141109_124044.JPG 20141109_124054.JPG

And the finished product
    20141109_121835.JPG

20141109_121847.JPG

The picture on this camera is not as sharp as the previous one, but it could be related to how bright it is outside today. Nonetheless, the camera works, and has guidance lines.
    20141109_122012.JPG

After tilting it down a bit
    20141109_150713.JPG

Last edited: Sunday 9th Nov, 2014
    Bones126 and Ichiban like this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

Lovely @RogerH69, do you mind if I put this as a seperate DIY so that others researching the same thing can find it?

Incidentally, whilst you were back there, did you see how that chrome trim comes off for those rust spots?

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @Nighthawk . I didn't want to put it as a DIY as it does not show everything, but if you think it's fine as is, then go ahead.

From what I can see, the chrome trim comes off by undoing a couple of bolts

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's nicely documented. It looks like the company you chose did a very professional job.

18. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Another great detailed guide :Niceone:

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah. I took it to Oxford Car Audio and was very happy with their work. Been there a couple of times and never had any complaints.

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Nicely done @RogerH69. IMHO, the number plate camera looks much better.
    Did you seal the two holes in the chrome trim where the previous camera was mounted?