Body, Paint & Styling Fitting a spoiler

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 21st Jun, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why? Aesthetics I guess. Saw a 6th Generation yesterday with a spoiler which looked pretty darn fine - plus anything that draws attention away from the other flaws would be nice.

However, my car didn't come with it as stock so I assume I will have to buy a second hand spoiler (genuine from breakers) and fit it which should be pretty easy hopefully?

I looked at the dealer manual which wasn't much help, I plan on fitting the spoiler in the same position but I have to make sure I don't come across any wires etc when I'm drilling. Also I'm not sure if hatchback 6th gens came with spoilers?

Anyway my method for this is going to be to:
    1) Remove interior boot trim and check for any issues with cables and the like
    2) Buy the spoiler and mark the holes
    3) Got two drills, a normal black and decker and a cheapo SDS (has worked with brick walls though) - I will fit a drill bit and drill into the marked holes
    4) Fit the spoiler with screws and nuts and voila I'm sorted.

Anybody see any flaws?

Thanks for reading :Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think you got the steps pretty much covered. Do you have a spoiler in mind ? You need to make sure it comes with template for holes.

There shouldn't be any wires anywhere near where you're drilling holes for spoiler.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think it will come with a template as I want to buy one from the scrapyard. Online I've seen chaps loosely attach wooden stirrers to the spoiler underside where the screw goes in and when placed on the bonnet then stick it onto the bonnet to keep it in place for drilling.

I've looked through quite a few hatchbacks on autotrader and not a single one has a spoiler on the back though so I'm going to get a quote from my insurance firm before proceeding with this. I assumed I could pass it as stock and they wouldn't notice!

4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Spoilers typically come with studs attached to go through the boot skin.

My personal choice for your car would be the Type-R item.

Lay masking tape on the bootlid, get a helper to ensure the spoiler does topple over, and carefully ensure it is lined up. Now using a marker, draw around the base of the studs onto the masking tape. Remove the spoiler and mark your centres.

Using a pointed chisel or centre punch, mark your centres using a hammer and the punch - enough to create a small indent but not hard enough to stretch the metal. This will prevent your drill bit from wandering when you go to drill the holes.

For steel you will need a fresh HSS drill bit, or even a cobalt one to make short work of it. Typically the spoiler studs will be M8, so an 8.5mm drill bit will allow a small amount of wiggle room should there be any inaccuracy with your marking or drilling.

Be sure to seal up the bare metal, remove the masking tape and blow away any swarf left from drilling. Set your spoiler on with a little tiger seal to prevent water and dirt ingress and tighten up the nuts from underneath. Also be sure to add washers to the underside to prevent damage to the paint around the hole and therefore minimising corrosion down the line.

Ichiban and Chunkylover53 like this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm not sure if a Type-R spoiler will fit properly onto a 6th Generation hatchback @PeteMM, but then to be honest I can't remember the difference in rear end shape.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant, makes things a lot easier to understand. I've got most the stuff required other than the spoiler itself. Finding it pretty hard to find a silver one to be honest.

Came across this but I don't think a spray can would be the proper way to paint it? Honda Accord Type-R Spoiler | eBay

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Didn't even cross my mind that the width would be different between the hatchback and saloon bonnets. Going to email the guys selling Type-R spoilers for width + height measurements. Thanks.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Not the proper way, every can has a different spray pattern - but it would do fine if you did very slight coats and lightly sanded the existing paintwork first for an abrasive surface that the paint will stick to. Of course, properly you'd want to be sticking a new base/clear coat down too.

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got a hatchback so that will just snap right off whenever I open it :lol:

To be fair this is just something to keep me busy, I'd much rather sort out the cold air intake then this if I find a good condition spoiler at a decent price. Cheers for the site though, gonna look through all they have to offer now :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

They do the bootlid spoiler on its own.

As for being a hatch, I very much doubt it would snap off if fitted properly, hence most hot hatches have spoilers, however, I was directing you towards the bootlid spoiler and not the one from the top of the rear window.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oops my bad, and yeah that looks niceeee. £215 is way over what I was planning to spend though. I think my list now is:
    Cold air intake
    Spoiler
    Remove all dents
    Alloys

My budget for all this and audio was £750 - I ended up spending £300 on Audio so I'm trying to cut back on spoiler + alloy spend.

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right - it took nearly three months but I have found the spoiler I wanted at a good price.

Note that it is not the high Type-R spoiler, this one has a more understated look which I prefer. Plus it came off a hatchback model which means I can definitely fit it on my car :Smile:

I'm slightly apprehensive about the fitting procedure but I know I can always ask you guys if I have any issues :Smile:

DeviateDefiant and Nels like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hope you get it at a decent price CL. Looks good.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers, I really think it was a decent price, more so I have never seen this spoiler on eBay during the past three months in silver so I'm pretty chuffed. That said I've blown through my emergency budget if there are any MOT repairs required (hope not)... it might be 15 yrs old but I'm glad its a Honda :clap:

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just on the fitting side I've had a look at the one on my typeS and it looks like there is what looks like a rubber gasket between the spoiler and the boot so I was thinking maybe this is to do with a firm fixing and anti vibration. So maybe some double sided rubber tape would do the job.
    Also if the spoiler is secured by bolts fastened into the base of it me not studs coming out, you could get some double sided tape and without peeling any backs off put it against the spoiler and mark the screw holes. Then peel off one backing and lightly stick it to the spoiler ensuring the holes are aligned. Once you have both in place peel off the other back and position the spoiler in position on the car.
    Once the tape is stuck to the car carefully remove the spoiler leaving behind the tape stuck to the car giving you the position of where to drill the mounting holed. I have seen this done and it works.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the advice @MickyB , I have no idea about the underside of this particular spoiler. On Type-Rs, the underside is completely flat. Anywho all will be answered when the spoiler arrives. Needless to say I will upload a DIY as I go along.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If
    it's flat with no studs coming out them the tape should work I only know this as I watched the guy at the body shop fitting one to my daughters megane sport. Good luck with it I'll keep an eye out for your DIY guide

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    rubber gasket will also stop water going in through the holes.

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right I got the spoiler today. Pleased with it overall, needs a good clean but otherwise it seems to be in good nick.

Fitting it should be pretty easy. There are four protruding screws so I'll hold it on the bumper (over masking tape) while somebody draws where the holes should be with a felt tip marker.

I've got some HSS drill bits lying around which should do the job otherwise I'll buy a cobalt bit. I also need to get some washers and tiger seal.

IMAG0284. IMAG0283. IMAG0286. IMAG0281. IMAG0282.

Attached Files: