Exhaust System Fitting exhaust o2 sensor

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Wednesday 22nd Oct, 2014.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I have ordered an o2 sensor to fit on my new cat, so was wondering do they simply screw on and plug in?

Do I need any specific tools or will a simple spanner do the job? seen vids of people putting anti seize grease on and tourqueing them, butnot sure how necessary that is!

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

exec likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh looked that up and its £30-40, which is far too much, can't find any alternatives, and not sure whether those long barrel sockets would fit.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    exec likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's pot luck really. Sometimes a standard spanner will get them off no problem, other times the sensors are practically jammed on solid and over use of a spanner can round off the edges.
    This is where an o2 sensor socket would come in handy.

Oxygen_sensor_with_a_socket_.JPG

As for tightening, I don't have a o2 sensor socket so don't torque the sensor back on, just tighten by hand.

exec likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Cheers, that helps, so those sockets should fit, I'm going to be fitting one on as opposed to taking off, currently do not have an o2 sensor attached to the cat.

Is it worth putting applying copper anti seize grease? Don't expect this cheap cat to last long so don't want the sensor seizing on it, won;t bother torquing it since its not the original cat the figures will be off.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Copper anti sieze can't do any harm, go for it, whether it will actually work at such high temps I'm not sure, I guess it would, as it remains within the threads.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd say dedicated brake caliper grease would be best given the temperatures, copper grease would burn off, silicone grease would eat the rubber - lithium grease? Bosch Super Fit is a good one to look into.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It would be in the threads, so doesn't really need to do much, even if it burns off should leave something behind that stops the sensor fusing to the boss on the cat.