Aftermarket Kit Fitting parking sensors on a Jazz

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by westmoors, Sunday 30th Dec, 2012.

1. westmoors Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Dorset
    Trawling the net there are plenty of sites on the subject of retro fitting parking sensors but little seems to have been written on just what you have to do and possible snags with any particular vehicle, and the Honda Jaz seemed to fall into this category, so as I have just fitted a set I thought perhaps readers may like to know what problems etc. I came across.

Firstly the sensor kit, I selected a 4 sensor rear kit, although specified to fit a Jaz I suspect this was a fit all kit as the box did not mention any vehicle make. I bought mine from Maplins Electronics, a Nikkai A61 JJ which originally sold at over £40 postage extra, now marked down to £19.99, but there were other outlets on the net offering the same price. There also were others offering much higher prices as well, some coloured to suit your vehicle around £45 plus postage, and supply and fitting services running upwards to £180. Weighing it all up I decided that even if you bought a coded touch up kit at about £8.80 to blend the sensors in ( not strictly necessary ) it was still only going to cost under £30 if you collected and fitted it yourself. In my case I found leaving them black it suited my blue Jaz
    I had a look in the boot and decided that removing the trims was a big job as I had often found that once disturbed they do not always refit exactly, fitting out of sight would be ideal but not very practical, also surface double sided pads were supplied so I would surface mount the parts as the supplier intended.

Fitting, the instructions were minimal and advisory but do read them fully beforehand, I will just tell you what I did. ( A bit long winded )

First with the car on level ground mark a horizontal line 50 mm from the ground on the rear bumper using a rub off type marker pen, this should give ample headroom for the two inboard sensors, BUT DO CHECK before drilling any holes.
    With the horizontal line marked on the bumper, use a plumb line, ( short piece of string and weight ) start at one end and hold the line on the inner lowest corner of the reversing light lens, this is slightly more that the recommended 15 cm from the edge of the vehicle but any nearer the edge of the car the sensor would be pointing rearwards at an angle. Where the string crosses the marked horizontal line make a small mark, do the same at the other end again from the inner most end of the reversing lens ..

The two marked points should be about 120cm’s apart, now mark off two further points along the horizontal line 40 cm’s apart between the two points already marked, you should now have 4 marked points, now re-check all your measurements, in particular measure the three spaces between the marks, they must all be equal, if not adjust as necessary, if OK now step back and see if they look equally spaced and level.

Satisfied all is OK using a very small drill ( 1.5, 2.0 mm ) drill 4 pilot holes at the marks, again check you have inside clearance for the sensors, (it’s easier to hide a small hole if it is wrong ), then using the included hole cutter very carefully make the correct size holes. The sensors are a push fit.

Now decide which side you want to locate the control unit and power lead because due to the height of the wiring loom the units can’t be fitted centrally as the power lead is too short, although you could lengthen it. Having said that all the other cables were generous in length but could not be shortened easily. Next raise and secure the boot floor covering.

I selected the right hand driver’s side and drilled a hole at least a10mm dia, ( as it has to be large enough for the moulded plugs to pass through this hole, the last plug has to get through with three cables in there ) locate the hole in the corner of the spare wheel housing nearest to the side you are going to fit the control unit, you can of course choose a different entry. I routed the cables from the sensors along the inner underside of the bumper and passed them through the drilled hole. You will have to make a suitable grommet to protect them from chafing I used a short piece of clear plastic pipe cut down one side to allow it to be opened for the cables . I also used an extra strong cable tie to secure the cables underneath to a convenient hole in the chassis as a retaining point en route to make them secure.

I intended to fit the control and power unit in the right hand corner of the boot so I removed the rear light’s cover in the boot trim and drilled a small hole in the trim just below the rear light access opening and passed the control twin cable through this hole , the remainder of the cable was going to run down on the outside of the trim.

Finding the reversing light, ( nearest inboard) I squeezing the small release catch and pulled reversing plug from the lamp and moving some of the outer insulation bared both wires from just behind the plug for about 4 or 5 mm on each wire, then soldered the red power lead to the green with black tracer which entered the plug and the black power lead to the remaining lead. I recommend soldering because the twin cable of this lead is so thin it would be difficult to connect securely any other way. The power cable was then dropped straight down into the corner of the boot, the control unit going alongside it. Don’t forget to pass the cable IN through the hole from the boot before you solder it !
    Double sided sticky pads are supplied to stick the units to the trim, it was then that I found out that they will stick to the unit but don’t like the surface of the Honda boot, so I decided to make a small retaining strap to hold both units against the trim wall with a couple of self tapping screws.
    I fed the 4 sensor cables out of the boot and routed them under the edge of the rear hatch trim as far as I could and then connected them to the power unit in the corner, the spare cable was looped and taped, put into a small plastic container and located alongside the spare wheel, there was sufficient room, and with the boot floor back in place it looked fine.

The display cable route was a problem, after a lot of thought I routed it under the boot covering along the boot floor then under the rear seat and down to the rear seat well to be tucked under the rear door trim as far as the front seat and then across the carpet to be tucked under the central console trim as far as the under dash shelf.
    It will need a mat or carpet to cover the bit of the wiring behind the driver’s seat if it is left there.
    The display itself also holds the bleeper as well and has it’s cable entering from the rear , but I could not see a very suitable location for this unit other than around the lower parcel shelf, or on top of the dashboad but this is a personal choice anyway, there is sufficient cable to locate it almost anywhere.

However you do not need the display up front unless you want to see the actual distance as the audible warning is sufficient, but the system will not work unless it is connected, so you could leave it in the boot or under the rear seat for simplicity.

Obviously I have lot’s of tidying up to do and perhaps make some changes but for a few hours work I have a system that works.

I hope someone also has a go at this and would be interested on how they managed and also let me know if they find if I have made some mistakes so not to mislead anyone trying a bit of D I Y . westmoors

legend-ary and Ichiban like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: Fitting parking sensors on a Jaz

Nice write up Westmoors but no pictures ? :Whistle:

3. westmoors Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Dorset

Thanks SpeedyGee, There's not much to see but I will add a couple of pictures a.s.a.p

4. westmoors Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Dorset

Well here are the photos, I did a bit more tidying up of the wiring afterwards, I had reversing sensors on my previous car and they gave a more positive warning with a continous note before you were too near an object, by comparison I found the continuous note did not sound until you were right on top the object so I decided to put the display unit where it could be read, at least until I got used to the system.

As I said before finding a spot in the driver's area was a problem, as you will see I finally placed the display facing upwards and outwards from the forward compartment of the central console, happily the double sided adhesive tape stuck to the inside of the compartment because the surface was smooth, but unless you wanted to drill an entry hole the cable has to run over the outside edge of the console.

The boot cover has to be curved or turned under at the corner to clear the plastic box when lifting the cover but no great problem, ( and thank goodness for Chinese take away food boxes ) as you can see the spare lengths of cable was also stowed quite neatly in one alongside the spare wheel. On reflection the control unit could also be located in a box in the spare wheel well by lengthening the power cable, there is room, however that's the plus side, on the minus side if you had a fault you would not have such an easy access to the connections which all terminate at the unit. westmoors

underneath cable entry and wiring.
    underneath wiring held taught by extra black cable tie.
    view of all parts in boot.
    sensor control in boot with floor cover.
    sensor control in boot without floor cover.
    close up of display unit in centre console.
    display unit in centre console.
    exterior view (2).
    exterior view.
    full rear view.

Last edited: Wednesday 2nd Jan, 2013
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Westmoor thank you for taking the time and effort to your share your DIY guide with us.:Thumbup:

You have done a :GoodJob:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

I like it ... :GoodJob: