Aftermarket Kit Fitting Up/Down switch to Electric Aerial

Discussion in '4th Generation (1992-1996)' started by RogerH69, Friday 12th Feb, 2016.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    My Prelude has an electric aerial on it, which is very long, and goes up whether I am using radio or not - it's a genuine one, as I recently replaced it with a used, genuine one, as the one that was in the car when I got it was broken.

I was wondering if it's possible to fit an up/down switch () to the dash that could control the aerial. Allowing me to raise it (to whatever height I want, and only when I want ?

If so, is it a 'simple' job of connecting it between the stereo and the aerial ?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Doesn't really have to have anything to do with the stereo, could simply be connected to an ACC on power source.

I'm not sure running it off the remote on of the headunit would be good idea in case that can't provide enough current. Unless you went through a relay.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Thanks for the reply @SpeedyGee - I did a bit of reading up on this, and found that I really need to get the JDM electric antenna, as this has the half / full functionality.

I found a video from a bloke in the US take one of those generic screw in type of aerials, and fit it into the top of the electric aerial, and remove the aerial motor. This then fits in place where the original aerial was. Video below.

I'm going to give this a try. Not going to butcher my OEM aerial, as it works great, but have bought a cheap eBay special, that I can rip apart to see if it works.