HVAC Fix smelly aircons for good

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Thursday 23rd May, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As the title suggests name the ideal treatment or product to fix this problem.

Aircon bomb , aerosol sanitizers etc just mask the problem they don't fix it.I just want the best treatment out there, please give your suggestions.

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You need to get something with a detergent in it to kill the bacteria, as that's what causes the smell, otherwise like you say you'll just mask the smell and it will return.

Last time I had mine done my mechanic used a trade product, it did a great job, better than anything you get over the shelf. Unfortunately I forget it's name now. I was thinking of getting mine done as there's a smell at times. I'll find out what it's called and I'll let you know what it is if it's possible to get it over the shelf.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Air con bomb and then follow up with A/C off, hot air set to max, fan set to max for 15 mins. Air con bomb/disinfectant spray should get rid out the bacteria.

The 15 min run of hot air will then dry the channels out and get rid of the moisture to avoid further backteria growth.

PeteMM and Ichiban like this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speedy tried your suggestion every year still no joy.. it smells like stale dust it not a fungal smell.

5. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    I've used the forte stuff in the past and its always been fine after.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I recently had my CC serviced by my stealer, no smell at all. Apparently they did a good job, but I'm not sure what they used.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    find out what they used bud. Let make a list of know good stuff that works.

8. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

CarPlan Kleen Air works for me.

9. bobbybliss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Rob Heerhugowaard
    I almost never turn aircon off. Had a smelly aircon on my 8th Generation for the first time this March.

For a about a week I tried every extreme setting possible to clean out the system.
    Extreme cold. Extreme hot. Aircon on. Aircon off. Switch halfway. Last few minutes on/off. And all over again.

Problem didn't go away at first, but then after two weeks on 'auto' it was clean as whistle again. Never used any kind of product...

I am very happy with the aircon on the 8th Generation. In fact, I have never had a car with such a non-existant aircon-smell. I like to think that there is some kind of self cleaning mechanism in the system (another hidden feature?). Apparently it doesn't work that well for you...

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Had no smell yet in 8th Generation Accord airco system, but used with succes desinfecting alcohol (smels like ether) + tuner cleaner on my previous Civic 2007.
    Sprayed as much as I could straight on the evaporator and gone was the smell. Bought that Civic secondhand and it had the smell when I got her. It never came back. Kept the car 3 years.
    First owner had set the airco on 'auto' the whole time. I only used airco when needed afterwards.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I got some tunap aircon bottles into the pollen filter housing so far so good ,fitted a new pollen filter will review in a weeks time.

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When you had the smell problem was it instantly noticeable when the air con was turned on? I tried my AC the other day and I didn't notice anything. Maybe my car just smells bad any way and I've just got used to it:Unknown:

image.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys a report after using the Tunap 289 aircon logic treatment the annoying dusty smell is now gone for good.

I used this recently on my old 2004 Tourer took out the old pollen filter set the aircon to LO which stop outside air recirculating.

Pinched the bottle to atomise the treatment straight into the pollen filter casing I used two bottles and its SUPERB stuff. Change the pollen filter with a new one and enjoy the fresh minty fresh air. The smell is perfect not overbearing like other treatments.

tunap_289.

bobbybliss likes this.
  14. Hoho15 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ill have to give that a try, it's becoming more noticeable on mine!

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It'll be worth hearing if it still smells as fresh in 3 -6 months. A good quality cleaner should still smell fresh in 6 months time.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's the acid test lets see what happens.