Off-Topic Fixing Windows 8

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DeviateDefiant, Sunday 2nd Feb, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Seriously, it's no secret that Windows 8 has been one major flop for Microsoft. Such badly disjointed interaction between the "Metro" and "Traditional" screens, it's like two different ecosystems stitched together with blu-tack. HP recently announced they were starting to sell new laptops with Windows 7 again.

Anyway, to the point, this article perfectly describes how to make Windows 8.2 work, and work right. MS have already announced their intention to bring the Start Menu back. That kinda back-peddling while embarrassing, is definitely needed.

2. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    It's really much more simple than doing this multi step guide.

Get StartIsBack, for like £2, which makes it look exactly like Windows 7 desktop and Start menu.

StartIsBack - real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Been using that since Win8 came out, also installed in on many customers' PC and they're all happy. Simplest solution ever for the price of loaf of bread :Wink:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It may be embarrassing to a degree but at least it shows they're actually listening to the complaints. Carrying on with a blinkered mentality trying to make it work would be even worse. Acknowledging the mistake and acting on it says far more to me than having to drop the product. The tile design does seem to be popular even though it's integration has been less than impressive. I'm sure they fix it and carry on with the concept in the future.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Windows days are numbered TBH it Linux or Apple which is the way forward in my view. I have started to ditched the diseased O/S which will never be secure nor user friendly.

Microsoft is clearly focusing on the back end architecture for business and cloud based application the days of desktop\laptops is over.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Classic Start is a good free alternative :Thumbup: It doesn't however fix the major issues with the misjointed ecosystem between Metro and Desktop. ModernMix is an intermediary solution until MS get its arse in gear.

I think it's now probably gotten to the point where it's becoming business critical and the stockholders are kicking up, I'm surprised they held off as long as they did.

While I think OSX is far too dumbed down and limiting, as well as quite visually ugly - I can see all *nix based operating systems gaining more mainstream adoption over the coming years.

A huge part of this is the massive push for proper graphics drivers by Nvidia and AMD, as well as the launch of SteamOS and x86 architecture on the latest console releases.

There's literally only a couple of small niggles that stop me moving over to Linux full time, that's needing to run Adobe apps in VM (Wine support isn't good enough), the two games I actually play and no beloved SVP for motion interpolation on video playback. Oh, and MiedaMonkey runs crap in Wine.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It will be a very long time until Windows disappears, if ever.

Linux and OSX are no better or worse than Windows in terms of security and usability. Linux in fact is garbage when it comes to user friendliness. I used to hate Windows and Ubuntu then Linux Mint was my choice of main OS, I used to run many stuff on WINE despite all the issues. But when I started working in IT and working with Windows on a daily basis along with Linux, I came to appreciate it. Nothing comes close to it in a business environment, Linux and OSX are nothing but a headache, and one of the funniest thing is the amount of people who insist on a having a Mac and then end running Windows on a VM in it.

Windows 8 unfortunately has an awful interface for Desktop usage. It's great on touch screen phone and tablet, but man is it awful on a desktop, just a horrible thing to work on and why they insist on having it is a mystery, it's a shame as the OS itself is fast and smooth. Hopefully Windows 9 might be the Windows 7.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I don't believe Windows will ever disappear, and Microsoft will eventually convert people over to it's new version (I think it's at 3% for 8.1 at the moment). But I do believe that the market share will shift more towards Linux with the new support, especially with Android/Linux compatibility starting to take off, and the Steam adoption in general. Apparently the PS4 is based on a *nix kernel too.

You don't get much better than Mint or Ubuntu for out of the box UX on Linux, but it depends on the level of adaptability the end user has, it's not what they're used to. There's tons of desktop environments out there,some are better than others - that's the beauty of Linux, take your pick. I have a tech-illiterate friend who solely uses a Ubuntu laptop and he loves it, one example but still - everyone has varying mileage. The problem is that people expect Linux to be Windows, they try to run Windows apps through WINE, they try to use Windows shortcuts, they expect settings and installation processes to all be the same. They're not, and trying to emulate them is counter-productive. Learn your new environment.

I must completely disagree on the security point, out of the box both OSX and Linux (almost irrelevant of distribution) are secure as hell, and on a completely different level to Windows. You can't even make a comparison there, Windows truly sucks for security by default. They can all be locked down, but Windows is still by far the weakest contender.

Depends on what you mean by business, the majority of tech and development orientated businesses utilise Linux, most designers use OS X. If you're talking about a spreadsheet technician, Windows is always going to be best. Linux and OS X are a headache to those who aren't familiar with them. The majority were brought up on Windows.

I do. Windows is natively supported through Bootcamp, so most people don't use a VM. The reason is, Mac hardware is great, seriously top of the field. It's over-priced, but it's damn well built to last. I have the option to go into OS X when I have to for work (begrudgingly), and I also have the best Windows experience possible.

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ People have been saying the year for the Linux will be coming for over a decade and it hasn't come into fruition. I think it will struggle for any large marketshare. Apple and Microsoft are big massive multinational hardware and software companies and have massive resources to push their products, Linux don't have that, the only real consumer level distro that has backing is Ubuntu, but they have lost a lot of their following due to awful awful Unity interface they released few years back, honestly it is one of the worst interfaces ever.

You are right that people expect Linux to be Windows, and that's what will hold back Linux, too much choice can be a bad thing too, Linux is too fragmented to be mainstream, its more for tech savvy people who can find their way round, whereas most people just want something familiar or that works out of the box. When people buy a computer they want to be able to run Office, Photoshop and play a few games, something Linux cannot do out of the box.

As for security, it isn't a massive difference, Linux mainly just has a more locked down user access, Mac is also not inherently more secure than Windows, it has plenty of vulnerabilities, it's a myth that people get caught out on. Pretty much 99% of viruses, trojans etc on Windows from my experience at work has been because of out of data Java and other plugins, Java is just an atrocious platform. The advantage that Linux has over Windows though being open source it is scrutinised and continuously improved. With Windows it probably has dozens of vulnerabilities that most of us are unaware of due to it being closed source.

We are talking about business/corporate environment in general. Linux are utilised but are not mainstream office computers, they fulfil a certain task, designers don't need proper business solutions, so a consumer product is fine for them. For example I work at a University and we support not only admins who use the usual office apps, but academics, researchers and the lot who do a lot of advanced tasks and Windows is the order of the day. Mac's are used as mere office PC's and people who buy them just end up using a Windows PC or VM to do proper testing. Linux are used to run certain types of software that is unavailable on Windows or processes that it can simply do much better than Windows. They all have their uses but Windows is still the best solution, OSX has come a long way to be honest though.

Mac hardware is pretty much the same as a PC one these days, you just pay double more for the brand. Most people that buy it at work is really for the fad and the style, the all in ones look very chic compared to an bland black dell box sitting on the floor, they all buy it, find it hard to use or find that it doesn't do what they want then end up running Windows. Mac's also don't offer any of the flexibility that a PC would, there is no way to upgrade them cheaply or easily, install massive powerful graphics card, basically do any proper work. That why IMO they are more suitable as a consumer electronic or for more graphical and video type of work.

If Steam for Linux takes off and all the games I play are ported to Linux I will probably switch back to Linux as my main OS at home. Main reason why I still use Windows is because of games compatibility. Mint is my favourite distro and I would love to use it again regularly.

bijomaru likes this.