Body, Paint & Styling Flaky Paint.........

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by John Dickson, Wednesday 10th Jun, 2015.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello

I washed and waxed my car last night. When I cleaned inside the boot gutter and edges of the lid (as I always do) this is what I found :shock:

It wasn't like that the last time I washed the car a month ago! :blush:

This is what can happen when lacquer isn't applied! It should be but it isn't on 8th Generation!

DSC02036.JPG DSC02037.JPG DSC02038.JPG

This is how the other (the good) side looks like:

DSC02039.JPG

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Take it straight back to them and get them to fix it mate. Thats not acceptable for a car which is only a year old

John Dickson and FirstHonda like this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:whathesaid:

Not acceptable at all IMHO.

It looks as though the "sealant" that is applied to the join has cracked leading to the paint flaking? I had that once...on a 1987 "E" Lada Riva!

John Dickson likes this.
  4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Definitely lads it's going back!

I've also got a questionnaire from Vertu for the article they want to run about my Accord history in their magazine.

"Question 2.... Have you had any major problems?" :cockywhistle:

Actually looking again at the picture for the "good" side it looks as if that could start just to the left of the rubber stop.
    - - - Updated - - -
    What I didn't include before was this:

DSC02041.JPG

DSC02040.JPG

I've been keeping an eye on that since last June as it looks as if it could break out at any time - probably would've done if I didn't clean the rain channel out often.

Last edited: Thursday 11th Jun, 2015
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That paint lifting that what happens when you don't clear coat the paint in the name of saving a few pennies.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The SM at Vertu is going to have an uncomfortable conversation. No excuse for that penny pinching.
    I will have a look at my CU1 and let you know what the finish is like.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. AaKoo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Doesn`t look good. Some amateur painter :Frown:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH Honda worldwide have adapted this stance all door jams since 2010 .Tailgates, under the bonnet,& inner wing have limited base coat and no clear coat. 7th generation car was the last car to have the entire cars surface coverts properly.

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It isn't just Honda, either - all manufacturers seem to do this now.:thumbdown:

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@John Dickson

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but as my CR-V is the same colour, some shots for comparison.

Also for comparison, some shots from my 2004 MINI Cooper - made back in the days before this sort of cost cutting took hold. Apart from the top rear roof channel all of the other areas have the same finish as the rest of the exterior bodywork. That certainly isn't the case now!!

What has surprised me is that the only areas that have no lacquer seem to be under the bonnet (all of it, including the engine bay) and the very top of the rear tailgate channel, where it joins the roof.

I'd be interested to see from others whether the finish is consistent across Honda models, and then by paint colour.

Attached Files:

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Forgot the MINI pictures...

Attached Files:

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

FirstHonda likes this.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^:offtopic:

2004, owned since new (went to the factory to see her built :Smile:). Every extra was specified, except the factory bodykit (which I didn't like) - so heated leather seats, navigation, cruise control, Harman Kardon hi-FI...the lot!

Currently on 12k miles, and she has only been out in the rain a couple of times since new - both by accident when on my way back from shows in the Summer :no:

She is a total garage queen, detailed inside, outside, underneath, engine bay...to be better than new condition. She's never going anywhere...:shock:

Who said anything about OCD?!?!

John Dickson and Nels like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's not OCD. That's perfectly normal.

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

On my CU1 there's no paint flaking on the boot but it too, has no clear coat underneath. I clean all those surfaces every time I wash the car(s), so I will be keeping a close eye on them. I also seal and wax them, so this hopefully will help to keep the rust worm away. :Unknown:

John Dickson likes this.
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've always cleaned the rain gutters, boot lid seams and drain holes (the Accord has none for some reason on the boot lid) and the door seams and drain holes plus round the bonnet and fuel door.

Took the car in yesterday and the young lad who came out to look at the car first tried to suggest the boot lid was catching on the top of the nearside quarter panel and that's why the paint was coming off! He must've thought I was as green as I'm cabbage looking!

The Service Manager then drove in to the yard and he came to have a look. He said he could get the boot lid resprayed for me but I decided against it for the time being. I'm going to touch it in with the touch up pencil and keep an eye on it.

The reason is I don't want to have it resprayed if at all avoidable as things never go back the same once they're taken off for a respray.

They had a Polished Metal Accord in the middle of the showroom by the way so there still must be some left.

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same here no flaking also no clear coat.
    Mine is 2008 and fair bit older then your car John.

20150612_203230.

John Dickson and FirstHonda like this.
  18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Zoran it seems older 8th Gens are less troublesome.

I miss my 2009 CU1.

Had a few niggles with these CU3s. Not a picking of bother with the CU1.