Engine & Gearbox Flashing 'D' light

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Fraser May, Saturday 21st May, 2016.

1. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Hi, been a while since I was last here...life has been insanely busy and our 2002 CR-V has been soldiering on, a bit thirstily, but...145,000 miles. Anyway we have the 'D' light occasionally coming on, flashing. Pull over, turn off restart it's gone for a couple of days or a week. I've read, and watched much about what it might be on the web. Anyone had this?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Hi and thanks that sounds highly likely! After 14 years of life you kind of expect a bit of rust, even on a Honda. Looked at the thread...remove the front bumper....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! It's in for an MOT Monday, I'll ask the guys if they could check the codes, see if anything comes up. I gather that due to it being an intermittent fault, there may not be a code. We shall see. I'll post the results.
    Cheers,
    F

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Find out the code mate and I can look up the details for you.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Will do!
    Thanks.

6. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Rats! There seems to be no error code.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Then its case of removing the front bumper and looking for these earth points and cleaning them.

8. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Oh...goody...
    MOT came with advisories as well. Looks like I'm in for a new left front caliper and a few rubbery bits. Exhaust isn't in great shape either, it seems.

9. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    I've been having a stooge around the forums and, among other things downloaded a workshop manual in Pdf. Other suggestions about the D light flashing have included changing the ATF, a couple of times. There's an interesting page in the manual about hunting down intermittent faults by checking connections. Of course you need to know which sensor and where it is.... I don't...yet.

10. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Hi although I know their slightly different I wonder if you've had a quote for a new exhaust yet ? I only ask as when I was having some tyres swapped around recently the staff pointed out as I knew my exhaust was shot. It doesn't actually leak but all the wadding inside was blown out whilst driving one day.
    They quoted me £480 ! My reply was is it gold plated. I know I can buy online a complete cat back system with all fittings for under £70 delivered to my door. They then stated they would hand make me a stainless system for an extra £20 !
    This is the second time I've been quoted that way, although I know the £70 system won't be the best quality it comes with a 2yr warranty. Am I right in thinking fast fit centres are now shying away from mild steel ? Obviously nearly £500 is more than the cars worth mine having covered same miles but being nearly 20 .

11. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Eye opening! Thanks for passing that on. I'm just waiting for a new headlamp wash nozzle, as one was knocked off at some time in it's history and then I'm going to check that earth point behind the bumper cover! Sadly, We have decided to sell her. Living here on the Isle of Wight - and boy, are CR-Vs popular her - we decided to downsize, basically for financial reasons and bought an old Mitsubishi Space Star - weird name nice little runabout with room for the dogs.
    - - - Updated - - -
    PS Who did you get your exhaust from?
    Cheers

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Haven't bought one yet as still passed MOT ( and I'm enjoying the boy racer sound lol )
    But the quote was from ECP they've got sale on now so should be cheaper ! Obviously you may need just rear box which will only cost you about £30 and very easy to change yourself as already high off the ground.
    - - - Updated - - -
    If your selling take the bulb out ! Problem fixed lol

13. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Oh fie and Heaven forfend! That would be...awful. Nah I'm willing to take a bit of a hit on the selling price. I'm just too broke to fix much.