Electrical & Lights Flashing glow plug on dash

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rhinogolf, Wednesday 8th Feb, 2012.

1. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Hi guys after some urgent help after doing 300 miles since had new timing chain put on my night driver came back this morning and said car gone into limp home mode and flashing glow plug sign flashing on dash ,have taken car out and out of limp home mode but glow plug sign still flashing im guessing i need new fuel filter will the car still be safe to drive with this on until i get new filter or could it be more serious

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is unfortunate just after a major job, as you say it can be down to the fuel filter. Without looking at it makes it difficult.

Try changing the fuel filter and take it from there.

3. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    If keep driving until get fuel filter will this be ok or could i do serious damage(the manual scares me to death)

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well any limp mode isnt good for the car I would get it fixed at the earliest opportunity.

5. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good chance the fault will have cleared and logged after it's been turned off (30 seconds usually does the trick)...until next time.
    I'd go with the filter first, it's probably the cheapest thing to try first.

There's also this kind of thing: Elm327 Bluetooth Software Obd2 Eobd Can-bus Scanner Tool - soleobd.com which is pretty cheap if you want to know what the fault is.

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    you need find out what the fault is buddy. could well be the fuel filter but you may be looking in the wrong place altogether. HH will look after you if you can get the car to them

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave came over in the evening had a look at the car , his wife had already had the car examined so the pervious three DTC codes where removed. This also gave me the first chance to see this wonderful highly acclaimed EGR delete.... Let just say my initial doubts were confirmed after an lengthy data capture..least said the better.

Gave the car once over using the all diagnostic options available. The rest will leave Dave to comment upon.

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm intrigued CJ. Will wait for Daves comments though.

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ah right, I did wonder how & by whom the map was reversed.

10. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Me too. I`m tempted to go for this just to avoid any possible future problems with the EGR

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    +1. I'm intrigued to hear your findings as well. I was thinking of having an EGR delete after seeing the amount of sooty oily gunk already building up inside my intake manifold after only 30k miles.

12. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Wanted to wait and see what happened during the night regarding the flashing glow plug which returned at 3 this morning after was removed yesterday afternoon with 3minor codes the light came back on at 3am this morning after car was filled up the temp was -7 the light came on day before at-9. I went through to see cj last night who hooked the car to is computer and the outcome was shocking i don't no much about computers but what i saw in front of me made me realise how far out of sync my car was. After about 20mins of cjs wisardry he got everything back to how it should be I can't thank him enough and hope he can explain the outcomes better than i have.The cars driving lovely now but this light is back on. It was driven for over 12hrs yesterday with out reappering cj but it down to the temp will hopefully get new fuel filter but on today or tomorrow see if that makes a diffrence or might be cheeky and see if I can pop to see cj again regarding codes. Everyone can make there own minds up about remaps.

Last edited: Sunday 19th Feb, 2012
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave you are more than welcome to come down to get your car examined for FREE,

On Dave car the EGR test obviously failed as it removed. I have thoroughly analysed the cars data capture and the config it was crystal clear this car CANNOT be fixed as all the factory thresholds cannot be met. You cannot even try to pinpoint any of the issue as there is no standard platform or guide to refer from !!. So when you guys develop a fault on a tuned Accord and the file uploaded states it something to do with the car it is laughable!!! On what basis can they say that on technical grounds or probably are clueless?

Not one of the six core parameters are within spec on Dave car, so fixing these so called underlying faults with what ? a prayer and hope!!!

Then there is the exhaust temperatures were very high which again the owner will never know all the see and feel is the power gain, most worryingly the Turbo boost test failed Turbo Test failed on comparing the “MAP” sensor readings to the “MAP target” readings as these on correctly tuned or stock car should follow one another quite closely on Dave car there is a massive difference , infact HUGE!

This is basic common sense question?
    You have bypassed the EGR to stop this entering the engine, this excessive soot and with higher temperature from the remap will make more soot .it has to go somewhere and clog something else ... So what come after the exhaust manifold?

Please choose a reputable tuning firm with substance and not the one who make the most noise.

rayhoop, Paul and SayamaAccord like this.
  14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That sounds like a cause for some concern.

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I remember when you did this for me.My car was nearly spot on,only things that was out was injector 1 and 4
    My car was stock by the way.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup had some fuelling issues potentially new injectors or even a pump.

17. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very interesting and worrying at the same time. I wonder how anyone would stand with getting reimbursements for a new manifold from the mapper/file uploader. hmmm.

18. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Paul with the manifold i think im right in saying there's no diagnostic to find this problem its all smell and amount of soot they find i had mine changed with manual check.
    Went to work this morning and car back to full power running like a dream best its ever felt in 110k of my ownership this is obviously down to CJ and the diagnostics he did getting my car back to the correct settings he could i still need to get the remap removed by the programmer,i think the glowplug sign and loss of power even after came out of limp home mode was down to the temp as came across this today
    As the temperatures drop below 0°C, the molecules combine into solids, large enough to be stopped by the filter. This is known as the gel point, and generally occurs about -9.5 degrees. Still have not changed my fuel filter as been struggling to get someone to do it,so this is only the explanation i can come up with. Hope im not posting again in morning

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave can I ask who gave you this explanation? of this siltation. The Accord does have a fuel heater to mitigate the gelling effect and when your car was checked by the fuel heaters status and it was fine.

20. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    I came across it myself while looking for a explanation to my problem regards to the glowplug flashing and loss of power not limp home mode also I've noticed a lot more people have been having same probs this week including 3honda taxis in York when temps were in -9 region. Then when weather has warmed up my vehicle has gone back to full power and performance with nothing done to it.
    I never realised the car had a heater though,must just be down to the fuel filter.
    Has any one else a theory on this