Electrical & Lights Flat battery when car left

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Sebastian Taylor, Friday 31st Oct, 2014.

1. Sebastian Taylor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had an 06 ICTDI Accord Tourer for nearly a year. Whenever the car is left for 3 days or more the battery is dead.
    The battery is good, having been checked.
    None of the previous threads have seemed to address this issue as I find it.

I can only presume that there is an ongoing current drain after the ignition has been switched off.

Can this be readily diagnosed/remedied and is there a common fault associated with these symptoms?
    (I have heard it might be an oil level sensor staying on)

Thanks

2. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    I used to have that problem with my battery untill I bought a new one.
    I think the alarm system also drains some power.
    I tested it with a volt meter with the engine off and then with the engine on and it seemed good untill I took it to a battery place where they had a proper battery tester which showed it was bad regardless of the good voltage readings.
    I remember seeing on the tester a reading of Unstable Battery. I was a bit doubtfull but a new battery has proved otherwise.
    How have you had your battery checked?

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Does your car have HFT ?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You need to have your car checked by an electrician for parasitic drain. As @Duc de Pommfrit says above the HFT module (if your car has one) can be a culprit on this front.

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

There are some garages who can put a current drain tester on the battery to see how much it will deliver under various conditions, but if its the original battery it could well be it just isnt holding charge after a few days due to cells degrading. It may still deliver short bursts for starting (thats what they are designed for anyway) but its internal resistance may prevent it acheiving full charge or be causing it to drain of its own accord. Purley down to age. I have seen batterys reading full battery voltage but deliver no current whean asked to.

My moneys is on the battery but as mentioned a proper check would prove either way.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its a 2006 car if it's an EX then its the HFT module or the battery or both.

7. Sebastian Taylor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gentlemen, many thanks for your replies.
    The (new Bosch) battery has had a full diagnostic check and is up to scratch.

The vehicle does have the Hands Free Telephone option, but we havent worked out how to use it yet!

I'll be back in the UK and charging the battery tomorrow, I will also need a spare key too, these don't appear cheap!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A diagnostic check will not reveal the HFT is dead thou

9. gary o Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

grizzily south wales uk
    I had a similar problem a Peugeot I once owned I looked into everything and could not find the problem without help from car auto electrician and the problem was a broken wire in the door light when the door was close it was earthing out running the battery down repaired and solved the problem without his expertise like looking for a needle in a hay stack good luck

10. Sebastian Taylor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

...........So what will confirm the fault?

Haven't found an auto electrician willing to look at the car. So guess Honda, my only option

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would start by getting the HFT module disconnected and see if that cures the problem.

12. Sebastian Taylor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks.
    Is that easily done? (by self).

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  14. Sebastian Taylor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

15. Sebastian Taylor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    Read that and lots more about repairs etc.
    Is there a simple way to simply disconnect the HF system and isolate this issue?
    Thanks

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    By unplugging the green connector that is all, that is the simplest way why are you not confident in doing it ?

17. Sebastian Taylor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Confidence isn't an issue, assume the "green connector" to which you now refer is hidden behind the interior lighting console?

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds