General Flat battery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knuckles, Monday 15th Oct, 2012.

1. knuckles Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a lovely day at Pembrey Circuit yesterday and then went to start my Accord to leave-battery totally flat!I hadn't left anything on apart from the radio which surely wouldn't drain the battery,apart from flashing the headlights at the race winners as they did their laps of honour I haven't a clue as to how it drained,anybody any clues?The battery is a Numax 053-do I need a heavier duty one?
    Luckily most motor racing fans are great people and I was started quite quickly with jumper leads(what amperage jumper leads do I need)

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Knuckles before you open you wallet you need to ask how old is the battery in your car what is the AM ratting on the current Numax 0-53 battery?

ideally you want to get the battery checked out if it is in good condition , you may also want to have a look at this blog which outlines a few caveats in using battery.

Article: 7th & 8th Generation Honda Accord Long Crank Times? • Honda Karma

3. knuckles Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply,I did switch the ignition on and off a few times(to operate the windows),didn't realise everything stayed live for 10 mins!
    I have no idea how old the battery is,I can't see a mfg.date on it.Only information on it is Numax 053-360amp,12volt-45amps,330A(EN),360(SAE)
    hope this info helps-anything that stops me opening my wallet(except for beer tokens)is good news!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    it is the correct AM loading just get the battery checked out it.

if it is weak you can get a Genuine Honda battery cheaper than any of the local motor factors just ring Holdcroft Honda and you can avail our club discount .The battery will be dispatched free too

5. knuckles Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

O.K. will get it checked out and thankyou very much for your advice.

6. knuckles Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban Accord-just an update on the situation.I had the battery checked out and was told it needed a charge.(The alternator only puts in what is taken out,it doesn't charge the battery??)I put the battery on an overnight trickle charge,had it checked again and it was pronounced O.K.SO IT LOOKS LIKE THE WALLET WILL STAY LOCKED!Many thanks for your input.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the update Knuckles.
    The alternator does charge the battery.
    If you discharged your battery enough that you couldn't start your car and then bump started it, after a long enough drive you would charge the battery back up.
    Although it is good practise to trickle charge a battery when it's that low.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry Knuckles just picked up where we left off has this problem been cured after the recharge?

9. knuckles Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It seems to be alright now but I didn't really have a problem before that particular day.Thought it odd that the chappie in the battery place said that an alternator didn't put a charge back into the battery.I am,however now carrying a booster pack in the boot instead of leaving it in the garage where it was on said day!!Not much use in that!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well the chap is misinformed just get the alternator checked by a car technician if it is creating current, if it isn't creating sufficient current you may have a fault.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How ironic that a "battery chappie" doesn't what an alternator does :Rolf:

Knuckles, you should have asked this chap .. "ok so what component does the recharging ?"

I'm intrigued by what his answer would have been :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    it may have a Kers system!!

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    F1 technology huh.

Shame Honda aren't in F1 racing at the moment.

What's the chance of them coming back into F1 anytime soon ?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say now TBH,with the yen being so strong any expenditure will be good for Honda, hence the WTCC entry and to boost a end product sale i.e. Civic.

I can't see Honda coming back as a complete team but they may comeback as a engine supplier like Renault are now.