General Flip Key Remote

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Saturday 21st Feb, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I saw someone else's posts on here for their accord about replacing their key (with remote on it) with a flip key type, and was wondering if it would be possible to do the same for my Civic where the key and remote are separate.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to take the electronics out of the existing remote and put them in a flip key remote case.

- EDIT -

I was about to post this question and then saw on my eBay search results this result -
    2 btn flip key upgrade for Honda Accord Civic S2000 remote key with flat blade

I've gone ahead and ordered one, and will update this post with the result once it arrives.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I notice that they have 2 types of 2 button flip key remote cases, with different shape keys on them. I THINK I ordered the correct one for my car - I'll know in a few days :Smile:

The 2 options are -
    2 BUTTON FLIP KEY CASE UPGRADE FOR HONDA ACCORD Civic Jazz HR-V CR-V REMOTE KEY

and
    2 btn flip key upgrade for Honda Accord Civic S2000 remote key with flat blade - this is the one I ordered and which looks to match my current key.

2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

While I wait for my flip key case to arrive, I've been doing a little research on how to get the transponder out of the existing key, and found this handy video -

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Anyone know where I can get a small Honda logo I can stick on my flip key once it arrives? I could remove the black and silver on on my current key (which looks exactly the same as in the video above) before I demolish the key to get to the transponder, but to be honest, I'd prefer the red 'H' logo. such as the one @Nighthawk has on his flip key case (as shown in this post). I tried eBay, but my searching skills seem to suck, as I can't seem to find anything small enough to fit.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Some good research there Roger. Look forward to seeing the end result :Smile:

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Definetely prefer the red emblem to the stock black/gold one. Looks so much classier.

Looking forward to the end result

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I've moved this post into the guides section. Once the guide is approved, it can be accessed at this link.

Last edited: Wednesday 25th Feb, 2015
    Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

No need for me to do my DIY now - good work @RogerH69

Nice simple project which makes all the difference

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Tomorrow I will have the flip key cut to match my car, and will test it. I know the remote works, as I've already tested that :Grin:

10. Nighthawk Guest

The red emblem adds a nice touch too

I had to take it past Timbletons I think they were called to get it cut. The first blade they messed up on, the second blade they did was perfect.

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @Nighthawk - I guess the general process is the same for other cars / models, and the only issue for some people is getting the transponder moved across.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I really like the red emblem :Smile: SO much better than the boring grey / silver / plain black ones

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

The transponder in the 7th Generation is easier to access, but overall, its the same process depending on the fob you buy. I did it the other way round, I got the blade cut first.

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

When you "The transponder in the 7th Generation", are you referring to the Accord ?

14. Nighthawk Guest

Ah yes, I know what I meant, just didnt type it. :Laughing: Yes, I meant on the accord.

RogerH69 likes this.
  15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I went and had the key cut at my local locksmith, and I'm happy to report that it all works. Remote buttons work, key fits in ignition, and I'm able to start the car (yay - I didn't break my transponder).

The locksmith was quite impressed with my 'Chinese EBay special' when I told him the price, and also said he was surprised I was able to get the transponder out without breaking it :Smile:

He stocks keys with the remote buttons in them (not the flip key case), so I may get one of those as my spare (unless I can find a cheaper 'Chinese EBay Special')

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I forgot to mention that one issue I found with the new key is that I struggle to remove the key. After turning off the engine, I struggle to rotate the lock to the point where I can remove the key. I suspect that they may have cut the key just a smidgeon too short / not straight. Will have to see how it goes overtime.

-Update - I just noticed that if I insert the key with the buttons facing down (which I naturally tend to do, which is a good thing) then I am able to remove the key pretty much as normal.

Last edited: Wednesday 25th Feb, 2015
  17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

After using the flip key case a little bit now, and carrying it around, throwing it onto my desk a few times in anger (and people around me, not the flip key), I'm glad to say that it feels quite solid in the hand. The spring action is quite strong as well.

I noticed mention in another thread that some of these 'generic' flip key cases seem quite flimsy. The plastic case of mine seems to be of a decent quality, and I also like how the remote's circuit board fitted snugly in the flip key case (as long as it was in it's rubber surround). The only thing 'special' I had to do was to add the silicon sealant to hold the transponder in place.

The locksmith didn't indicate there were any issues with cutting the key (except it's not cut 100% the same, hence the issue removing the key sometimes, as detailed above) and the key itself seems to be the same dimensions as the OEM key.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the flip key case. Obviously only time will tell on how long it will last.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good work Roger, nicely documented too.

RogerH69 likes this.