Suspension, Steering and Brakes "Floating Steering"

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Jimbo7630, Thursday 17th Jan, 2013.

1. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    Tourer 03 - I have this strange "floaty" feeling in the steering as if the car would prefer to go where it wants to and I have to prevent this from happening. My local garage (not Honda) says that this is caused by the extra wide tyres "tramlining" but I am not convinced. I have heard of an instance with a different marque where the problem was corrected by fitting a replacement part in the steering mechanism (further details not known) Has anyone else had any similar experience?:Blink:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: "Floating Steering"

Extra wide tyres ? What size are they ?

I would have the tracking checked out.

I assume the car hasn't been kerbed or something like that which may have bent some part of the suspension ?

3. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    Re: "Floating Steering"

Tyre size 225/45 R17 91V Radial, Tracking has already been checked.

Suspension was checked last week because of potholes!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

So it's on standard tyre sizes.
    Suspension and tracking has been checked .. hmmmmmm are the tyres unevenly worn ?

5. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    No uneven wear, so these tyres are NOT "extra wide"?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

They are the standard size for the 7th Generation Accord.

They do look quite wide don't they :Smile:

Errrmm I'm flummoxed then :Unknown:

You could take a punt and swap your front wheels with your rear wheels, see if that helps.

EDIT -- It does sound like you have a suspension/steering issue somewhere. You could take it somewhere else to have the suspension checked again, get a second oppinion.

Last edited: Thursday 17th Jan, 2013
  7. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    Might try that, Thanks anyway.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You may have missed my edit as you posted whilst I was editting :-

"It does sound like you have a suspension/steering issue somewhere. You could take it somewhere else to have the suspension checked again to get a second oppinion."

9. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jimbo - check you ride height and make sure you don't have a sagging spring. Don't ask how I came up with this one! :Whistle:

10. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    Thanks,jayok and SpeedyGee

11. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    Update: Would this "Floating" feeling be akin to what Americans call "Loose Steering" and would adjusting/tightening the Steering Rack help?

12. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It could be, but normally it's an effect of the suspension. The Accord suspension setup is very sensitive to tramlining, tyres, alignment, pressure, worn bushes, etc. I'd be checked all that first before going at the rack. Is there play in the rack at all?

13. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    jayok, I have no idea if there is play in the rack, all I know is that if I take my hands off the wheel when going over a speedbump, the wheel will oscillate left and right then turn slowly to the left.

14. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Now that could be anything. If the front of the car is jacked and the steering wheel held solid, can you move (even slightly) the front wheels? i.e. grab one and try to move it left and right (from/away from you). Any clunking or noise could indicate a rack. You really need a suspension check though

15. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    I'v just paid for a suspension inspection/check, apparently nowt wrong!

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How have you checked for uneven wear by eye or by feeling the tread pattern?

18. Jimbo7630 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ayr
    Uneven wear check by eye.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well get the car up on a four post lifs get some gloves on rotate the tyres and feel the tread with the palms of your hands you will soon pick up an unevenness if any..

20. iwaters Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆