General Flush Mount Reversing Camera Mount Location

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerH69, Tuesday 4th Aug, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I was thinking of replacing my existing reversing camera (it on my number plate surround) with one of those circular flush mounted models. I just need to decide the location to mount it (i.e. where to drill the hole it plugs into.

Looking at my baby's butt in the picture below, do you think I should mount the flush mount camera -
    1. Where it is currently (i.e. move number plate down and install flush mount camera where current camera is)
    2. Below number plate (I would move number plate a little higher)
    3. In bumper (camera has black surround, so will look pretty obvious and out of place smack bang in the middle of the bumper)
    I'd prefer to mount it in the middle of the car, so that the image when reversing is balanced, or else I'd mount it on the right side of the license plate trim (i.e. where the EPS have a key). This is actually where I feed the current cables for reverse camera through the car, as there is a metal 'blind' where the key lock should be, which I drilled through.

86455_100_0089.

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    can you not get the ones that are integrated into the number plate light for your car??
    - - - Updated - - -
    like this one I got for mine

ebay 371135470447

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Not for the 7th Generation Civic, no.

Also, they would be off center. I actually had one that was screwed onto the bottom of the number plate trim, but being off center bugged me (It could not be center as the tailgate latch is in the way)

4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    If you went away from the flush mount, you could look at mounting it inside the car under the 3rd brake light, next to wiper housing (not sure what you would see at night with the tint) or under/in the spoiler. Otherwise another option is to color match the outside of the camera and mount in the bumper.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

My rear dashcam already has that spot, and asy rear window is tinted, I'd struggle to see anything at night.

I did consider colour coding the outer ring but thing the camera lens would still look out of place on its own in the middle of the bumper. It's still an option though, and I do like the idea of having the camera lower

6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Only problem with bumper mounting I can see if someone runs into you or you reverse into to something, it might damage it.
    I've been considering this option, but can't make my mind up :-/

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Ah well worth a shot.

I put one in the Mobilio in the bumper and having it quite low really helped with seeing bikes/balls/kids etc.

What about paint it and mount very low in the bumper where it curves back under the car? I shouldn't be as obvious, but muck and dirt might be a big issue.

RogerH69 likes this.
  8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

That is an option (quite a good one come to think of it :Smile: ), but I'm not sold on it being that low... I suppose I could duct tape it to the bottom of the bumper to test.

Still... £10... not sure what quality it's going to be at that price

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

A lot of those '360 degree' cameras are NTSC as well (will have to check if my HU supports NTSC - it should) and I don't think any of them have IR / nightvision.

I think I'll try the duct tape option, to see how it looks, as well as how it performs at night before I drill a hole in anything. I'm going to buy this one, as it allows me the option of deciding whether or not I want the integrated guide lines or not, and I will disable them, as my head unit has the ability to add fully adjustable guide lines to the incoming video signal.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I was just thinking that if the one I linked above works ok at night, but I don't like the angle of the camera when it's so low, I will use this one instead of the others, and mount it higher, as it sticks out a little from the body (therefore I an put it right up against the number plate holder, and the number plate holder won;t obstruct the camera) and it's adjustable.

Thanks @jd1959 :Smile:

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I have the opposite as I use the aux inputs on the inbuilt Internavi to display all my video feeds and it only supports NTSC I use which is will convert both directions if I'm inputting a dvd or laptop, luckly the dvb-t that I use as a media player as well will output in NTSC.

Not a problem hope it works out for you. I've been toying with adding a 4ch dvr as as dashcam and I've been looking at those cameras to mount under the wing mirrors and cover the rear blind-spots. Unfortunately that mod is a bit further down the list with LPG, and cruise taking priority when money is available.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'd leave it where it is, I can't actually see where it is? :crazyeyes: So it must be in a good location, defo won't go with the bumper, it will ruin the flow of the car with a circle bang in the middle of the car, regardless of color coding it I always fine aftermarket parking sensors for example stick out like a sore pimple.

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Red circle shows where it is at the moment, integrated into the top of the number plate holder.

86455_100_0089_2.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Ahh I thought that was part of the number plate holder :Laughing::Blushing: I like it like that it looks subtle.

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'd go for option 1 and keep it in the same location. Looks far less conspicuous.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your HU definitely supports NTSC, when you go into the settings menu then input section it will ask for auto/PAL/SECAM/NTSC IIRC

RogerH69 likes this.
  16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I went through to @nick-b and installed my flush mounted reverse camera. Simple enough job to be honest.

After I finally plucked up the courage to drill a big hole in my car (I had premonitions of my grip slipping and the hole saw going skidding across my tailgate......). Yes, that IS damage to the underneath of my freshly painted trim piece :Rant::Rant::Rant:. i WILL get the rust sorted some day....
    IMG_20150808_162924.

As is to be expected, the hole saw was a little too small for the camera to fit through, so I had to use a file to make the hole bigger, but I eventually got the camera fitted
    IMG_20150808_170342.

I then attached a new license plate surround. Yes, I KNOW it's not 100% level, but it's attached with Velcro so I can adjust it :Smile:. Everyone say 'Hi' to @nick-b who was battling with the brakes on his bosses Golf :Smile:
    IMG_20150808_171253.

Checked the camera worked still (I first checked it before drilling the hole :Smile: ) and then tidy up the cables.
    IMG_20150808_172355.

The camera came from factory displaying guidance lines, but if you cut one of the wires on it (which I did), the lines are no longer shown. This way, I could position the camera exactly how I wanted it, and then add guidance lines using the head unit itself. This shows the raw video signal from the camera. It's not the best quality, but then I only need it to see if it's clear when reversing (for £14, I wasn't expecting 1080 Full HD :Smile: )
    IMG_20150808_174047.

Using the head unit I can add guidance lines exactly where I want them
    IMG_20150808_174140.

And done :Smile:
    IMG_20150808_174559.

exec, MickyB, Nighthawk and 1 other person like this.
  17. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    looks neat.. . do you think it would be doable to mask of the lens and colour code the case??

RogerH69 likes this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Looks good mate - what you doing with that number plate surround you had on before with the rear view camera built into it?

RogerH69 likes this.
  19. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Looks good :Niceone:

RogerH69 likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good job :Thumbup:

It's always scary drilling holes into bodywork. I often have to do it to put in LPG fillers, that need 70mm holes.

I would mask over the area you are drilling and then mark and centre punch a hole to help avoid slippage on the drill bit.

On top of this you want to paint the newly exposed metal so that you don't start to develop rust around the hole.

exec likes this.