Electrical & Lights Fog light connector required

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by tomwillie, Wednesday 28th May, 2014.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Had cracked fog light unit replaced on 09 reg. 2.4EXi by main dealer and after several months the fog light bulb stopped working but came on when tapped so suspected loose connection. However, bulb eventually failed to come on after being tapped. When main dealer re-fixed the windscreen moulding I asked them to change bulb in fog light & ensure connection was correctly made.

Picked car up today & been advised that connector has melted & is not individually replaceable so requires new loom at cost of £2199.79 !!!!

In meantime the dealer is looking to see if a connector can be obtained off a crashed Accord.

Is it possible that when fog light unit was replaced that connector was not put on properly? Why did a fuse not blow instead of connector melting?

Suggestions as to obtaining a fog light connector would be most appreciated.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Never seen a fog light connector melted.. overheating can occur when connector not seated correctly. But that would equate to you using your fog lamps a lot which caused to melt.

if you used it just for the winter months it would have melted abeit slowly. Gutted for you bud. you can get pushin clips or a damaged car and get that to work. Use some di-electric grease too

3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks for prompt reply.

It seems that connectors with tails are available on eBay Accord Civic FR-V Stream Fog H11 Bulb Holder Connector | eBay

Dealer Service Manager is checking with workshop foreman if these are OK.

Fog lights only used occasionally on short journeys as I rarely drive at night. Fog lights were OK for over 4 years & only went on blink after fog light unit replaced so I guess connector was not pushed on fully when this work was done.

I'll ask for di-electric grease to be used when remedial work done.

4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Honda dealer technician advised that above would not fit!

However, obtained a H11 bulb connector from eBay for £2.50 including postage, it is supposed to be ceramic but looks like black plastic. Anyway, it fits H11 spot bulb perfectly but put silicon grease in wires end as rubber grommets around wires did not appear to make a good seal. Access to spots underneath with my sports front bumper did not appear as in users manual so took to dealer to fix. Charged £47.98 for 0.5 hours labour & technician advised no need to gain access from underneath - just undo cross headed screw at front of wheel arch & bumper can be pulled forward sufficiently to gain access to replace a front fog light bulb.

The technician made a soldered connection but if I have to repeat the exercise I would do it myself using crimped in line connector & heat shrink sleeve to waterproof the connection as shown on U Tube.

Fog light now works OK.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    excellent news do you have the burnt out connector? would like to see it.

6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    No I forgot to ask for the burnt connector back. At a SAAB dealer I used many many moons ago they always put any replaced items, except old oil filters, in a plastic carrier bag without being asked. In future I'll ask for this to be done by my Honda dealer i.e. worn brake pads etc, as I can easily dispose of after inspection.

For some protection I intend to put a vertical 50mm wide strip of clear Summit Lens Repair tape on each of the front fog lights when it is hot & tape can be moulded to curved shape of lenses. With hindsight I wish I had done this in first place when original OS fog light lens got cracked. Summit tape gets good reviews on Amazon, it comes in clear, red & amber & I successfully repaired my Son In Laws Audi red rear light lens which got cracked. By all accounts Summit Lens Repair tape is accepted by MOT stations.