Electrical & Lights Fog Light Replacement

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TheDarkKnight, Wednesday 4th Apr, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Took a punt on these:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Both my fog lights are badly cracked and need replacing. I love Honda, but am not paying the sky-high prices for OEM units when I won't be using that often.

Also gives me a chance to fabricate some clear plastic lense covers to provide additional resistance to stones and other low lying road debris that cause the OEMs to shatter in the first place.

I'll report back when they arrive and are fitted.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will be watching this mod closely , it beneficial to all the owners who haven't yet damaged both fogs like you and need an alternative.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure this will be something I can do either on my own or with the car on axle stands.

May take to mates garage and stick it on the ramp to do - that has to be infinitely easier to do. Speaking of which, are there any diagrams that show the installation of the foglights from the rear of the bumper?

I know I have the sport bumper, but the lights were taken out of the original one and fitted to it, so Im guessing the fixing points must be identical, even though the bumper exteriors are visually different.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The fitting is the same buddy but will dig something pictures for you soon.

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you going to be wearing your "Free authentic Blinglights cap" Its valued at $24.95 you know:Whistle:

Anyway, While the lights are out it may pay to go over the seem with silicone to stop any water getting in as once there fitted it would be a pain to do.

I was thinking of going to a vinyl sign company and getting two transparent discs made up to go over the fog lights to act as protection against stones. I'm not actually sure how much protection it would offer but I'd seen that sort of thing done to car bumpers so thought it may work.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't hate!

That cap is worth the money!! :Wink:

I'm going to (hopefully) fabricate a 1/4" thick plastic cover for the lights so if any debris hits the car, it'll hit those first and not the lights. My only gripes with the car (thankfully none of which are mechanical) are the fog light weakness and the speakers. Hey Ho...

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds good. One of the cars I nearly bought had both smashed too so it seems a worthy mod to do.:Wink:

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't mind so much if I used the damn things - but because the weather doesnt warrant it 90% of the time, I just like seeing them damaged. Grrrrrrrrr

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

YAY!

Lights have been dispatched!

(Although with the upcoming crappy weather, I doubt I will be installing them for another month or so....).

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lights came today.

Absolutely amazing quality hat. The lights are pretty good too! LOL

All supplied with bulbs as well (which I was not expecting) - just got to wait for a sodding DRY SUNNY day before I fit them.

11. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Touch wood my lights are ok (but do have a 7th Generation), get some pictures up Saj once done.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes will do mate.

Quite eager to get them fitted to be honest - if only the weather was better. Sigh!

13. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tell about it i've been trying to paint our fence and it's doing my head in. Whenever I get the brush out it rains!!!!

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Most of the Accord is not CANBUS anyway so thats one headache removed right there.

Also, fog lights are not part of the MOT so you need not worry if one front fog light works of neither of them do/or if they are broken. My only concern with "LED fogs" is that they may shine bright, but their light distribution is very poor.

But for £17 vs the £32m that Honda charge for the replacement fog lights, you cannot go wrong buddy - look forward to seeing the pics of these installed on your car :Thumbup:

15. Troy McClure Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Serves me right for posting too soon, but....

What I didn't account for is that the lenses of the originals don't point forwards - the curve of the bumper means they face about 15 degrees outwards. The reflector is shaped so the beam goes forward, and of course I'm not using that any more.

So I've fitted the left one (the easy one) and it's pointing way off to the left. Powered temporarily by battery charger until I decide what to do.

In two minds now. The spread of light isn't that bad and they point down (or can be adjusted to do so), and they're not that bright, so they're not going to dazzle anyone. The main reason I use front fogs is to better see the side of the road when there's no white line, so in that sense they'll be ok, but they'll be next to useless in fog. And they won't look quite right under close scrutiny.

But they will look better than cracked lenses. And I've done the hard work now.

Decisions, decisions.

IMG_9512.

Last edited: Friday 1st Mar, 2013
  16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you use them mostly for seeing the side of the road, then you may as well leave them as is.

Lets be honest, you won't be using them 24-7 so saves you messing about with them. I think that pic you posted is spot on :Thumbup:

17. Troy McClure Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They might prove to be no tougher than glass yet and smash within the week. Think I'll take the plunge and cut the plugs off and solder them in all the same - the plugs can always go back in if I want to revert to something more conventional.

Thanks for your advice.

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No probs buddy, look forward to seeing the completed article.

19. Troy McClure Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bugger - corrected a spelling mistake in my original post and it's deleted it. Or does it have to be reapproved by moderator first? Text repeated below (thanks to back button in Opera).

----------------------------------------------

I recently bought a 58 plate Accord Tourer with one fog light smashed and the other cracked.

After some deliberation and after finding that even the non-Honda lights tend to break pretty quick (Thanks TheDarkKnight for your info), I decided to go a different route.

There were two options:

1. Remove the broken broken glass and mount some completely different LED fogs where the glass used to go, so they sit inside the parabolic reflectors of the originals, then solder them into the Honda wiring.

2. Remove the broken glass and fabricate new lenses out of 3mm acrylic sheet, then replace the bulbs with LEDs so they don't get too hot.

I decided to go with '1', mainly because I'd ordered the new fogs from Hong Kong before I thought of '2', but also because one of my reflectors was badly corroded where the lens had obviously been broken for some time.

I ordered these fogs: 2PCS 9LED 12V/24V Daytime Running Light DRL Off-Road Head Light Jeep Truck SUV | eBay

And a sheet of black ABS: 1 x Black ABS Plastic Sheets (250mmx180mmx3mm) D NOT Perspex Acrylic or PVC | eBay

I removed the lights from the car. Right hand side is a real pig because screenwash reservoir and aircon? components are in the way - I had to use a screwdriver bit with an adapter and 1/4" socket wrench for the top screws as there was no room for even a stubby phillips in there. It was that or take the bumper off.

On each lens there is an oval trim held in place by four clips. With this removed I could remove the broken glass with a pair of pliers and cut away the excess silicone that held the glass in place. I then drew round the reflectors onto the acrylic sheet, cut with a pair of sharp (now blunt) scissors, finished with an angle grinder until the right shape. They're not quite round mind... Then I used a hole saw to make a hole in the centre (best guess) to accept the new lights (removed brackets that came with them). They have a lip about 1 cm from the lens, then taper to the back so could be pushed in until snug, albeit a centimetre proud. Once happy, I glued them in place, glued the acrylic/lights onto the reflector where the lens used to be, passing the wires through the hole that used to take the bulb. The oval trim then holds everything together tightly- 3mm is about right without modification.

Last job is to solder fit them to the car and solder the wires in. Job for tomorrow I think.

They should look pretty good and were a damn sight cheaper than the alternatives (£17 the lot). Hopefully the plastic lenses of the new lights will prove more resilient than the glass ones. Time will tell.

Photos below:

View attachment 7793 View attachment 7794 View attachment 7795

Hopefully won't be issues with MOT, but I don't think they'll even notice - front fogs aren't an MOT item. If they need adjusting, all the mechanism is still in place. No issue with Cambus either - front fogs appear not to be monitored.

Hope this helps someone.

Troy.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Troy if you have a post count of 5 or under and you make a post with external URLs in it, it will sit and wait for moderator approval.