Electrical & Lights Fog Light

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ray Ambrose, Friday 5th Oct, 2012.

1. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    Was just washing my car when I noticed that the front drivers side foglamp lens had smashed. Light still worked so phoned my local Honda dealer...."you cannot just buy the lens, you have to buy the whole foglamp". "It costs £Blah, and the fitting is £Blah, and vat is £blah. I could hear his little calculator burning out and ...phew...£257... yeah pounds......

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Acura TSX fogs will be US spec lights, not homologated for Europe.

There are new ones on Ebay for £50

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Considering how infrequent they are used (certainly by me anyway), I don't think it matters if they are not EU-spec. Besides, there are plenty of chavmobiles breaking a litany of EU motoring directives with their misaligned headlights and lame HID lights before I worry about non-conforming fog lights that are seldom used! For me at least, it worked out significantly cheaper too. Thankfully with my Xenons, I think I have only ever used the fog lights perhaps twice, if that. Just nice not having broken/damaged fog lights. :Thumbup:

5. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    both of mine where cracked i got the grage to replace them before i had the car then i got some yellow tint film and put that on to protect them hopfully they will be fine now

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Fog lights are far brighter than headlights. Being designed for the US they will shine straight into the eyes of oncoming drivers. It's bad enough when people have badly aligned headlights. At the least this would be annoying at most you could blind oncoming drivers and cause an accident. I really wouldn't recommend this as an option. It doesn't matter how infrequently you use them, it does matter that they aren't EU spec. Not only will the police pull you over if they catch you while you're using them. But technically your car is un-road worthy.

Is fog light alignment part of the MOT test?

7. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    No front fogs don't come in to an MOT can only advise on them not workin

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not compared to Xenons, thats why I bought the cheape TSX ones from the States. Add to the fact I virtually never use fog lights, they are pointless if you have (OEM) Xenons with self levelling.

No they won't. That applies to headlights only since US headlights flick up to the right (left for us here in the UK). Foglight aim is usually arrow straight, irrespective of what country you're in as they are NOT classified or operated as the main source of road illumination.

Police are too stupid to notice the difference let alone single me out on a foggy day to say "your foglights arent EU compatible" - unless they physically removed them, they have no way of proving it.

Also, what on Earth has roadworthiness got to do with fog lights? They arent part of the MOT test (yet) and are not used for everyday driving and have absolutely no bearing on a cars roadworthiness since it is an ad-hoc electrical/illuminated device that has ZERO effect/reaction/link to a cars mechanical elements.

Sorry, but you're barking up the wrong tree with some very misguided comments/scaremongering.

Last edited: Friday 19th Oct, 2012
  9. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    i can't see how they will come in to mots cause there isnt a fog light aligment tool and not all cars have fogs same as a middle brake light isnt part of an MOT

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The xenons may be brighter but the beam is more directional, down and towards the kerb, fog lights have a broader dispersal of light so a smaller deviation from standard will have a greater potential to affect other road users. How often you use them has no bearing on their suitability.

‘Usually arrow straight’. It’s good to see your research was thorough and you didn't just assume they'd be ok.

So, by your own admission, the police have a way of proving that your lights aren’t compatible with EU roads then!

I don’t use my headlights every day but they are classed as being needed for everyday driving as they form part of the MOT. So to claim that because you don’t use your fog lights every day they don’t form part of everyday driving is a rather thin argument. My headlights have zero/reaction/ link to the cars mechanical elements as well but this make absolutely no difference to their road worthiness so this also adds no validity to your point.

Fog lights do form part of the MOT test! If your car is fitted with fog lights at point of manufacture then they must be present and operational when the car is presented for inspection. If the car is fitted with fog lights after the point of manufacture they must be working if they are fitted when the car is presented for inspection. So yes they do have a bearing on the cars road worthiness.

Your motive for fitting tsx lights seems purely financial which appears to be an overriding factor in your opinion of their suitability for use on UK roads. My comments are neither misguided or scaremongering, they are out of concern for other road users. Something which you seem to be lacking because your attitude appears to be ‘it doesn’t matter because I won’t use them very often!’. Unfortunately when you do use them it will be under very poor driving conditions and you won’t be the one who has to contend with your handy work, it will be other road users.

Lights are marked as EU compatible for a reason, because they are compatible to be used on EU roads. If your lights aren’t marked as EU compatible you have no way of knowing for certain that they are suitable to be used on EU roads.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Frankly thats all that concerns me. I stand by my point that I can live without fog lights. Just because I have them fitted to the front of my car doesnt mean I have to use them, unlike the rear one which is compulsory to use when foggy. There is no law that denotes that front fog lights have to be used when foggy. :Blink:

Sorry that my sweeping generalisation wasnt good enough for you. I thankfully do not have the time to inspect every vehicle on the road to check their conformity. You're most welcome to do it on my behalf if you wish.

Again, you miss the point - unless the Police stop me (for whatever light-related infringement), there is no way to tell the TSX/Honda foglights apart. Even the part number(s) are the same. :Pinch:

Headlights form part of the MOT because they are headlights. How many cars do you know of that are either manufactured without headlights or have foglights and no headlights? Thats why they are part of the MOT and why foglights are not. Duh!

Yawn. Do your homework. They arent part of the MOT. I had my first MOT just two weeks ago at my local Honda garage and they never even turned them on, let alone "check" them. And yes, I was there throughout the test to verify it.

I've never denied my motive was financial. Only an idiot would pay inflated prices when the very same component can be sourced for a better price. Isnt that why this site has an affiliation with Holdcroft Honda? To save money on parts/consumables?!?! Duh!

As for the EU compatibility baloney - think about how many French-made cars on the EU mainland have foglights while being driven on the opposite side of the road. Those same cars also are found in the UK with the same foglights when the car is driven on the opposing side (A Renault Megane for example) - so it matters naught about the foglight distribution since they are NOT directional beams like headlights which do make a difference. Its the headlights that are different.

So yes, your comments are scaremongering and misguided because you have not shown a shred of evidence to support your theory that TSX foglights are somehow inferior or incompatible to those found on identical cars in the UK - in this case the 8th Generation Accord - espcially when the manufacturer and part numbers for Acura and Honda are identical. Next you'll be saying that foglights from Honda in Japan are unsuitable because they werent made in England :telloff:.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Gents could it be possible to get a picture of the TSX fog lamp glass , on it it does have markings to suggest which homologation they are approved for We can then compare the ones found on our cars and settle this debate.

13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lights homologated for use in Europe should have an E letter on them I believe?

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"Should" being the operative word.

On many of my previous cars where I have changed fog lights due to cracking, I don't recall seeing any markings. Headlights however are different where such identification is mandatory (in the EU). And in all honesty I can't remember if the fogs on the Accord had any markings on them. Its not something I fret about since I don't use front fog lights like many a chav does.

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Well in that case I'm f***ed because my whole car was made in Japan. :Rolf:

I'm not sure where you're from as it doesn't say on your profile but clearly the police have better things to worry about than headlights. Round my way the police are quite happy to pull you over and give you a ticket for such an offence. It's their staple diet this time of year. Which suits me fine because personally I don't think there's any excuse for badly aligned headlights or blown bulbs.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I travel up/down the country all week - and in any case, the issue on this thread is fog lights, not headlights. Not all cops care for fog light infringements, especially if they are not turned on and thereby rendering them impossible for the plod to determine whether they are EU compatible or not.

17. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Ray scour ebay i got a river side unit off a salvage car for £30 plus the obligatory postage front screw had rusted out so had to carefully drill it out but easy enough.

Cheap genuine second hand ones are about. Mine passed MOT with broken lens just got an advisory telling me.

Good luck bud.

18. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Anyway after all the arguments, my drivers side is being changed on Saturday morning, so I'll report back if they did it through the bulb change hatch, or they had to take the whole bumper off.

Does anyone know if the front skirt on a GT model has to come off separately to the bumper? i.e. first and then the bumper.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would think it will come off the bumper in one go I see can't why it needs to be removed before the bumper.

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Skirt is bonded to bumper so will come off in one go.

PS - no one is arguing - I was (politely) point out facts and rightfully poring scorn on some ill-contrived scaremongering remarks that frankly weren't needed. :Thumbup: