Body, Paint & Styling Folding Mirror madness

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by David Redmayne, Tuesday 19th Aug, 2014.

1. David Redmayne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Chester
    2006 Civic 1.8 ES

The folding mirrors on my Civic are behaving most strangely. If I try to fold them up, NS goes to the correct up position while OS sort of goes ½ way. Now try and bring them to the in-use position and the NS swoops gracefully downwards to almost point at the floor while the OS sort of goes back to normal.

I know one answer is to leave down but does anyone know how to fix this issue please?

Thanks

David

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Anyone ??

3. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Found this on another site...Electrics electric folding mirror fault need help with part no - Page 3 - Civinfo

Maybe have a look ..,

The fault with these mirrors is not the whole regulator it's the small poly switch that sticks out the top, if you carefully cut the pollycast sealant away (dremel is very handy) you can solder a new one to the legs of the old one. The parts can be obtained from RS components for about 20p each, the only snag is you have to order 10 and there is £4.60 postage but that is still very cheap.

Part number is RXEF030 (72 xf030) for info it's a 72 volt 0.3amp resettable fuse, it is good for about 100 resets before the trip current starts dropping and the component trips before the mirror is fully folded.

I've just fixed both my mirrors with a cost saving of £140 icon_smile.

David Redmayne likes this.
  4. David Redmayne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Chester
    Thanks - I'll have a go. What's the best of stripping down the mirror assembly please?

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This may help. Not sure of the sequence, but at least you can see what's there.:Smile:

Civic 1.8 ES mirror.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Must resist to say anything againt swindon .. must resist ..:Lipsrsealed:

7. David Redmayne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Chester
    Well at least it will be an 'entertaining' project!

Ichiban likes this.
  8. David Redmayne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Chester
    OK - so poly switch replaced on both sides and Driver's side works fine now. However N/S still behaving badly and I've spotted something else. The mirror pivots on a large metal 'thing' - sorry not a clue what it is - which is attached to the door part of the whole fitting. On the mirror itself is a lug which located into the metal 'thing' when the mirror is in the correct down position. On mine, this position appears have moved through a few degrees making the mirror stop beyond the correct point. The metal item appears very well fastened and so I can only assume the locating lug has moved (it looks like the mirror received a bash before I acquired it).

I'm unable to move the lug (or the metal thing) and hope someone else has come across this issue before and can advise please?

Thanks

David