Off-Topic For all the people who hate Apple

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RobB, Thursday 24th May, 2012.

1. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For all the people who hate Apple, at least they vet their Apps.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9286538/Fake-Android-apps-scam-costs-28000.html

Get what you pay for I guess.

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    This sort of activity is on the increase and will only get worse. But that's what you should expect when you use an unregulated service.

They will have to start vetting their service soon otherwise the android store will become rife with this sort of activity and it will be brought to its knees.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When I heard that on the radio immediately said Android,I was always amazed how quickly Android accepted aps once submitted.

They will have to screen & test them more rigorously.

4. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    This is a very scary situation. And, i'm very surprised they don't test the apps for spyware/viruses before allowing them to be listed. Imagine if this app was a keylogger and could track you while accessing your bank on this device. That could cause untold harm to each individual as their bank account was hacked. Something to consider when downloading these games/apps. Even if you are getting them free or low cost, often they're not a real deal.

5. Felicity Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I don't think anyone really hates Apple but they do dislike being made to feel inferior for not using Apple. And, of course, owning Apple products myself, I do feel as if I have an advantage. Maybe that comes across as snobbery though to a non-Apple owner. As for this situation, it's unfortunate but the situation in the world. You need to be careful with what you download onto your phone or computer. That's just the way of things. Nothing is truly free.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Android nearly have as many security flaws as BMW.

John Dickson and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Nearly :Smile: got a way to go you to catch BMW
    My phone gets nicked its a couple of £ to replace if your Mr German crud BMW is nicked its tens of £ :Grin:

Plus I don't hate apple I have an mac.. when i can get on it, as the kids also like it this is a superb bit of kit..

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When you install an app on your PC that you've downloaded, are they "vetted" ?

No they are not, it's up to you to insure you research the app that your downloading. Same applies with apps on your phone, you shouldn't blindly install anything on a whim. Research the app first and pick the best one.

If you don't want freedom of choice and want someone else to make decisions for you and check things for you then Apple is the way to go.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seems a bit harsh. I have freedom of choice with regards the Apple app store and make my own decisions.
    But I do expect a company that wants to be respected to check what they offer is not stitching their customers up.
    Apple vet their apps to protect their brand not their customers, something that Android needs to learn quickly.

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but have joined the 21st century today and bought an I-Pad.

Never used an Apple device before (or any sort of tablet) but have fully set up in about 10 minutes and finding it so easy to use!!

Any tips for a novice?

Is it really true that I don't need anti virus on it?

12. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I only clicked on this thread because it was trending. Some serious removed being spouted by 'superior' Apple users. WOW!

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Rob, watch the language - no need to be so antagonistic towards people. I'm no Apple fan, but they're right about Android apps not being vetted as heavily. As Speedy says, like on a normal Windows machine - you have to watch what you download, it's common sense.

14. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Come on man, it was hardly expletive of the month, aren't we all adults on here?

BTW, it's not necessarily vetting as you put it, Apple places ridiculously stringent controls on developers and make them jump through far too many hoops to be able to write an app for their precious OS.

Just like they do with their users.

15. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    It's stuff like this that rubs me up the wrong way. What a load of elitist nonsense.

Pathetic.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Mate, personally I don't have much issue with it when it's not direct towards people, ie. "something takes the piss" - but as a group staff decision when the rules were revised it was decided that they weren't to be allowed when directed towards people or their opinions. It's just to keep the board clean and professional :Smile:

I know Apple's developer guidelines too well, although I mainly deal with web based dev, I have to deal with it time to time - it's not fun and can be quite OTT. At the same time, it does offer a more uniform experience and keeps low quality content out (read between the lines, technology illiterates can't download fake apps).

I too have no love for Apple or iOS, though I do admire their hardware design. I don't agree with the statement made either, and I certainly don't think Apple is the pinnacle of mobile experience, though I do credit them as a pioneer. Past couple of years though they've just been playing catch-up, watch the new iPhone be about a larger screen like all the Android competition. Android has now hit a peak of 85% market share, Apple are really hurting lately - and it's because they've stagnated churning out minor upgrade for a couple of years now.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't use Apple devices but I'm sure the guys here with iPads and the like would advise against anti virus programs. If you jailbreak it then I'd seek further advice.

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm also an Apple "hater" but in their defence, they have propelled so many older folk into this tech age (no offence to current Apple owners). The fact that it is so easy to use means that 70+yr olds can pick it up and do so much more. On top of that they've constantly made good looking phones (only beaten recently by LG G3 + HTC One series).

When I got my first android (HTC Hero) I loved tinkering with things, rooting, custom ROMs and the like. These days I've got a much better phone but I do very little with it as I don't have the time - in all honesty an iPhone could do everything that my M8 does and I wouldn't be hindered - but at least in the future if I want to custom ROM etc then I have the possibility of doing so.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I think this sums it up perfectly for me. I'm useless with tech, and hate my Samsung smart phone. I just wanted something simple to keep me online when I'm away and I'm amazed at how simple this thing is!!

In the shop I played with a couple of options and this was the one that worked for me, even though others had better specs, screens and suchlike.

20. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know exactly how you feel about Samsung phones Ed. After 4 months of perseverance and sheer frustration I have ditched my Samsung smart phone. My Samsung TV is great but the phone was utter turd.

Lock ups due to apps that I don't even use running away with the full memory, having to practically dismantle the phone four times in an hour to make phone calls, bill over four times the size to normal due to having apparently exceeded my data allowance fourfold (this was not me it was the phone downloading at random in the background - thankfully EE agreed that it wasn't typical of my usage and refunded the excessive charge on the bill fully)...

Frustration drove me back to my Nokia Lumia 710 Windows 7 phone and it was a joy to use after the Samsung rubbish - can see why some people call then Samdung!

After a week the 710 died so I bought Nokia Lumia 635 W8 phone as it showed what I was missing using the Samdung.

The bloke in the shop said that iPhones are not great their phones are so far behind compared to their computers . He said Apple computers are the best bar none, but their phones are hopeless you're paying for a brand by the sounds of it and paying for a badge - the Audi of the phone world by the sounds of it!

The Windows 8 phone has 8th Generation Accord tourer as a downloadable wallpaper so I've made the right decision I think. :Hooray:

FirstHonda likes this.