Pre-Purchase Found a 2005 Jazz

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by Whiteywifey, Sunday 21st Jun, 2015.

1. Whiteywifey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Aindrea Aylesford
    looking to purchase a 2005 Jazz and have a few questions re CVT gearbox and how much trouble that can be? Need to find out if it is a CVT, were all 2005s? The car is listed for £1595 with 72k miles, seem a fair price? Also read on honest John that Japanese cars start to go after 5-7 years ( don't agree, drove a brand new Mazda for 7 years and only changed tires and spark plugs once, only sold it as I immigrated) and the Jazz becomes unreliable after 5 years. Just wonder if anyone could shed some light on if this car may be a good buy?

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Welcome to HK firstly, feel free to pop along to the Introduce yourself section and tell us something about you.

The Jazz's have got documentated issues with their gearboxes where the bearings CAN give trouble, other than that, they are bullet proof. Not all Jazz's suffer this problem, I don't think we ever have had any on here. We often have discussions on here surrounding reviews on cars from such places like Honest John who all seem biased towards VAG group cars. Japanese cars are some of the most reliable cars out there.

It comes down to how they are looked after in the end, fair play on your Mazda still being happy if all you did was change the plugs in 7 years, the missus likes the Mazda 6

Is the price fair? Depends on the car and condition etc. Got any pictures? Links?

3. Whiteywifey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    My gut reaction....

1 - Dealer? Really? Any reputable dealer will be providing a dealer website and landline not just a mobile
    2 - Clearly parked on a residential street
    3 - Language being used in the advert is not what a professional would use, appreviations like "plz" raise flags for me
    4 - This is a private sale and the person is using the trade seller premise.

Personally, I would look elsewhere, something doesnt feel right about that advert

You can always call them up and say "Just calling about the car for sale". A private seller will normally respond straight away, as most private sellers arent selling more than one car. A dealer will ask which car you are talking about. I've done it a few times myself, its an easy way to catch someone out.

The way I look at it, if they are being dishonest about how they are selling a car (saying they are a trade seller when they are private), what else are they hiding

chris2982 likes this.
  5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    There are plenty of other Jazz out there. I agree the advert is a bit suspect. When looking at a Jazz give it a drive first. Manuals will have a noticeable noise that increases with speed if it needs mainshaft bearings. If it's CVT auto pull off from standing by flooring it and if there is a notable judder it needs a start clutch

legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Whiteywifey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good points, will definitely take your tip and call about "the car." I bought my current car from a dealer and they didn't have room for it at the garage so had to go collect it from somewhere else, and my husbands car which also came from a dealer had photos taken on a residential road as well, because the garage was so small they couldn't have taken a decent photo as they were packed so close. I think both of those had mobiles listed on the advert as well, come to think of it.

In any case, I'm not desperate to get rid of my car so definitely looking around.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also like the look of this one. Any thoughts?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...del/Jazz/price-to/2000/page/1/usedcars?desc=1

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Whiteywifey any feedback how if your search has progressed ?

8. Whiteywifey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Decided to stay clear of the first one I posted above. Found another I liked but was already sold. Hopefully seeing another tomorrow evening!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. Whiteywifey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a closer look at the dealer, seems sketchy. Back to square one...