Service & Maintenance FR-V 2.2 diesel front calipers

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by garf8v, Monday 16th Feb, 2015.

1. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there, I have an 07 plate 2.2 diesel ES. The front calipers are sticking, so after I recovered from the shock of the price from Honda, I looked at recond units...BUT after careful looking at the details, it seems that nearly all refurb calipers are for the petrol FR-V which has 23 mm thick discs whereas the diesel has 25mm thick discs. I have found a pair of calipers, which includes the carrier, for the diesel(by Blueprint) at £280.00 each...
    Am I right to assume that the actual caliper casings are different? and therefore I should endure the extra cost for the above.?
    Or can I use a recond caliper for a petrol FR-V at a much reduced price?
    I have considered rebuilding with a piston kit, although the casing bore may be corroded as well, but don't have the time to do it myself nor the money to pay someone, I think it easiest to just swap the calipers over. ( I have rebuilt bike and other car calipers before, and know it always take longer then anticipated).
    Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How about taking your current caliper to a company called biggred they will service them and paint them. IIRC a set can be done for 120 quid.

3. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban
    I did think of that, but I don't want the job to drag on, I would have to post/courier the calipers, then if the bores are not good...they have to source them, and so the costs escalate...and the car is sitting on stands. I just wanted to swap the calipers, I have done the rears, after replacing all the pads and discs( genuine Honda, which is how I know the discs are 25mm)
    I am correct that the discs/calipers are different on the diesel?
    Thanks

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't know if the discs sizes are different but will look into it now.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Looking at the part number are different but the dimensions look the same the only difference is the weight the diesel one are way heavier so you hunch will be accurate they are thicker.

So the caliper and disc pads are different too.

1.8 petrol 45251-S7A-E10 Net weight (kg) 5,135
    2.2 diesel 45251-SJH-E10 Net weight (kg) 7,200

5. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On the Honda discs it has the thickness stamped on them, when I ordered via eurocarparts, the paperwork with the caliper(they only had one) said disc size 23mm, which didn,t seem right so I cancelled and have tried to investigate further, but I haven't got much access to part numbers for different models, and the part numbers don't tell what sizes they are.
    Your help is appreciated, thanks.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have your inspected,cleaned and lubricated the slider pins? Are you sure the piston is the issue?

8. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, when I did the pads, I cleaned and regreased the pins and when I tried to ease the pistons some time later, the pins were still sliding OK, It was the piston that was stiff. I tried a bit of silicon lube behind the dust cover which helped for a bit, but the stickiness has returned. Its a low mileage car, nd the rear discs were rusty through lack of use, so I expect the pistons are probably the same....Its really whether the disc width affects the caliper width which would make the calipers different between petrol and diesel, to justify the expense of the blueprint parts any other..

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you have the ability, it would worth tracking down a refurb kit and trying to refurb the calipers yourself. It depends if your are comfortable doing this or not.

10. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had thought of that, but have found in the past that if the piston is rusty, usually the bore is as well. Then the time factor comes into play...if I squidge one rubber, I can't get them individually...and the kit is expensive. The car is on stands....then it rains/snows when I can get to it again. I am getting a bit old for all that now!!

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah yes, fair enough :Smile: