Engine & Gearbox FR-V 2.2 i-CDTi MIL Lamp - Emission?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bones126, Tuesday 19th Aug, 2014.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi

I have the MIL lamp come on and is staying on, I've tried the suggested 3 starts at 30 second interval with no luck :Frown:
    Does anyone know what is causing this? Is there a DIY solution to the problem or is it a dealer visit?

Thanks in anticipation of any help given.

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi you need to get the code read either by Honda or by someone with a decent fault code reader.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi Dave

Thanks for reply, yeah looking that way. better start looking for a trusted dealer local in Brum then :-/

Thanks for you reply.

4. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I bought a wifi code reader off eBay for £11 and the DashCommand iPhone app for £6 but there are droid variants I'm sure. This enabled me to see problem code and description and reset.
    Turned out my fault with intake control (swirl flap valve stuck open) is more of an occasional glitch now I have the ability to reset the light at will.

5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    OK so time for the :Blushing: and the :Happy: smillie.,
    Thanks to the internet I have now been and tightened the fuel cap and the light has gone off!! yup, a loose fuel cap, requires three clicks or more lol

I hope this in future saves someone else from thoughts of expense.

Ben, thanks for the reply. Interesting. will look into that. Cheers

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    uum don't see why fuel cap that would take the MIL off.. but stranger things have happened.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There is a DTC P1457, EVAP control system leakage, that can pop up on cars that have EVAP control systems.

Whether the FR-V has EVAP control system or not I don't know. If it did then a loose filler cap may well cause a DTC. Although I don't think this happens on Hondas.

8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I know it seems too easy, but having seen it go off after tightening the filler I am now a believer :Smile: It does also coincide with filling up with fuel the night before they day it came on :-/
    Fingers crossed that is it, if it happens again I shall get it diagnosed. But have order the wifi code reader anyway as I like gadgets :Smile:

Thanks for the reply guys, liking this place. Silently taking it all in.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Ben28 Could you please add your OBD wifi dongle and DashCommand app to this thread OBD reader reviews | Page 2 • Honda Karma and do a brief review on it please. That would help others in choosing a OBD reader.

Nels likes this.
  10. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    In-fact an EVAP related error should be logged if the filler cap is missing or loose during operation as it will be picked up by self-diagnostics, which are run to detect leaks in the EVAP system- we can assume that a fairly major leak would result in a MIL. The FR-V petrol does have the EVAP system and I'd be pretty certain that the diesel does too.

PP

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Still OK today so looks like it was the filler cap not on tight enough :Smile:

Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It's a result either way you look at it, I know the FR-V does use multiplex electronics so could that be a reason? Can't say.

13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Just an update on this, while using Shell I have not since had this problem, but the other day I got caught short and had to put a tenners worth of Esso in and low and behold the MIL lamp came on again! I ran that down until the fuel light came on and then filled up with BP Ultimate and within 2 miles the light had gone off.
    I was using Esso when I posted this thread so maybe that's the answer, but will be avoiding the Esso here possible from now on.

14. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    The difference I have seen in MPG between shell vpower and Tesco is all the proof I need that there must be a substantial difference in the two products.

Bones126 likes this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    All fuel comes from the same refinery however supermarket fuels add extra additives etc which lowers the efficiency of that fuel. The branded fuel tend to keep a higher standard as that is their sole business as such. Supermarkets don't need to use the same business model as they make loads of money through the sale of their produce. I don't touch supermarket fuel, hate the stuff. I love VAG drivers who do use supermarket fuels because I know that I will carry on sailing straight past them when their car worth 10 times mine sits on the side of the road :Grin:

Bones126 likes this.
  16. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Sorry, deleted, had a looong monday, just wrote simply big nonsense :Messed:

17. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Interesting :-/ any ideas on the reason for the warning or why you come to this conclusion. Cheers.

18. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    No, sorry, I had a read error - skimming through the text I first thought, your OBD reader got a
    (for I-CTDI unknown) DTC 1457, but I think, you just havent checked her for fault codes?

19. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Yeah, need get the code checked to be curtain, but as it goes off assume the problem is no longer there?