Aftermarket Kit FR-V 2.2 remap

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by kes, Saturday 11th Apr, 2015.

1. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,
    Got my brother the computer wiz to purchase a map only version from Celtic tuning. He used the gelato cable but was saying a mpps cable might have worked also. I don't have much details on the actual process but can comment on the drive ability.
    Overtaking is now effortless, much nicer to drive. Clutch is now slipping more than ever but I knew it was on its way out. The best point was did a 100 mile trip today and previous to the remap been disappointed with the fuel economy of 40-42 MPG. Today I managed 46.8mpg and I wasn't hanging around. Hopefully this will pay itself off in no time and help fund my clutch!

Bones126 likes this.
  2. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

have you upgraded the brakes? They are poor on stock power never mind mapped!

3. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No they are stock brakes. True they are not good and was surprised how small the fronts are considering the weight they need to handle fully laden. Any options for upgrades? I'm not driving the car any faster now, its the MPG that always sways me towards power increases. Going to research decats next.

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I put yellow stuff pads on. A nice improvement for not much money.

kes likes this.
  5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Decatting can lead to over boosting issues. I'd concentrate on getting the clutch sorted.

There is currently a price war between CG Motorsport and TDi North regarding uprated I-CTDI clutches and SMFs. There is a lot more clutch info on the civinfo forum, including this thread:
    Clutch Confused with clutch options - Civinfo

Last edited: Monday 13th Apr, 2015
    kes likes this.
  6. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Dieselpower I will check out yellowstuff pads. I have read over some of your posts about upgrading brakes which are interesting. How are the yellowstuff in regards to squealing or eating up discs? I had them on a previous car which they didn't work out on (car was massively overbraked from stock) they might work better on the FR-V.

Zebster thanks for the info, I will read over that thread thanks.

7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The pads don't squeal at all for me. They do give off more dust than my previous pads. Discs seem fine, although I don't do big mileage. They also bite better than stock. Having used them for over a year i'm not hugely impressed by the sub 40mph braking, only 15% improvement from stock but something happens at 50+ mph they just come to life and make motorway driving much safer.

8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Are the yellowstuff pads carbon Lorraine pads? If so, that would explain why they work at higher speed as the pads get hotter quicker and carbon works better hot.
    I had this on the bikes, I wasn't a fan of carbon Lorraine pads as the initial bite was not there and was a progressive build up as the pads got hotter.

9. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I agree, the heat is the only difference
    The ebc web site says they are a blend of aramid fibres. Aramids are a class of heat resistant fibers.

10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I think that would explain it then, sintered tend to have a better bite initially and ware off as they get hot, fibre works better hotter so slower speed would have less bite to start with.

11. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Put my name down for upgraded clutch from TDI North, will let you know how I get on if I get it fitted. If I do get it then will upgrade my remap to a stage 2.

Bones126 likes this.
  12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Do you mind keeping you findings to yourself, as it could end up costing me a fourtune lol.
    Be interesting to see how you get on with this joking aside, clutch is the issue putting me off messing with maps at the moment.

kes likes this.
  13. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Could say the same to you bones with all your trick mods :Smile: . A bit worried about the clutch becoming heavier but many people say it lightens after 1k miles. They are quoting £799 fitted with flywheel for a Civic and can't gaurantee the same price until they see the FR-V as they have never done one before. They seem to be well respected.

Bones126 likes this.
  14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    TDi also do that CC clutch with a remap deal, includes dyno run. That's the one I'm currently considering.

Bones126 likes this.
  15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    LOL Given @kes , be interesting to see what you make of it as the price dosen't see too bad considering.

Sounds like the way forward @Zebster if the clutch needs replacing and you want a bit more kick, which it appears most of us do :Niceone:

16. AKA Marco Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

apologise for my total ignorance on the subject, but i have 2 questions;
    if i were to do the remap, is the clutch mod a 'must do'? i have 40k seems early...
    can you recommend the remap also on my petrol 1.8 VTEC?
    cheers
    marco

17. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Marco,
    I wouldn't bother on the the 1.8 petrol, remaps work much better on turbo cars. The clutch is related to the 2.2 diesel only.

18. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got an update from TDi North in regards to the clutch today. Shipment has been delayed. Hopefully won't be too long of a wait as my clutch now slipping badly especially when full laden. Hopefully when clutch arrives I will upgrade to a stage 2 remap.

Bones126 likes this.
  19. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got a phone call from TDI North today, car is booked for 25th August. I will update once I get the car back. Looking forward to it and upgrading the remap.

SpeedyGee, Bones126 and Zebster like this.
  20. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice, full report please :Niceone: