Body, Paint & Styling FR-V Boot latch not catching

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by DieselPower, Sunday 9th Jun, 2013.

1. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hoping someone can help.

When I open my 2006 FR-V boot i push up on the boot handle and it opens. When closing, I push the boot down but it doesn't catch and just flops back up a bit! It only closes if I push the boot handle down and then it latches.

Anyone else had this issue?
    Last edited: Monday 10th Jun, 2013
  2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like some lubrication is needed somewhere if the handle is sticking which is stopping the latch from locking.
  3. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll give that a try.

Is the handle supposed to be spring loaded? In that you pull on it to open the boot but it automatically springs back ready to lock?
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi according to the manual this can happen , as suggested a little mutipurpose grease will cure it.

If the tailgate latch doesn't unlock by using the keyless entry transmitter or unlocking the driver's door lock, remove the maintenance lid (A) from the tailgate lower trim panel, then unlock the tailgate latch by turning the pivot (B) of the lever clockwise as shown with a flat-tip screwdriver.
    Put on gloves to protect your hands.

FRV Boot.JPG
  5. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Ichiban, I'll lube up the bit in the picture.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep us posted take some real life pictures to update this thread. it will come handy to others. :Thumbup:
  7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fixed it!

The issue is with the handle. I removed the panel as suggested and gave it a good change.

2013-06-10 18.28.05. 2013-06-10 18.29.11.

I then sprayed the hell out of the handle and pushed it up and down. After doing this the spring action of the handle returned.
    2013-06-10 18.30.44.

The handle should push up to release the boot but should then automatically return to the start position when you let go.

The spring action was seized up, never returning to the original position. Healthy amount of lube and Job done!

Thanks for your help.
    Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent happy to help :GoodJob:
  9. craighere Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just had this problem with the wife's FR-V - info in this thread was invaluable (particularly the release from inside the tailgate). Fixed now and only cost me a few sprays of oil. Thanks for sharing!
    SpeedyGee, DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  10. JohnB New Member Getting Started

Scotland John Falkirk
    I've tried everything to open the boot on my FR-V using both the key and the emergency door opening still no joy , any other ideas?
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What have you tried so far ?

Have you tried pushing the boot inwards whilst trying to open it ?
  12. JohnB New Member Getting Started

Scotland John Falkirk
    the handle to open the boot was stuck as if a spring to bring it back down wasn't working so I tried both the key and the emergency door opening behind the panel,I then sprayed some lubricant on the boot handle and at the emergency door opening. I also disconnected the battery to see if resetting would help but still no joy.
  13. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

John the spring does not respond to lube alone. Its takes spray and wiggling the handle up and down vigorously.

When spraying wd40 you should be able to get underneath the handle and see the spring in question this should help target the area precisely. Be generous when applying the lube.

Once the handle comes back to life you must lubricate the spring with thick grease. The wd40 dries up and the handle stops working again fairly quickly.
  14. JohnB New Member Getting Started

Scotland John Falkirk
    Thanks once I got the handle loose with wd40 the door opened looks like it was dirt making the handle stick, thanks again.
  15. Boabmatic New Member Getting Started

Cheers.... This just happened to my wife's FR-V ..
    Quick read of the posts here and it's popped open again in 10mins
  16. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    I have worked out a procedure for sorting this in the short term:
    1) Close all doors.
    2) Engage central locking (so the car is locked).
    3) Push boot handle to the position it should be.
    4) Disengage central locking (so the car is open).
    5) Use boot handle to open boot.

Hopefully this will help someone else out while they are getting round to greasing the spring.