Body, Paint & Styling FR-V broken plastic tray on underside

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by jgregor, Tuesday 14th Aug, 2012.

1. jgregor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Something has broken on the front underside of my FR-V (2005, 2.0), and I'm trying to figure out what it is, what it's for and whether I need to get it replaced.
    It's a black plastic tray bolted on horizontally, a bit behind the front bumper. It's the width of the car, and goes back about 10 inches or so.

I think it's been knocked loose by hitting a stone on a bad road. So it has scraped along the road, cracked and a bit come off. I've managed to push it back up and drive with it for the moment, but clearly it's pretty much destroyed.

So my questions are:
    - What is this piece called? I've searched the net, which is not easy with the vague sort of description above, and without success.
    - What is it for? I'm guessing to prevent debris getting in under the radiator and/or engine and causing damage?
    - Should I get it replaced? Is it essential/advisory/unnecessary?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's sounds like the under engine tray. It prevents dirt and water getting up to the engine.
    I would replace it, doubt it will be cheap new, could try a breakers.
    Try ringing our affiliated Honda dealer Holdcroft, there is a banner at the top of the page.

jgregor and Ichiban like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome along to AOC buddy, sorry to hear about the damage to the car

have a look at these two pictures and see which part you think it may be. Tell the item number in either of the pictures, I will give you the part number and indicative prices.

Picture 1
    2005 FR-V.JPG

Picture 2

2005 FR-V 2.JPG

I have a sneaky feeling its Picture 2 item 7 or 21 there is a small variation.

jgregor likes this.
  4. jgregor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, that sounds like it. Thanks for the tip.

5. jgregor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the pictures. I think your guess is right. I'll have another look at it this evening to confirm and I'll reply back.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No problem, glad we could help.

7. jgregor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a look last night (lying on the street looking under the front of my car - got some funny looks :Smile: ).
    Definitely item 7 on picture 2 I'd say. The small variations point to that, plus the star shape cut into it at both wheel-arch parts instead of just the one.

I'm wondering about the warranty on this. I bought the car less than a year ago as Approved Used form the dealership, and it's been back there for a service. Would this be covered under the warranty? Or are they going to say no - it's wear and tear or driver fault?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That won't be covered by warranty , see I you got missing button clips item 16 you could to get back on albeit damaged.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What did you end up doing in the end ?

10. jgregor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi - sorry for delay, I've been away.

I'm in the process of getting quotes to have it fixed. I'm looking at about £100 all-in, which isn't as bad as I feared. The dealership are not being terribly helpful, despite the charm offensive on their web site, and on the radio. There are other decent Honda places around though.

In the mean time I've removed the tray, since it was scooping debris up rather than deflecting it. It couldn't really be fixed back up, even temporarily, due to the damage.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Shame to hear the dealer your way hasn't been helpful. It year after year the Scottish dealers get a hammering over their Customer satisfaction index scores. Please do complain to Honda UK if you can get the time ..hopefully if you persist the change make take place.

100 pounds isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things.