Guides FR-V dash-board cubby hole removal?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Princepugh, Thursday 14th Mar, 2013.

1. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    FR-V dash-board cubby hole removal? [centre storage pocket]

Hiya

Anybody know how / got instructions for how to remove the little cubby hole in the centre of the dash on the FR-V please?

cubby_1.JPG

Want to route some cables through to it if possible but can't see how it comes out.

Grateful of advice.

Thanks

David

Last edited: Monday 18th Mar, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi David,

First thing tomorrow! :Wink: I will have it for you.

Princepugh likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Apologies I have not forgotten about this,the weekend and long working patterns don't help.

4. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

np - found some info on the web regarding the removal of the radio, which referred the cubby hole as the 'centre storage pocket' although it was not clear how it should be removed. From what I can see, it is somehow tied in with the hazard warning strip above, so it may be that the upper part of that dash section needs to be removed, which probably means the heating vents and radio...

All I'm really doing is looking to route my new iPod cable through the back of the dash into that storage pocket so it can be out of harms way but hooked up to the iPod easily when required. May have to look at an alternate option if the procedure is lenghty/ involves the risk of breaking brittle plastics.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Here you go really easy :Wink:

Without seat heater: Open the centre pocket (A), and detach the clips by pulling the pocket out, then remove it.

Tips
    Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts. Do not pry the panel surface with any tools to prevent damage.
    Mask the area with masking tape to ensure no marks are left

BE1 center middle removal AOC.JPG

scigo and Princepugh like this.
  6. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brill, ta!

I'm on Shanks Pony today but will get my glasses on later and see if I can locate those clips and remove without wrecking owt!

(_8(|)

David

Ichiban likes this.
  7. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey David, re i-pod connection, have you got a genuine Honda i-pod connector lead or an aftermarket one? I’m currently using a FiiO lead from the base of the i-pod into the aux socket. Sadly it means I can’t charge the i-pod or control it from the stereo. Can you advise what you have managed to achieve and with what. I’m interested on this bit of work you are trying to do.

Last edited: Wednesday 20th Mar, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  8. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike - it's not a Honda lead and it won't allow me to control the ipod from the stereo. It's basically an eBay special which plugs into the docking socket on the ipod then splits into USB for power and mini-jack for the AUX input for the stereo. This will give me a decent gain on the audio and keep the ipod charged which is all I need for the moment but I wanted to route the cables into the centre storage pocket so we could run the ipod from there. Any other way and you've got cables kicking around near feet and knees - daft design really.

Getting the pocket out of the dash is proving to be difficult - it is firmly resisting my efforts to remove it with improvised nylon plastic tools so I'm going to have to buy a trim removal tool set and try again.

Will post some info + pics when I've got it sorted.

AUX INPUT CAR AUDIO USB STEREO 3.5 CABLE FOR iPOD NANO | eBay

Regards

David

Last edited: Wednesday 20th Mar, 2013
  9. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the update David, keeping the i-pod charged is a bonus. I wonder if there is a lead which will allow it to be controlled and charged from the stereo. I had a Honda lead fitted in my Civic and it was good, but I thought it would be a major job to fit one of those in the FR-V IF there is such a lead to fit the FR-V radio. Can’t wait to see the pictures, good luck matey.

10. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got the day off work today but after an ealy start up at the hospital for our 12 week scan, dropping the kids off at school, then accidentally dropping my motorbike after having had a new rear tyre fitted there wasn't much time left for this particular job.

I did, however, manage to get the centre pocket out - little blighter! The diagram kindly posted by Ichiban is perfecly correct but gives the lie as to how tricky the job is! In the end I manage to release the clips using a nylon bicycle tyre lever, however, I'd definitley recommend using some form of trim removal tool, such as:-

Power-Tec - 5 Piece Vehicle Trim Remover - Machine Mart

It's the time old problem with these things of having something slender and strong enough to pry the thing out without leaving marks on the surrounding plastics.

Anyway, I've removed the box as below - the markings on the lip are not noteiceable when the pocket is back in place.

2013-03-21134135.

As you'd expect in a modern car, space is at a premium in and around the dash so routing the cables is tricky, especially as the gear lever mechanism and handbrake are all in the vicinity. As I thought though, there's a nice gap to follow from just next to the handbrake bump stop right up to the centre pocket recess. The cabling from the bottom is tricky as the handbrake slider and bump-stop are right where you don't need them to be; but there are sufficient gaps in the trim below to route the cabling under the bump stop and over to a nice void behind the steering wheel adjuster trim.

I'll be securing the cables tomorrow with cable ties and sticky pads to ensure nothing gets fouled, especially around that bump-stop!

As for the centre pocket - that just needs a slot drilling for the cable - will post more pics when done.

2013-03-21135627.

Last edited: Thursday 21st Mar, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I see you didn't mask the area before removing :Aghast: or if that prior damage.

12. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks David. Can you tell me, while the cubby hole is out, can you get to the rear connectors on the radio? I appreciate it will be by touch only, or sight with the help of a dentists angled mirror, but is that area accessible? I’m just wondering if there is an easy way to attach an i-pod control lead if there is one on the market without having to rip the whole dash out.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Use an FM transmitter thing Mike.

14. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@ Ichiban - yes, shocking I know but the gap is that tight that masking off the lip might have prevented access. Proper trim tools next time! :Smile:

@ Mike - I'm pretty sure you can't get access to the radio this way, it's very tightly packed behind there and the radio is actually above and behind. Infact there's something on 'HonestJohn' which suggests it's a dash out job for the radio. BTW I'm sure you can get proper wired adapters which probably masqeruade as a CD changer (I had one in the Volvo which gave me control via the radio buttons) - they'll be about £50 notes and upwards but fitting will be a pain and for reference, there's a quite a bit of sharp metal behind the dash.

@ SpeedyGee - I've tried about 4 FM transmitters over the years and never found one which can transmit with acceptable quality without introducing noise and/or distortion plus you do lose bottom and top end Hz so having the option of a wired connection is a simples choice for me.

Bad snow here today so I'm on shanks pony again but will try to complete and post more pics at the w/e.

David

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not tried an FM xmitter for many years now. I thought the more recent ones would have improved a lot. IIRC I thought I saw a post on AOC where someone was saying they used one with good results.

Princepugh likes this.
  16. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You may well be right but finding the one which works best for you could mean trial, error and $$. The basic dock/ min-jack cable was about £9 so it's a fairly cheap and effective solution once in place. Taking a bit of getting there though! :Smile:

David

17. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dash out, no thanks, I’m not going down that route! Unless someone say’s it’s easy peasy, but I very much doubt that. It would be nice to be able to use a proper hard wired control cable which is plugged into the rear of the radio and the multi connector on the i-pod, but it looks to be too much hassle.

18. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK so I got this sorted at the w/e but fell ill soon after, hence the delay in the post.

So, with the centre pocket out, you can drill a slot in the back for the iPod cable - it's quite tight at the back of the pocket so I determined this was the best place to drop the cable out from:-

2013-03-24195616.

The cable can be routed down a small void coming out of the lower dash. As this splits into USB for power and mini-jack for audio, I've simply plugged in, routed the cables in-between the handbrake lever and cup holder, then tucked neatly behind the lower trim. It's important to miss the handbrake bump-stop and cup holder mechanism down below; and to ensure you don't foul the gear shift mechanism at the upper end.

Anyways, job done and our lad hasn't managed to wreck it yet so that looks promising. I've left a bit of slack cable in the centre pocket as I'm thinking of getting an air-vent mount for the iPod.

2013-03-25131933_1.

2013-03-25132154.

2013-03-25132340.

In summary, it's a fairly straight-forward job if you can get the centre pocket out, for which I'd recommend purchasing some proper trim removal tools, although it is possible with nylon bicycle tyre levers!

Hope that helps someone in a similar situation.

Regards

David

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good effort Mate sorry no one had supported you ... Well done :GoodJob: