Suspension, Steering and Brakes FR-V diesel brake pedal

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by garf8v, Tuesday 17th Sep, 2013.

1. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there. First post so hope its OK.

I have a 2007 diesel FR-V. I have recently replaced all discs and pads, expecting the pedal travel to decrease but it still travels to a stop quite low down. It does bite and stop the car, but it is a bit disconcerting for the pedal to then slowly carry on sinking.. Perhaps its me, but other cars pedals go hard and there is resistance to further pushing.

Is this something common to FR-Vs or Honda in general? Any thoughts appreciated.

Brilliant vehicle though!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It shouldn't carry on sinking.

Master cylinder issue or possibly air in system.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Bud,

Since you have replaced all discs and pads firstly the pads won’t be bed in properly for the real bite to kick in. Secondly when was the last the entire systems was flushed and bleed with fresh brake fluid?

Brake fluid is the most neglected fluid on any car people just do not change it once in two years as recommended. Change the fluid using good DOT4 fluid and bleed all four wheels that will dramatically improve pedal feel and brake effectiveness.

4. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for info.

I have done about 500 miles since discs done, and the fluid was changed yesterday(using Mityvac system). Fluid was supposed to have been done in April 2013, but I don't think it was.

I have wondered about the master cylinder, but the car has only done 30k miles so I don't think it is worn.

I see that I can get new pistons and seals rather than replacing the whole cylinder, but I don't know how to definitely check that it is the master cylinder before going down that route.

I have wondered about test driving other FR-Vs to see what they are like.

Is the brake system the same across the whole range?

Thanks

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Would that cause pedal to go to the floor ?

Pedal going to floor is brake pressure loss in the system isn't it ?

Vacuum loss would result in having to press harder on pedal. Just thinking out loud, so correct me if Im wrong.

7. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there

I don't think my car was affected by that recall. I feel sure that the dealer would have let me know.

Yes, it does feel like loss of pressure, as in if you get in and put your foot on the pedal and then start up, you can feel the servo exerting pressure and the peal then goes down(there seems to be a 'stop' point to prevent it hitting the floor).

I have taken it to my dealer and after some confusion the mechanic drove it and said they were all like that..although I had to ask him to use a torque wrench and not a ring spanner when doing up bolts on my car....

In contrast, in my wifes car the pedal is quite fierce and it stops quite near the top of its travel.

I did wonder if it may be a rubber hose expanding, but they all seem to be fine(apparently they usually go at MOT time when the tester stands on the pedal)

Would the VSA function have any effect? Should I feel pulsing when breaking hard?