Engine & Gearbox FR-V Diesel Starting problem

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Gilesy, Thursday 13th Jun, 2013.

1. Gilesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, my Honda FR-V (sorry i know it's not an Accord!) has trouble turning over, i've taken it to Honda garage and they plugged it in but no problem code came up. When trying to start the (after the glow plugs go out) it just keeps turning then finally it will crank into life, sometimes when the engine is hot it won't start at all then try again a few minutes later it does. The battery was replaced recently by the previous owner and the filter/oil have been done. HELP!!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Gilsey I am surprised a Honda dealer has not been able to fix this issue have they given you a reason why this happens.It could be the glow plug replay or a simple fuel filter issue? car with NO DTC code does make diagnosing the problem slightly difficult.

How many time have you been to the dealers and how much have you paid them to look at this issue? Was the issue ever fixed completely and if when did the staring problem resurface?

3. Gilesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, thanks for your reply. The filter has just been done by Honda, so far it has cost £180 without them finding the fault. They did reccomend i left it with them and they start replcing items until they find the fault, this will be too exspensive in my mind. The problem has never been fixed since it started. The car seems to start ok when cold but when the engine has warmed up after a run and then tunred off for a while then try and start again it doesnt turn over.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have seen this fault before when the car is warm, but can't think right now what was the cause was and its fix.. it may come to me:telloff:when the penny drops

Just wait for a few more members to appear like beefy or I-DSI they may know the answer as they see it.

5. Gilesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, a bit of light at the end of the tunnel (been a very dark tunnel!!)

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    it won't turn over? is this a voltage/battery fault or is it fuel? just need this clearing up as if it is the length or time it takes to crank before it fires i would suggest it may be high preasure fuel pump or injectors. I've seen this with diesels that have been run on petrol. unfortunatly people don't replace anything and the dammage has already been done, they sell the car on and the new owner is left with an expensive bill to repair. (this is all assuming it is a fuel delivery problem) but it does get worse when the engine is warm so fits with your problem. if it is battery drain then you need to get that checked out, rule out the battery as it is new. if you are sitting there cranking your car over for a while it will eventualy run the battery down.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Beefy I think gilesy had replaced the battery with new one and the problems still persists .. The petrol being the trigger is plausible thou.

8. Gilesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Beefy, yes i have already replaced the battery. I do know the previous owner so will ask about petrol. Thanks

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its difficult to distinguish the trouble turning over bit. is the car turning over normaly but not firing or is it struggling to turn over.

10. Gilesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its seems to be turning over normally, its the firing bit

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    ahhhhh. ok then, you now need a HDS and find out the cranking preasure of the fuel rail. the exact preasure escapes me at the min as I've been working on hondas allllllllllllllllll day and my brain hurts. but i suspect the preasure will be too low. good luck with the previous owner though, i wouldn't have thought they would own up to a miss fuel even if they did. is it high mileage by the way?

12. Gilesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes its 116k

13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Gilesy,
    I follow Beefy in his analysis. Fuel pressure seems to be the point to look at.

14. Gilesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot guys, ill let you know

15. brianvin New Member Getting Started

Im in the same boat at the mo. My 2006 FR-V started giving problems starting, 4 injectors changed, ouch, still no go, new battery as voltage kept dropping, ouch stillno go, rail pressure was diagnosed was at 130 and should be 270 and new part on fuel pump to sort that out, effing ouch, still no go, bosch man took off fuel lines and connected to a gallon jar thingy with flow and return and she started 1st time every time 10 in a row, that's more like it , till he put it back on my tank, no go, so new filter was fitted and that should've been it, naw, not only no go but limp mode........ahhhhh ffs.... got to bloke and took off all air filter plugs checked fuel connections and limp mode gone but still r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.cough splutter start.... have to go back to injector man but I was wondering would the derv tank have its own filter inside it or has anyone ever had to blowback the fuel lines, my dads thinking sludgey stuff blocking the fuel line causing the slow starting, me , im thinking a box of matches when im in there...any input on this is greatly received as im about to lose the bap. Many thanks.

Last edited: Tuesday 23rd Jul, 2013
  16. brianvin New Member Getting Started

Well its took a few days but my problem got sorted, new rail as a failure in the safty valve inside the old one meantvthat the fuel just recirculated to the tank

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to gear Brian, that was definitely a tricky one to track down. How did your mechanic come to this conclusion ?

18. brianvin New Member Getting Started

well, he had scratched his head a time or too and too eliminate the tank and pump problems he had plumbed in a jar with clear lines to watch the flow, but the return flow was too much and that's what caught his eye....

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Cool. You've got a good mechanic there hang on to him :Smile: