Engine & Gearbox FR-V Engine Cuts Out After 3 Minutes in the Morning

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Paul Young, Friday 4th Jul, 2014.

1. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Hi!
    For the past three mornings, my FR-V's engine cut off as I approached a roadwork traffic lights. It usually happened as I slowed down and an engine warning light came on. However as soon as I reignited the engine (after a bit), everything appeared just fine. The light went. I noticed the power dropped a bit before approaching the traffic lights. I have had no other problem with the engine - running, fuel consumption, etc. I had identical problem in the past, maybe twice, usually on the morning after a long journey the previous day (Leeds to Birmingham and Lincoln).
    What may be the cause?
    (Mileage: 95k, 2.0L, 2005 model).
    Paul ;(

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've moved your thread to the FR-V section @Paul Young, as this is the correct location.

I don't have an answer to your issue, but there are many members that know considerably more than me !

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    can't say without looking at the car , looks like a fuel stravation issue. any info on servicing and condtion of the fuel filter?

4. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    The car is due for an annual service in a few weeks time. I would check the condition of the fuel filter as you suggested.

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Another thing that may be worth checking is the inlet gasket, I had a similar fault on my old Mazda and a new gasket cured it, checking was easy just spray some brake cleaner around the gasket area and if the engine revs increase then its leaking past, unfortunately you must also know that I'm a heavy diesel technician, so my petrol engine knowledge isn't as good as others on here, just talking from experience.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

What you suggest makes sense and is relatively quick and easy to do. Nice one @Phil1978

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Well, I had someone to diagnose the car's ECU because an engine warning came on just before the car stalled. He found a number of codes reccorded but couldn't find anything wrong with the engine or anything else. He reckoned the ECU was confused when I had the battery replaced about 4 months ago. So he cleared out all codes to start afresh. I had to call the man again and we went for a test run with his diagnositic device connected, giving out live data. I was told the engine was perfect, no problem. The stalling has not happened every day but this morning when waiting at a roadwork traffic light, the car's running had an ever slight judder before subsided to a normal purring sound. As soon as the light changed, the car stalled. After a couple of restarts, it went smoothly, not a problem. Someone mentioned if all electrical problems have been ruled out, it must be a mechanical issue.
    Any idea?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's so much that it could be.

Can you quickly list what had been checked and eliminated.

You are either losing fuel or losing ignition (electrics)

It would be worth checking main engine relay, fuel pump, fuel filter. Immediately after it stalls it would be useful to determine if there is any fuel pressure on the fuel rail.

Check connection to map sensor, cam sensors and crank sensor.

10. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Thanks for the tips.

I would struggle to know where those parts are. I know there is no Hayes handbook available for FR-V. Would a workshop manual DVD be helpful?

11. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why not try running the first bit with the petrol filler cap filler loose so that the tank is vented?
    Had a similar problem many years ago with a Vectra.
    It was a bit more complicated than just needing the tank vented, the filler systems have these roll-over devices that cut off petrol, when these malfunction.........
    In the end with the Vectra after a few garage visits the Vauxhall rep gave me his SRI, he drove my car for a few days, they then changed the filler assembly completely and problem solved.
    Good luck

12. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    I'd check a couple of basics on the 'air' side of things too:-

1) Make sure your air filter element is good or replaced
    2) Make sure the butterfly in the throttle-body isn't gunked

Either/ both of these can lead to the symptoms you describe, without having a massively notieceable affect on normal driving. My last car had a very very very similar problem which was resolved after I cleaned my (oiled) panel filter and de-gunked the butterfly valve, the latter of which I suspect was the main culrpit.

Hope that helps - I can't provide you with any diagrams or instructions for the throttle body but others may be able to help.

PP

13. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Hello

Air filter replaced at recent service, as well as having new NGK spark plugs.
    Halford tried everything to find the problem source.
    Lent my car overnight (twice) so they could plug their diagnostic box at the moment of stalling to read codes. Did not stall on either mornings!
    Went to Lincoln the other week, it did not stall!
    Went to outside London over the weekend and it did not stall!
    Stalled after 2 minutes this morning near my home in Leeds! Is it the Leeds' air??
    What happened this morning was:
    Slowed down and turned left to side road.
    Several yards forward to a junction. Stopped without stalling. Turned right.
    Another several yards forward, slowed down and stopped at another junction, car stalled.
    Same point every morning for the two weeks.
    Does anyone recognise the symptons?
    What is my other options? I will go back to Halford after the helpful technician returned from his holiday.
    I will try the panel filter and butterfly valve, whatever they are.

Paul

14. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    By the panel filter, I mean the standard air-filter within the airbox, which sits to the right hand side of the engine, taking air from the front of the car. Obviously if the filter is old and blocked, the engine will struggle to perform and may idle badly.

IMG-20140819-00280.

The air from the filter comes out the top of the airbox box and goes to the throttle module sitting behind the engine. Within this device, there is a butterfly valve which controls the flow of air into the engine, in relation to the throttle pedal request. Over time, sticky deposits can build up on and around the butterfly which can cause problems at part openings, such as when the engine is idling. The computer management can usually resolve this problem, where you might feel a stutter follow by the revs increasing a bit but occasionally, the computer can’t sort the fuel air-mixture out quick enough and the engine will stall.

IMG-20140819-00283.

Obviously I can’t be sure that this is actually your problem, which sounds very specific, but as the other posters had advised re fuelling, I thought you should also check that the engine was good for air.

I’ve not had the pipe-work or throttle body out on this car so don’t know how big or small a job it is but as you can see from the pics, access is reasonable and I’m sure this is something your mechanic could easily and quickly check/clean and is known to be a problem on other makes of car.

15. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I also cleaned the throttle body on the old Mazda when it was stalling.

There is a section on it in this thread, it's not specific to this model but might give you an idea.

Princepugh and Nels like this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Whilst you're at it, check all the vacuum pipes for splits or damage.

17. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I had a similar problem on a Volvo I had, turned out to be a faulty coil in the end which was breaking down but not consistently.
    I have also has problems before where the air vent in the fuel filler cap was blocked causing a vacuum in the tank thus starving the engine of fuel, as per Eck suggests. But I had the opposite yesterday where the fuel filler wasn't on tight enough cause the MIL to come on :-/

Hope you get it sorted, worth seeing if the coils are ok though.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  19. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    I had the temperature sensor replaced, a upgrade one. Still stalling at a stop after two minutes. The local garage is still puzzling but they are to make further enquiries and will let me know.

The garage first said it was a common problem but the sensor did not solve the problem.

:Frown:

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can you get the garage do a full car DTC scan using a Honda scanner ? list the DTC here we can then screen the symptoms otherwise you will be replacing sensors for sod all.