Service & Maintenance FR-V Faults or Foibles?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by FR-V, Wednesday 23rd Jan, 2013.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Hi guys, after such a warm welcome on here and the request for pointers on the FR-V for prospective buyers, I thought I would share what I have found on other forums - so here goes!

1) Soft paint - it would seem from comments on here that ALL Honda paint is soft. Mine is vivid blue and has graffiti scrawled on the hatch and several small scratches around the door handles.

2) 2.2 I-CTDI engine not reliable (thanks for that one Ichiban!) - can't comment on mine as low mileage and only had it three months - but consensus seems to be don't chip/tune it and keep it well serviced with the right oils and you will have no problems.

3) DMF and clutch fail - see above re tuning. I was concerned to read this as I bought the car as a tug for a largish caravan and the cost of Mondeo clutches had put me off buying the Ford. Time will tell

!4) Clutch pedal creaks - mine does this occasionally, usually in town. I have read that changing the fluid will help - but also that the only fix is a new master cylinder. I shall change the fluid first. I am going deaf but the vibration through the pedal is annoying!

5) Front tyres last only 12k miles - my last two runabouts were bought new, a 1998 Suzuki Swift 1 I had 7 years/ 87k miles, did 44k on the first set and the second were still on, and a 2005 Toyota Yaris 1 that did 44k in 7 years on the original set - so this will be a shock! My FR-V has now done 27k and is well down its second set of fronts so they have gone on the back and the original rears are being worn out up front as they would have been due for a change soon due to age.

6) Steering drifts/pulls left to follow camber - yep, mine does this slightly but it is not a problem as you soon get used to it. The tyre swap did make it worse for a while but it has settled down now. Tyre choice appears to be critical on this.

7) Excessive road/tyre noise - I have been in quieter cars and am hoping that new tyres on the front (remember the ones on are 7 years old) will lessen the noise, but passengers report it is not obtrusive.

8) Poor fuel consumption - estimates range from low 30s to high 40s. You will never match new generation Mondeo/Insignia figures but remember - this is a big 'ol car! If you hammer down the motorways at 80+ you will pay for it next time you fill up, aerodynamic she aint! Cruise along at a more relaxed pace and you will see low 40s, and if you go into eco mode you could even crack the 50s.

9) Alarm sounds randomly on frosty nights - yep, got that one too. The cure seems to be to isolate the interior sensors by locking the doors using the lock tab inside the driver's door with the outside handle out, and then shutting the door. Car locked, alarm armed without interior sensors = silent night. I sleep round the back of the house so maybe it still goes off - I shall have to ask the neighbours :Aghast:)I am going for lie down now, so its up to the rest of the FR-V owners to carry on/comment/discuss.P.S. There was also a complaint from one guy who torn the front tyre off while cornering, and he was only doing the same speed he always did in his MX5 !!! - beware, they walk among us!

- - - Updated - - -

I put the above post in paragraphs but it came out in one long tirade! What am I doing wrong?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did you copy this from word into the a new thread? if you did next time click the W icon and paste it into the box and the rest will be taken care off.

Word format.JPG

If you didnt then really don't know what happened ,but I have fixed it for you. Thanks for your thread.:Hooray:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi guys, after such a warm welcome on here and the request for pointers on the FR-V for prospective buyers, I thought I would share what I have found on other forums - so here goes!

1) Soft paint - it would seem from comments on here that ALL Honda paint is soft. Mine is vivid blue and has graffiti scrawled on the hatch and several small scratches around the door handles.

Yes water-borne paints have its inherent flaws but nearly all Honda cars have this trait ,you can't ereditate but you can manage it.As for managing it don't travel too close to the vehicle in front,the faster you go the faster these chips appear. Respray is the only option and then manage it and keep layers of wax on the high impact areas.

2) 2.2 I-CTDI engine not reliable (thanks for that one Ichiban!) - can't comment on mine as low mileage and only had it three months - but consensus seems to be don't chip/tune it and keep it well serviced with the right oils and you will have no problems.

Honda diesel can go faster no doubt about but they are not speed machines its your daily drive leave it stock ,buy a faster car for the weekend or even better get a bike that will sort you speed bug.
    :Wink:

3) DMF and clutch fail - see above re tuning. I was concerned to read this as I bought the car as a tug for a largish caravan and the cost of Mondeo clutches had put me off buying the Ford. Time will tell!

DMF faults to have a lot to do with excessive heat or abuse, manufacturing batch fault are there but few.

4) Clutch pedal creaks - mine does this occasionally, usually in town. I have read that changing the fluid will help - but also that the only fix is a new master cylinder. I shall change the fluid first. I am going deaf but the vibration through the pedal is annoying!

You should ideally change the clutch master cylinder fluid (brake fluid ) every year irrespective of the mileage.. you can sort the creak with some grease ..search for it on the forum if you get lost i will point it out it a simple and easy fix.

5) Front tyres last only 12k miles - my last two runabouts were bought new, a 1998 Suzuki Swift 1 I had 7 years/ 87k miles, did 44k on the first set and the second were still on, and a 2005 Toyota Yaris 1 that did 44k in 7 years on the original set - so this will be a shock! My FR-V has now done 27k and is well down its second set of fronts so they have gone on the back and the original rears are being worn out up front as they would have been due for a change soon due to age.

It depends on a lot of factors bud.

Nature of tyres
    Nature of compound.
    over inflated under inflated
    suspension geometry
    suspension health
    driving patterns
    tyre rotation patterns.

12k if too low you need to get a through investigation and a hunter four wheel alignment to check camber and toe.

One advise to all FR-V owners don't drop the car nor get the Honda access lowering kit .. more info in a separate thread.

6) Steering drifts/pulls left to follow camber - yep, mine does this slightly but it is not a problem as you soon get used to it. The tyre swap did make it worse for a while but it has settled down now. Tyre choice appears to be critical on this.

Since your tyres are wearing out so fast this can be attributed to uneven tyre and poor wheel alignment dude. points 5 and 6 are related and go hand in hand. Welcome to Align My Car to find you closest hunter machine. I have to insist you use this as it will transform your cars handling

7) Excessive road/tyre noise - I have been in quieter cars and am hoping that new tyres on the front (remember the ones on are 7 years old) will lessen the noise, but passengers report it is not obtrusive.

Cheap way to lower noise get rubber mats off the carpet mats .. but chose tyres with good Decibel db noise rating. You buy a tyre today in the UK you will be presented with the three key tyre aspects so look for the best noise rating you will lose fuel efficiency and wet grip the quiter tyre you go for.

8) Poor fuel consumption - estimates range from low 30s to high 40s. You will never match new generation Mondeo/Insignia figures but remember - this is a big 'ol car! If you hammer down the motorways at 80+ you will pay for it next time you fill up, aerodynamic she aint! Cruise along at a more relaxed pace and you will see low 40s, and if you go into eco mode you could even crack the 50s.

5-6 can be hammering that buddy.The FR-V are as economical as the Accord and FR-V design may look boxy but it cuts the air as efficiently as a Civic.

9) Alarm sounds randomly on frosty nights - yep, got that one too. The cure seems to be to isolate the interior sensors by locking the doors using the lock tab inside the driver's door with the outside handle out, and then shutting the door. Car locked, alarm armed without interior sensors = silent night. I sleep round the back of the house so maybe it still goes off - I shall have to ask the neighbours :Aghast:)I am going for lie down now, so its up to the rest of the FR-V owners to carry on/comment/discuss.P.S. There was also a complaint from one guy who torn the front tyre off while cornering, and he was only doing the same speed he always did in his MX5 !!! - beware, they walk among us!

The alarm issue is a FR-V common fault, The FR-V electrical layout is not based on multiplex system as seen the Accord and modern Honda's. The FR-V wiring is simple and no fancy gimmicks but not so easy for technician to troubleshoot This fault is pure down to the temperature sensor being fault and it trigger the alarm . so get it checked at the dealer .

Over the weeks I will start the FR-V database of TSB and get the wiki into shape for our FR-V owners.

In the meantime ask anything or start new threads for them and we will collective get them answered.:Hey:

4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Brilliant info - thanks Ichiban. I can't comment on the previous elderly owner's driving habits but I doubt he ragged it round roundabouts often! I think he used it mainly as a smoking cabin for 5 years as I am still trying to freshen the interior aroma. I will keep an eye on the tyre wear and choose the replacements carefully - advice from fellow FR-V owners would be greatly appreciated - and get the clutch fluid replaced ASAP.The paint problem is not restricted to Hondas, I took my nice shiney new Mazda MX5 round France in 2001 and never got rid of the bug splats on the front!I have just followed the clutch pedal thread and found some Molykote 111 silicoln grease in my garage - will this be ok for the pedal?Still can't post with paragraphs!!

Last edited: Thursday 24th Jan, 2013
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Hi bud aploguies for the late response .. just busy getting all the vital info out for your FR-V owners.

I agree with you if the previous owner was an elderly owner the chance of handbrake turns and tearing up the tarmac are limited. unless he was Sterling Moss :Rolf:

It most likely four wheel alignment and steering vibration ( i will post a thread about that shortly) it is a known issue.
    As for odur removal and fag smell I would recommend you look at Valet Pro enzyme odour eater

It lemon scented and is excellent in gradual removal of these smells,give it a try it will make a massive improvement. As for Molykote 111 silicoln grease had a look and it should be good but it not the recommended grease and what are the long term effects will be unknown.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks Ichiban, I won't risk the grease so can you tell me the recommended one please. The car is going in to my trusted local garage for a full fluids/filters change and service next week so I can start with a clean sheet. I have read all the FR-V threads and hope the wheel shimmy and VSA problems don't affect me as the car was regd in June 2006 so is out of the extended warranty period.I shall also check with my local Honda dealer (Westgate, Grimsby) for any outstanding recalls as the internet checker is down. I bought the car as a long term keeper because of Honda's reputation for reliability and problem free motoring - now I'm not so sure!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi FR-V,

Let me reassure you FR-V is a really reliable machine, the only unreliable thing is the owner not carrying out routine service and maintenance,if the car like pets could talk we would know the grief we give them :Sobbing: . All these TSB are there for a reason to fix known issues. Honda is more committed than any other manufacturer to resolve issues rather than hide from them, you will not find that with the Germans.

Would you like a situation where the manufacture remains mum about issues?

Its doing the right thing by identifying them and resolving them , as we are passionate owners sharing that info with members so they can addressed these issue on our beloved cars. I would like to know of such issues and be reassured there is a fix to a problem rather than suffer in silence. These TSB and product updates should reassure people rather than think its an admission of guilt.

As for CMC noise use Molykote G-Rapid Plus aerosol ,All honda dealer carry this and it easier for them to do it rather than you buying the whole can.

lastly don't see all these TSB and recalls as doom and gloom and when you do need to use them it comes handy that Honda will do the honourable thing to help you, its happened in the past and it will contuine to happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    i-DSI likes this.
  8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Cheers bud, that reassures me. The only trouble with these forums is that they are like health encyclopedias - once you start reading them you convince yourself you have every disease in there! You are spot on with the importance of regular maintainance, look after your ride and it will look after you. Unfortunately with a used car you have to rely on the previous owners, and in my case he thought that as he only did 3k a year it didn't merit expensive Honda services after the warrantee expired. Hence the full service next week!

Beefy and Ichiban like this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well you don't need to convince yourself there is mass scale problem and if you encounter any issues you have the collective help on here at your disposable which will guide you on the right track.

You won't be tempted to get remaps or get members trying to sell you their services. Keep us posted how you go with the service and do use genuine Honda spare parts as endorsed by my avatar :Hey: (I have shares in HMC :Wink:)

Beefy likes this.
  10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Just a quick update - I went into the local Honda dealer to ask about the grease for the clutch pedal/master cyl and was told that this would make no difference and the only cure was a new mastercylinder. The grease was only tried on C-RVs and didnt work!
    While I was there I also asked if there were any recalls outstanding for my F-RV. No recalls but a parts update had not been done - a FOC replacement of the EGR valve. That will be the one that I have just forked out to have cleaned, DOH!
    I also enquired about the fix for the alarm fault - they had never heard of the fault or its fix, and said there were no extended warrantees on this vehicle. When I mentioned the tailgate paint (not that I have a problem) I was told if the paintwork inspection had not been signed off by a dealer every year nothing would be done anyway.
    The car was booked in for the EGR valve next week, and later cancelled because they could not get the part.:Blink:
    Overall - not impressed (apart from the promise of the new EGR valve :Smile:)

PS paragraphs back - clicked the A/A icon, switch editor to source mode:Thumbup:

Last edited: Thursday 31st Jan, 2013
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    FR-V who did you speak to at the dealership regarding the concerns you raised in your post ?.if it was anyone other than the service manager .. Then ignore them they have not clued up on the TSB history. Speak to the service manager .