Service & Maintenance FR-V Low-frequency noise above 40mph

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by PurpleTurtle, Monday 11th May, 2015.

1. PurpleTurtle Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve
    We've got a low frequency noise on our FR-V anything above 40mph - not particularly loud, but certainly audible and should not be there.

I initially thought it could be a wheel bearing, but there is no play in the bearings, and no grinding that I would expect when rotating the hub with the wheel off. There is some brake drag though, but I was attributing this to the handbrake shoes on the inner of the hub. Should the rear hub spin totally freely by hand, with no noise at all? I'm beginning to think it is one or both calipers could have partially siezed, the car has done 99k miles and is on new discs and pads on all 4 wheels approx 10k miles ago - done DIY via some very helpful links on here. Brakes are workin absolutely fine in terms of stopping ability, but MPG is lower than expected (always has been on this car) so I'm guessing we have some unwanted resistance. .

What I didn't do when replacing the discs and pads was anything to the calipers themselves, other than a clean with brake cleaner and of course push the pistons back to fit the new pads.

Presumably if one of both caliper pistons is sticking then a new caliper is required? Any other options? Is this reasonable miles to need it?
    I will get it into a garage to check, but at approx £120/wheel parts + labour I want to know it definitely needs doing before going down this route.

Thanks in advance.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could be tyres ? What condition are they in ?

Try swapping fronts with back ones.

If a caliper is sticking then that wheel feel warmer/hotter than the rest.

PurpleTurtle likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I had this, and when I put new tyre on the noise went. At my last MOT they pointed out the the inside of the rears were raising the tred, I though the noise was wheel bearing but they did not pick this up. But as I say, when I had new tyres fitted the noise went so I suspect this is happening with you. Unless you have new tyres on. HTH.

PurpleTurtle likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have you had four wheel laser alignment done Dave ? and did it help ?

The old tyres on my Edix were all badly worn in the inner edges as well.

5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    No @speedy, I just had the tracking checked when I had the new Tyres fitted. Something I'm thinking about doing though.

Sounds like a common problem appearing though, looks like we need a solution lol :Thumbup:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

We need to see what the four wheel alignment highlights and whether the suspension has the required adjustment to correct the camber.

Bones126 likes this.
  7. PurpleTurtle Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve
    Thanks for the replies folks.

I had checked for heated wheels and calipers, but cold to the touch even after a long run.

On Saturday I got the rears wheels off and had a good check, this revealed some very dubious tyre wear that I've never seen before; on the outer edges every other inch or so the tread was raised, if you imagine when viewed from side on the profile was like turrets of a castle (exagerrated), no wonder they were noisy!

My local tyre guy did me a good deal on a set of replacement rears and I also had front/rear alignment checked and a minor adjustment made to both (it is our second car, wife sometimes struggles with its width, let's just say I'm sure it's not unfamiliar with being kerbed!) He suggested the rear shocks could be shot (car has done 100k miles on OE shocks), and whilst I have no reason to disbelieve him always like to check these things. The classic 'bounce test' is inconclusive - they appear fine, but tyres would suggest otherwise.
    Anyone know expected life of FR-V rear shocks?

Thanks

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've not heard anything to suggest that they don't last as long one would expect them to.

9. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The tyre guy must have had some reasoning to why the shocks are shot, did he say?
    Usually a tell tale sign is if fluid is leaking, any sign if dampness?

10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I think this sounds like a common problem as mine was the same when it came close to them needing replacing, I would speculate the tyre guy is saying the shocks are shot because of the tyre wear and for no other reason unless and @kes says there is oil leaking from them.

Has the new tyre got rid of the noise @PurpleTurtle ?

11. PurpleTurtle Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve
    Sorry for delay replying, have been away.

Yes, new tyres and a 4 wheel alignment have got rid of the noise, however on a trip out yesterday I noticed that the ride quality is really poor, I do think the rear shocks are well past their best.

Local indy has quoted £375 all in to do it, using pattern shocks. I can get the shocks online for £175/pair, plus new rubber mountings @£75/pair, working on the basis that always best to replace mountings when doing shocks, so saving £125 labout if I do it myself.
    How difficult is it? I'm a pretty competent DIY mechanic, will be assisted by my neighbour who is handy with the spanners. Am assuming it is just top and bottom mounting bolts, and a pair of spring compressors required, which we have.

What I find really frustrating about owning this car is there is no workshop manual for it. I can turn my hands to most garage tasks with the benefit of a Haynes book or similar, but none exists for the FR-V, unless anyone knows otherwise. A link to rear shock replacement procedure would be very welcome, if anyone knows of one.

Bones126 and kes like this.
  12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
  13. PurpleTurtle Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve
    Cheers - I paid £9.99 for that a year ago but couldn't get the bloody thing to download and eventually gave up. Have put a call in to their Support people for help.

14. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Yeah, took me some figuring out but got it to work eventually. Seems a bit of a ball ache compared to others. Hope you get it sorted.