Suspension, Steering and Brakes FR-V pulling to the left

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Kas, Wednesday 26th Aug, 2015.

1. Kas New Member Getting Started

England Kas Peterborough
    Hi guys

Recently purchased a FR-V ex model, diesel, 08. Loving the car, the 6 seats, etc. my previous car was a golf, as I needed more seats!

Recently I have noticed an issue where the car is pulling a lot to the left. I understand there may be a slight pulling to the left, but this is a lot. If I let go of the steering it will be in the kerb in no time.

So have had a look at the tyres, and have noticed the front left is wearing badly on the inside: front right is absolutely fine. Tracking has been done previously and rechecked again and is ok.

So the question is what could be causing the pulling to the left and excessive tyre wear only on the front left?

I haven't kerbed it or can remember hitting a pot hole.

So any ideas guys?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Tracking is one thing, wheel alignment is another.

You want get your car on a Hunter 4 wheel alignment machine. Enter your post code here Align My Car to find a place near by you.

BTW It's customary for new members to Introduce Yourself, so pop over and say a few words about yourself and your car :Thumbup:

3. Kas New Member Getting Started

England Kas Peterborough
    Thanks for the reply, speedy. Would alignment really be an issue, considering only the front left tyre is wearing on the inside?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's odd that only one is wearing out, maybe something (like a track rod end) was replaced on that side and alignment wasn't done. Or maybe on the other side someone has swapped out the tyre ?

I'd say on these cars alignment is a must, the tyres that were on my FR-V when I got it, also had inside edge wear, have a look at this thread.
    I took mine along last week to the alignment place but it was really busy and you can't book a time slot, only await your turn so I left it for another time. Will definitely be getting it done soon though.

5. kwacker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom kwacker Liverpool
    I know this might sound daft,but have you checked the tyre pressure of the suspect wheel. I had the very same problem on a car I once owned.
    Thats what it turned out to be,some cars are more sensitive to it than others !!!

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Currently having the same one tyre being eaten issue after being unable to avoid a crater in the road. I did a quick check with string and measuring tape and the toe has been knocked out on the drivers side. Best I can tell the track end and ball joints are still good. I'm in need of new tyres anyway so I'll get the alignment sorted when the tyres are fitted.

Only issue my car specs are not listed in the machines here. I've found these specs with much digging online Toe/camber Front 0 ± 2 mm / 0 ° 10 '± 1 ° Rear 1 ~ 6 mm / -1 ° 00 '± 1 ° caster +3°25'± 01° 00. They have all said that they would be happy to do it if I can bring in the specs but I'm unsure if I am missing any further information to get it sorted. Do the above numbers look complete and reasonable?