Tyres & Wheels FR-V rear inner tyre bold/negative camber

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by euphoria1z, Friday 7th Oct, 2016.

1. euphoria1z Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom euphoria Leicester
    Hi

I bought my FR-V 1.8 petrol 58 model in Jan this year. Had a 4 wheel alignment (hunter) done in Feb. . Had my MOT fail today due to the rear tyres being completely bold on the inside only (literally the last few mm on the inner side). The rear right wheel had the wire showing, rear left was almost similar. The rest of the rear tyre was fine with plenty thread.

from my alignment report it shows the rear left camber as -1'45 (as in minus 1 deg45) and the right wheel as -1'53 (minus 1 deg53) and both showing red as in out of range. I've attached the print out, can some one check if its done correctly?[​IMG]

would this have caused the inner tyre to go bald? unfortunately when I got the car 8 months ago, I never checked the inner rear tyre condition so don't know if it was this bad or has something happened since.

Is the rear camber adjustable? if it is, why didn't the alignment guy bring it in range.

if its not adjustable, am I just going to have to live with this situation? Is this common?

Thanks

WP_20161007_003.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 8th Oct, 2016
  2. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Rear tyre wear is uneven on FR-V's, I had this.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry, should have said, camber is not adjustable but you can by adjustable camber arms.

3. euphoria1z Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

so there's nothing wrong with my alignment then? you could literally see the wire on the inner edge/shoulder of the rear tyre. I was shocked. why is this a common issue on FR-V?

surely for a family car, that's quite concerning. does my alignment figures look normal then?

4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Not sure,
    But for a car that takes 6 people would need solid suspension to keep camber even, I guess it's a compramise. Fully laden the wheels will be pointing in at the top making the inner edge has more weight on it.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You've pretty much got maximum allowed negative chamber with an unloaded car, so as you load the car up the chamber will be worse than shown in the print out.

You can get HardRace chamber adjustment kit from H-Tune, I've got a set waiting to be put on, on my wifes Edix.

https://h-tune.co.uk/hardrace-adjustable-rear-camber-arms/

6. euphoria1z Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies.

I usually drive with a family of 6 with nothing in the boot. once or twice a year ill go up north so take luggage then.

1- why is the camber out of spec though? if its not adjustable then how has it moved? could it be some other parts of the suspension that's bent perhaps?

2- what kind of things should I ask my garage to look at next time its on a ramp?

3- SpeedyGee> help me understand your recommendation. is it worth replacing with that hardrace adjustable camber kit? the car is used as a normal daily drive to work and back, will there be any other benefits other than the fact there adjustable so alignment will be brought into range and I will save on inner tyre wear?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wear and tear on components.

Camber is not adjustable

Possibly but both sides are coincidentally about the same chamber value, so more likely due to worn components

Ask them why they think the chamber is out, they should give you the same explanation as above

If you wish to correct the chamber then yes. This will count a modification though so you will need to declare it to your insurance.

No but in the long run it will save you money as you won't be chewing through tyres.