Body, Paint & Styling FR-V rear tailgate.

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by intentionally blank, Wednesday 22nd Jun, 2016.

1. intentionally blank Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland pete Glasgow
    Hi I'm trying to fix my wife's 07 FR-V's rear tailgate...

It has taken to not opening sometimes, and today wouldn't shut. I suspect that it is the handle that is sticking, peering under it looks quite rusty.

Does anyone know who to get access to it before I prise off the interior trim only to never get in on again? I've taken off 2 access panels, one of which is teh back of the catch but I can't see what else I do from there...

Thanks and apologies if it is a stupid question.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is the guide as per the WSM. Give it a try matey.
    NOTE: If the tailgate latch doesn't be unlocked by using the keyless entry transmitter or unlocking the driver's door lock, remove the maintenance lid (A) from the tailgate lower trim panel, then unlock the tailgate latch by turning the pivot (B) of the lever clockwise as shown with a flat-tip screwdriver.
    NOTE: Put on gloves to protect your hands.
    upload_2016-6-22_21-3-29.

3. intentionally blank Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland pete Glasgow
    Thanks Sir but I should have been clearer.

It was a badly worded post. It's the external handle I need to get access to, above the number plate. I want to strip all the inside panels off the the back of the tailgate so I can either replace or thoroughly lube the handle (which is rusty and sticking). I suspect the solenoid is sticking too, but if the handle is rusty it might just be having to work too hard.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries mate you will need to remove the rear license trim to get the internal lock to remove the cable then the two 8mm IIRC nuts which hold the outer latch.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Rear License Trim Removal.

Since you got the entire internals off look for these two nuts.

upload_2016-6-22_22-16-27.

From inside the tailgate, remove the nuts securing the rear license trim (A).
    • From inside the tailgate, release the clips while holding the rear license trim (A), then remove the trim. Take care not to scratch the tailgate.
    • Install the trim in the reverse order of removal, and replace any damaged clips.
    upload_2016-6-22_22-18-41.

Once that is off get inside where you have removed the internal panel , then remove the cable off the latch then remove the twp 8mm\10mm bolts then you can drag the lock from the outside strip and clean it.

5. intentionally blank Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland pete Glasgow
    Sorry for the slow reply - I've been away.

Do you have the guide showing how to take off the internal trim panels from the tailgate as I think that needs to be the first step.