Service & Maintenance FR-V service schedule help

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by ibrardad, Sunday 27th Dec, 2015.

1. ibrardad Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ibby Accrington
    Hi everyone, just joined as I have purchased a new FR-V 2.2 diesel last night,2007 model, I need some advice really, was wondering through the paperwork and service schedule last night and I couldn't find a cambelt or water pump service schedule? I did own a VW golf and Passat which needed these things replacing every 60/80 k miles so was a bit confused?

does this car have a low oil warning light? I'm sure someone told me once some Honda's don't and need checking every month or so?

also any tips or advice on what to watch out for and get the best economy from the car?

there seems like there are some really nice members on here looking forward to working on the car over the next few weeks, maybe a remap stage 1.

Ibby

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Ibrar, welcome to Honda Karma :Hey:

Congrats on the FR-V purchase.

The I-CDTI engines are actually chain driven so no cambelt and you don't need to worry about the water pump unless it develops a problem.

You should check oil levels regularly anyway. Also it is advisable that you change the engine oil regularly and at least exactly to the timing indicated by the service schedule. SOme I-CDTI owners actually change the oil twice as regularly indicated by service interval. Old oil in a diesel engine become contaminated with soot and this in time become acidic and starts to each away at the chain. Hence the need to keep on top of oil changes.

Please do add your car to the Club Garage as it helps us to help you. Would love to see it anyway.

http://hondakarma.com/faq/how-do-i-add-my-vehicle-to-the-club-garage.10/

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello Ibrar and welcome to HK.

4. ibrardad Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi thanks for the reply does the low oil light still pop up on the dash on these FR-V's I heard once on Hondas they don't? What grade oil is best in the UK 0w30 or 5w30?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There is no low oil level light only a low oil pressure light.

You can use either 0w30, 5w30 or 0w20. I'm currently running 0w20 in my FR-V. I'd say that in the UK climate, there won't be much difference/benefit from using a 0w oil over a 5w oil.

I've gone for the 0w20 for extra economy.

6. ibrardad Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I take it you use castrol?

7. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there
    Just to let you know that on mine(07 and 58 plate) the oil level low light glows orange(and flashes) it changes to red if the pressure is low. It is in the handbook, but may be different if yours is an early one.
    I had it come up just before I did an oil/filter change, and it cleared after the change. It came up again(orange flashing - low level) and the level was OK, although I did top it up. I had to get the garage to clear it the via the computer. My daughter was using it, so not sure exactly how long it was showing before I was told....
    I did query it on here, but only a short thread last year.
    I think these are brilliant vehicles, and quite quick as well! Enjoy.

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

These orange blinking lights, in my understanding are not 'low oil level' lights but actually low oil pressure lights. Cause can be low oil level meaning pump cannot push enough of it or the pump itself starting to have issue.
    In a friend's 07 Mini with 42,000 miles the orange light would blink when taking roundabouts a bit hard.. It is not something you should ignore as in the mini they had to put in 3.5 liters of oil (4.2 liter capacity).

9. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I hope I don't sound too anal, but... I too thought it was a pressure light, but p.74 of the handbook explains that they use orange for low oil level, and red for low pressure. There is actually a level sensor in the sump, which presumably has a float in it, and I assume a sensor near the oil pump. Neither are cheap!

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Fair enough :Smile: I mean if it is in the handbook than thats what it is. No reason to argue otherwise.
    Which just adds to the confusion as in my experience with other manufacturers the orange flashing light is for low oil pressure.

garf8v likes this.
  11. ibrardad Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for all the feedback guys your all hero's!