Tyres & Wheels FR-V steel wheels and winter tyres

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by scigo, Sunday 21st Jul, 2013.

1. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom scigo United Kingdom
    Strange question now in summer, but I really need to know.
    I bought for my old car these wheels Alcar KFZ 8077 » Steel Wheels » Oponeo.co.uk and these winter tyres:
    Continental Conti Winter Contact TS 850 - *195/65 R15 91T
    I have only done about 2k miles. Would you know
    If they would fit and be ok with my Honda. I tried to read one manual and the other and I think yes, but need to know for sure.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: steel wheels and winter tyres

Scigo I will be blunt but please don't take this to heart. In my opinion any 4x4 owners in the UK who needs winter tyres need to go to driving school or advance school.

On the CR-V the 4x4 kick in when it sense the slip rate is excessive. All you need to do is use get into third gear once you get momentum and stay in it if the snow is too deep.use the throttle as it there was a egg behind it.

1st and 2nd gear with the gear ratio being so low you will wheel spin that is why you think you need winters tyres, lessen your throttle input use engine braking you will soon find it NOTHING to do with tyres.

3. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

steel wheels and winter tyres

:Smile: fair enough and partially agree, but first FR-V is not 4x4 or is it? second I live on a quite a steep hill and last winter when everyone was on standstill I was happily going up and down (btw. going down and stop just before the main road is the tricky bit) Also I have 7 weeks old twins +small daughter so safety is really important for me. last but not least. I am originally from Slovakia and I have driven on snow a lot. the difference between S and W tyres is enormous. I might actually drive to Slovakia during winter where there is legal obligation to have winter tyres fitted (and Germany on the way as well)
    so those are the reasons for the tyres, I think it would be silly to sell them if they fit Honda FR-V.

4. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

steel wheels and winter tyres

just to add. the hill is so steep that the transmission can't quite decide if to stay in first or second gear or to change to third.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Right adding FR-V to the title.:Whistle:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Apologies assumed you have a CR-V :telloff:Its automatic then be in the lower gear in D1 D2 D3 rather than drive.

You might find coming back with a fully laden car it won't get up that steep hill it even if you have winter tyres. My tourer will not do it just due to the overall weight of the car . FR-V are slightly lighter and wider wheel base so may or may not struggle.

You can get steel rims from Honda FR-V they are expensive thou

Item 1 Honda part number 42700-SJD-J01 cost for each rim a cool £135.00 you can get second hand alloys for that price.

B__1800.

7. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info. I did put FR-V in the title. I am not using 1,2 and D3 yet. I need to try it, what it does. I only use D and then going up the hill the car goes into 2nd then shifts to 3rd and back to second. In regards to the wheels, it looks like honda uses 15X6JJ and I have got 15X5.5J wheels. How can I find out if they will fit or not? Non OEM wheels £53.00 each

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

9. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used the android app and ticked the FR-V -Petrol box. I need to check it if it works next time.

10. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Would you know the specification of 42700-SJD-J01?