Suspension, Steering and Brakes FR-V Steering Vibration

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by naf123, Friday 17th Jun, 2016.

1. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    I bought a used FR-V about 3 weeks ago from a dealer 125 miles away from me.

The steering wheel vibrates sometimes on the motorway at high speeds. I contacted the dealer he advised me to go to local honda dealer for diagnosis.

The local honda dealer road test it for 3 miles and couldn't find an issue.

I am very disappointed. What shall I do? I called the dealer I bought it from and he invited me to take the car back up north for a 2nd opinion but I am not going to do a 250 mile round trip for this!

Thanks for any advice

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can you make a video of the steering vibration and then send it to them.

3. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    Mine vibrates sometimes too.. My local garage assured me the tracking / alignment is fine and the car handles well so I just ignore it. Im not gonna throw x amount at what to me is a small problem.
    I mainly use the car round town... If I was always on the motorway it might irk me a bit more. Did you buy the car from Leigh in Wigan?

4. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    That's an excellent idea to video it and send it to them so I have it on file.

I will have to probably get the tyres balanced. Lucky I don't do motorway driving often ...

I got it from Brindley cannock

5. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Does it vibrate at a certain speed?

6. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    Sometimes 60mph sometimes 70 sometimes 80....but not always just sometimes on motorway

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Could be wheel balance, could be a tyre, could be lots of other things as well I guess (I'm no expert) - but as you bought it from a Honda dealer as an 'Approved Used' (I assume) your local dealer needs to sort it.

Why not go back to the dealer who said they couldn't find an issue, and take them out in it to demonstrate? At least then you'll know that they've seen it happen.

8. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Front 2 tyres needs balancing.
    It won't vibrate on slow speeds, only at high speeds, sometimes it will stop if you go above a certain speed.

Balancing don't cost much. Around Birmingham £20 max for both. Not sure about your area.

9. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    Not so easy - I'm quite a busy person....

I will do the video option...much easier . Will keep you all here updated but as things stand video is the only viable option for me .

10. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi i was having this issue vibrating around 60 then again a bit higher had tyres balanced, aligned etc etc nothing was getting rid of it. turned out to be drive shafts was hoping it was one of the less expensive fixes so try all those already mentioned but it may turn out more expensive like mine did.

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^
    Same here
    Turned out to be nearside driveshaft on mine which I replaced now.
    Very expensive indeed.

12. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Those that needed drive shafts how many miles were you at?
    @naf123 my local Halfords balance each wheel for £6.95 but they will do all 4 at once as like mine the front may not have resolved my shake.
    I have a feeling they may collect and drop the car off too.

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine done 62000 miles when I noticed it first.

14. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was low 70k miles when it started

15. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    The local dealer here kindly did not charge me for the diagnosis!

I will get the tyres balanced see what happens . Is there a specific test a mechanic can do check drive shaft ?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @naf123 change your avatar please follow my signature for new member starter please.

18. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

19. abs_n Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I took my 1.8 petrol FR-V on the motorway on the weekend just gone and the steering was shaking slightly between 60 to 70 mph.
    How much does the driveshaft cost to replace approximately?

Thanks

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have the wheel balance and alignment checked first, before you commit to having a driveshaft replaced.

Driveshaft can also be checked for play.