Aftermarket Kit FR-V Towbar and Parking Sensors

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Princepugh, Tuesday 5th Aug, 2014.

1. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    Sadly our FR-V doesn’t have the factory fitted roof rails, so I had been looking at the various Honda/ third party options to carry additional luggage and/or cycles. Although I really wanted to go with roof options I’ve been put off by the cost of any half-decent components and the risk of fitting everything up to the roof on my own.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I decided to plump for towbar mounted options so needed to get a towby fitted. Needless to say, the official Honda fitted kit is mega-bucks as far as I’m concerned and although Honda did offer a third party kit for fairly sensible £££, I’ve managed to get a Bosal kit fitted at a very reasonable price with a local fitter, freeing up funds for a cycle carrier and rear mount storage kit.

For reference, this is a fixed swan neck towbar and it does NOT interfere with the parking sensors, well at least without the standard ball-cap on! I had to rely on the experience of the fitter in this regard as nearly all other places would only fit a detachable unit due to the sensors, which bumped the price up a bit.

So for reference, anybody looking to fit a fixed swan neck towbar to an FR-V with sensors, it can be done!

moob and Nels like this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Pleased that you have found a solution. :Grin:
    Thanks for posting, as this will help others.
    Princepugh likes this.
  3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Good share mate
    Princepugh likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for sharing this info David, hope this helps others :Thumbup:
  5. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield

Avec des velos..
    DeviateDefiant and Nels like this.
  6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Excellent solution. I went for a flange type Witter towbar so I could use the Maxxrax bike carrier I already had, then again I don't have reversing sensors.
    It worries me that some people are using strap on carriers on the rear hatch of FR-Vs, even though Honda say specifically that you can't.
    I thought it was only BMW and Audi drivers that were exempt from all rules/laws!

Pete C.
    Princepugh likes this.