Off-Topic Free Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Thursday 26th Nov, 2015.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looks like my entire street is in some sort of hurry to install solar panels , my street is like scaffolding central!!

what the catch guys are we missing out on something?

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Years ago we were wiring 2 houses a day for solar then the rates changed and never fitted one since. But a new thing is someone fitted them for free and you get cheap electricity, has to be a catch :dodgydeal:

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They've discovered electric in Leeds at last?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah just had a sales guy knocking the door wondering I was interested in free solar panels.. told him to do one.

ahhh dim and grim Stoke how you going to get someone to turn on the Christmas lights in Stoke?

John Dickson likes this.
  5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    The government are changing the rates you get back from electricity again in the new year.
    If people get them fitted before the dead line they stay on the higher tariff.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wouldn't know. I don't live in Stoke lol

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    One man dump is another man Newcastle-under-Lyme same area just joined to hips,

9. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cynic that I'am
    I was under the impression
    1 solar panel installer gets money ongoing from electricity produced (FITs = feed in tariffs)
    2 the householder gets money from a reduced bill
    3 this money going to 1 & 2 comes from everybody else who has an electricity bill or is a tax payer perhaps ! ! !

I seem to recall a figure of 20% return for the installer because of the high FIT and the Government trying to undo the deal at some point because of the over generous return
    Transfer of money from the many to the few - good old capitalism

I stand to be corrected

10. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    @Ichiban I can recommend the following
    10665262_769394596455323_1934473928944262405_n.

chris2982 likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Viz advert. Best of Yorkshire steel from Sheffield :Hey:

chris2982 likes this.
  12. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    There are two ways to get solar panels, either buy them yourself outright, or get the "free" ones.
    I bought them approx 18 months ago, they cost me £5½K to have them fitted. My roof is not ideal, as my house faces east / west (a southern facing roof is best) so I have 4kw worth of panels on either side of the roof.
    With buying them myself, I get to use the electricity that they produce for free, plus I get the money back on the feed in tarriff (FIT) and in the last 18 months, I've had £887 back in feed FIT, plus I believe that I've saved approx £500 - £600 on my electricity bills. Depending on the weather then, I believe that I should get all my £5½k back in about 6 years. I only wish that I'd bought them earlier when the FIT was much more.
    If you go for the "free" solar panels, you do NOT get the FIT (The installer gets that) you only get the free electricity that you use when they are producing electricity. You also have to rent out your roof space for 25 years to the supplier. this obviously causes problems should you decide to move.
    I you decide to buy them, them get a number of quotes, also check on which make of panels they're going to use, and compare the output of the panels as they do vary, plus there are "seconds" out there.
    Other things to note; Panels only produce electricity when the SUN is shining on them, if it's cloudy they produce next to bugger-all, the higher up in the sky the sun in, the better they produce. weak winter sun is low in the sky, and although it produces some, it's nothing like the summer sun at mid-day.
    Anyone in the NW who decides to go ahead with them, I can point you towards a small but decent little firm that fitted mine. (no, I have nothing to do with them except they are the ones that I chose, and I'm happy with their work)

jimjams, vincemince and SpeedyGee like this.
  13. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's not quite true these days, you can get panels that work in any light conditions and don't need direct sunlight. My folks had some fitted back in May and have generated almost 3000 units so far at a rate of 14p per unit produced and an extra 4.4p for 50% of the units... there are fractions of pence involved. But it works out to around £500 so far this year (Late May to end of Nov and should be around the £900-1000 mark come the 12 month mark. They have a decent Southish facing roof and have the max of 16 panels fitted (4kw). There are also a huge range of differences in the quality of panels different companies choose... I checked out the ones my folks were getting and found they're from a Scandinavian company with one of the best panels on the market... Hence the £10,000 cost to install them. But they are guaranteed that FiT for £20yrs so the panels will pay for themselves in less than 10yrs... even sooner if they use the money from generating and any marketing sales they get... could be clear in 6yrs. After that it's 14yrs of an extra £800-1000 per year.

They also agreed to do some marketing, and if they can get 6 people to sign up they get their entire installation refunded. They're not bothered about it really and would never push it to encourage others to get them... they simply tell them of the benefits and savings they're making. The next door neighbour had them installed and my folks got a £250 payment for it... only another 5 to go. :Smile:

As for the savings... they were paying £103 per month on gas & electric. They kept it at the same level to begin with and have now been refunded £246 of credit they built up between May and August... So reduced it to £85 per month... and at the last bill just a week ago, were showing as being £206 in credit once more. So I reckon their monthly bills will drop once more to less than £50 for dual fuel.

Because they're pensioners, they can make use of it during the day... so the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer are only used during they day most of the time, and any baking they needs doing is also done at the same time... I've also made sure that they don't use multiple things at the same time because that equates to more than they're generating. They will be using more gas during the winter, but they get the winter fuel payment to help with that.

Now if they were to invest in one of those battery banks to store energy, they could reduce their bills even further.

If you want them.. get them now before the govt kills of the subsidies and FiT entirely.

Oh and a word of warning... if you are with EON, consider changing because they messed them around for months over registering them and tried to screw them out of £400... lied about receiving forms, tried to change the date of registration from May to August and tried to wipe out just over 2000 generated units.

If you've got the roof space and aren't overlooked, it's worth the investment... finance is available with most companies too... and the finance loans was unsecured.

If I had a suitable roof, I'd consider it myself... sadly I don't think my roof will support the weight without additional bracing... which adds a few grand to the cost and because it's kinda East South East facing... probably not worth doing.

jimjams likes this.