Off-Topic French Speed Cameras

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SayamaAccord, Tuesday 20th Mar, 2012.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Apparently the new law in France is that speed cameras have to be deleted from a satnav or you can be fined 1500 Euros and get 6 points.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The French can politely stick that law where the f-ing sun don't shine. :Smile:

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes it is now illegal to be warned about the position of speed cameras, if you disable the speed camera alerts for France you should be ok. Have a read on Garmin or TomTom's web site about the Danger Area alerts.

I also believe they have taken down the warning signs for speed cameras as well.

4. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Theres a lot of info about this on Pocketgpsworld.com

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sadly don't have that on my Honda satnav but i do have Tom Tom that have all cameras positions and will be using it regardless of their law.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Be careful the French plod don't take no prisoners. I guarantee they will be doing spot checks on all the English cars they can. I believe they can confiscate your sat nav as well.
    I don't think they've forgiven us for Agincourt yet. :Whistle:

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Luckily i only have short drive through France. From Calais into Belgium and i already know that stretch of road very well and won't be needing Tom Tom anyway.There is few speed cameras on the way but clearly visible.Never been fined abroad and not planing to start any time soon:Grin:

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Be careful the French plod don't take no prisoners. I guarantee they will be doing spot checks on all the English cars they can. I believe they can confiscate your sat nav as well.
    I don't think they've forgiven us for Agincourt yet. :

Yep RobB you could be right there :Smile: however given the not inconsiderable support we gave them in 14 - 18 and again in 39-45 you might expect them to be a little more forgiving :Smile:

Then again money Money or Euros :Smile:

9. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    A lot of people complain about similar situations in America too. But when you stop to think about why these laws are in place, it just makes sense. Speed laws are put in place to protect people from unsafe (high speed, reckless) drivers. And, if a person knows a speed trap (speed camera) is in a particular place, they're going to slow down just for that and speed up again once it's past. That doesn't make them a safe driver so much as a sneaky driver who could cause a fatal car wreck.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    In the UK there was an increase in the number of accidents near speed cameras due to people seeing them at the last minute and braking incredibly hard so someone runs into them. They made it compulsory that speed camera signs now need to be put up with the cameras. I find this works a lot better as people slow down for the speed camera zone not just the camera itself.

11. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Why are the speed cameras not hidden? Must they be in full view? First off, just their appearance is a distraction from good driving as you pointed out. People will brake hard to avoid them. Or, else post signs to warn drivers they are coming up, as is being done. Still, a sign warning a driver of the camera, defeats the purpose of catching a speeding driver, they just slow down and speed up further down the road. So the camera does nothing to thwart fast drivers who endanger others.

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    When they were first introduced the police were hiding them behind sign boards and bridge supports. It was seen by the public as a deliberate concealment purely to catch as many people as possible. There was debates about whether the cameras were reducing accidents as the police claimed they were as well. They were viewed as money making devices targeting the 'soft touch' motorist. The money raised was also claimed to be being put back into improving roads but it was just going straight back to the government. So the police forces across the country signed up to a code of conduct so they could appear to the public to justify the cameras use. Which includes putting signs up to warn of speed camera zones and the speed of that zone, putting the cameras in plain sight and painting them bright colours so they can be seen. But the police do still have mobile speed camera vans with their blacked out windows which they move every few hours to try and catch us out with.

13. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Government helps us all. Social programs help the less fortunate, if not the middle/upper class and that's true in most countries. So if the money goes into government, then we all benefit (or at least the citizens of that country). My brother passed in a horrendous truck wreck, so i'm very sensitive about the notion of highway safety. If a few people are penalized for speeding and that saves lives, then so be it. They just need to learn to drive the speed limit and be smart about road safety. If they want to put the cameras in the open, then that's fine too. Just so long as people are not slowing down purposefully and speeding up further down the road. Cause how does that make the roads safer? Is that not just pandering to the unsafe drivers at the expense (and lives) of the safer drivers who are abiding by the laws?

14. Felicity Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    So long as this makes the roads safer to drive on, then I'm all for it.