General From original 15 inch on a accord tourer CM1 to 18 inch,any tips??!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by V tec power, Sunday 31st Jan, 2016.

1. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Wouter EYGELSHOVEN
    Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Accord Tourer, it's the Comfort Model. It's fitted with the original steel wheels and hubcaps (15 inch).

The 15 inch wheels are too small in my opinion. What would be the best upgrade without loosing too much comfort. I read online that with 18 inch the ride becomes bumpy and you loose some shock absorption, because the tire becomes lower.

Are there Accord (Tourer) owners with such size tires? If so , what's your experience. Any tips for me?

Someone is selling a nice set (Civic 18 inch) in the color Gun Metal,near where I live, which would be a good improvement on my car.

But as I said I don't want to be shaking in the car every time i'm driving on a country road , or a road that's not as smooth as let's say a highway.

At the end of April I'm planning a trip to Ireland, the roads there aren't always that good. Any tips, guidance, would be deeply appreciated.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hey. I guess while you wait for the Accord owners to reply, have a look at all the Accords in the club garage and see what people are running.
    http://hondakarma.com/garage/model/7th-generation-2003-2008.2/

I just checked online and these are the factory sizes that were offered. Seems like 18 inches were never offered as standard. I think 3 sizes up will affect the ride quite a lot but I don't see a reason why they wouldn't fit as long as they are the same dimensions as the one listed below:

accord.PNG

V tec power and Ichiban like this.
  3. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went for the 17 inch option, and will be getting 225*50*17 tires. Any recommendations concerning the make of the tire? Continental, Michelin..... something DSC_0310.JPG DSC_0310.JPG else?
    - - - Updated - - -
    and thank you legend-ary for the guidance :jumpup::GoodJob:

legend-ary likes this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:Thumbup:these look pretty awesome.. not sure I have ever seen them before.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They're from a 2011-2012 Civic EX IIRC

Nels and legend-ary like this.
  6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I keep hearing that Continetals are utter shite.

personally In my sports car days I was rather fond of the Toyo TR1 or the Avon ZZR... but for normal road use I tend to stick to a decent budget brand (that uses an old brands tyre tread patterns)

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Both my tourers have been on 18's and tbh, they are fine even on our terrible roads.

As for tyres, I could go on for days about the hundreds of highly rated brands and models of tyres that have turned out to be nothing shy of utter disappointment. Soft sidewalls and poor wet grip are my two biggest gripes, sadly if you want wet grip, you get soft sidewalls, that's just how it is.

For me, Toyo T1R's - for the price, they are well worth it, great wet grip until they get to 3mm or thereabouts then they turn into lego bricks, sidewalls are strong and don't roll with the weight of the Accord
    Yokohama Parada Spec II - much the same as the T1R, but much more grip in the dry, sadly they are too soft to have any real longevity to them

Outside of those two, without going well above the £130 per corner, it is virtually impossible to get better.

12107968_10204537947359869_5084946763680532888_n.

10296804_10204932836911861_3983880511391703996_n.

legend-ary likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'll also praise the Toyo Proxes T1R... Good price, low noise, great grip and a fantastically aggressive looking tread pattern. But I've only had them on the Toyota, never the Honda!

9. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I put the alloys on my tourer, and if I say so myself, it looks quite good :dribble:

Attached Files:

legend-ary likes this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

they actually look really good. :Niceone:

11. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Stock size for 17s is 225/45, stock for 18s is 225/40. I think 225/50/17 is correct for the 8th Generation Accord though.

I have run 17s and 18s. No significant difference in comfort levels for me.