Introductions From Type-R to ES GT

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nelf, Monday 17th Mar, 2014.

1. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Hi all,

I've been a Honda owner for the past 4 years, first a 94 Prelude 2.3 4ws I bought as a stop gap that turned out to be fantastic and then a 2007 Civic Type-R gt. My father also has a 2011 Civic 1.4.

I'm trading the r in for a comfortable upgrade, a lovely buran silver 2008 2.2 ES GT saloon, with a full Honda history and bought from a Honda main dealer.

Due to pick it up on Saturday and am really looking forward to it.

Will be nice to have a little luxury and get into a "normal" car again after the uncompromising r.

I love the r but getting 26 MPG and going no faster than anyone else 90% of the time just doesn't make sense.

Looking forward to inputting where I can but in the meantime learning from you lot.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hallo bud, welcome to HK. Hope you enjoy your Accord , it will be a massive change from a Type-R.
  3. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hello Neil,welcome to the club.
  4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi mate, feel free to put up some photos of your Civic, Type-Rs always look great
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @Nelf, the Type-Rs are a whole lot of fun but really hurt the wallet for a daily driver. No doubt you'll love the refinement in the Accord :Smile:
  6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to the club mate.

I just wondered what sort of mileage you'll be doing seeing as your getting a diesel.
  7. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Welcome to the club and I'm sure some of your body parts more than others will be thanking you for the 'upgrade'!
  8. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Racy jace - I assume you are possibly alluding to the DPF issues I may acquire ;-) - about 12k currently but thats because I feel guilty taking the R anywhere as the fuel is such a pain, even on the motorway at 70 it won't go above 35mpg!.

However getting the diesel would mean I would do a lot more long distances (for instance the mother in law lives near plymouth and it would be good to go down there every few months) Daily driving is 10 minutes of start stop then 10 minutes of about 60-70mph (each way). I also work just 1 mile from the M1 so I can easily pop out of a lunchtime to regen.

To be honest I bought the car for ease of driving and relaxation, I'm a bit sick of the harsh ride and stiff clutch in the R, Im more than happy to spend an hour or so on a weekend visiting family or just taking it for a spin up the motorway. The benefits will outway the slight inconvenience in my mind.
    Racy Jace and DeviateDefiant like this.
  9. Mr CL7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Faz Kent
    Welcome bud
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I did 10k and had no problems so you should be fine.

I do find the the 8th suspension damping only comes alive over 70mph. Under that it feels hard but not in a way that will do your head in like a small car would. Ie ignis sport. Out of the cars I've owned it's probably the best compromise to get a nice luxury feel but still be firm enough to roll through the bends nicely and never feel wallowy like you would expect a big car to be. Coming from a Type-R you should be pleasantly surprised. If not, Mugen do a suspension kit for 1400 quid. :Grin:
  11. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, fingers crossed!

Yes, it sounds exactly what I'm after in terms of ride and control, nothing too wallowy but stiff enough to feel in control.

I often travel over the cat and fiddle between Sheffield and my parents in Cheshire so something that feels agile and direct would be lovely for that journey.

I have a friend with a 2009 325d coupe msport on 19 inch run flats and that's like a Citroen c5 in comparison to the r so I'm expecting I will be fine with the Accords "harsh ride" as I've heard road tests report it has a few times. Trust me, you don't know a harsh ride until you've driven an FN2 Civic through Sheffield's terrible roads :Smile: - strangely at speed it also comes alive, with the bumpiness much reduced

I haven't actually driven the one I'm getting, but I drove a 2009 2.2 ex (from what I've read these are the same underneath as the ES GT, could someone confirm??) and it felt good, a little more role than I imagined but anything would. One thing I really liked was that it didn't seem to nod so severely under breaking like the Civic, this will on its own make for a more comfortable ride for my passengers.

I've had in the past a 2003 skoda Octavia vrs 1.8t and I'm expecting a similar ride and handling setup, but without the racy engine.

I'm not really into the modding thing so suspension would be not something I'm interested in unless I felt it was just too soft and felt unsafe, but from reading the reviews it sounds like the accord in gt spec has quite a good balance as you mentioned.

As an aside, one thing that surprised me is that from initial research the Accords standard 17 inch tyres are more expensive than the 18s on the Civic. (£30 a corner more) I guess its a rarer size.
  12. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Welcome to HK.

Tell me about it with Sheffields pot holed roads. I worked there every day until last week with my job and my van has taken a beating most of the sussy is damaged and the van shook itself apart. I hate Sprinter vans. I can sympathize with the CTRs ride totally

Luckily I'm on better roads nearer Leeds and York now.
  13. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All the 8th Generation Accords have the same "sports"suspension except for the ES which no one seems to have bought. That car has "standard" suspension according to the brochure.

As for tyres, that was a sore point too as I was expecting to pay £80 a corner not £125!
  14. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for clarifying, thats what I thought.

On tyres, has anyone installed the 18 inch "Delta" wheels, and if so is the ride effected much? I like the look of them and I believe these are the same size tyres as the Civic Type-R so would work out cheaper??

I doubt they come up for sale 2nd hand very often though and new they are too pricey for me to bother.

PS - Mods, feel free to tell me to post this as a new question if you think its more appropriate, I don't want to upset the forum :Smile:
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zoran got them on his 8th Generation Saloon I have had them for six years on my 7th Generation they are really good wheels but they will develop lacquer spiders and discoloration no matter what you do and how careful you are. The winter salt kills them so don't expect them to last forever looking the part.:Ermm: personally Honda Access needs to make UK specific alloys wheels which last better. These alloys will last forever in a hot climate for a long time I would like to see our Spanish members finding no lacquer peel for years , can one you show your their alloys so we can see the difference in wear.

to live with they really sporty:Niceone: High speed cruising is very relax and complaint and handling is joy , in down the weight and ride is slightly stiff if you do a lot intercity driving these alloys do consume more fuel not ideal for MPG minded people. The second hand market is there but you will get people asking silly money for tatty alloys.

Just see if there are other threads in the 8th Generation section and countuine with a exisiting thread it wiser so this info is not dilluted for others :Thumbup:
  16. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I have Deltas and love them.
    There is set for sale on forum you are member (Civinfo)
    They do suffer with lacquer peel but very nice looking wheels.
  17. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys! Really useful

Zoran - Will have a look on Civinfo, but by the sound of it the quality isnt great and that's the sort of thing that would niggle me.

Have you experienced the 17's and is there much of a difference in ride comfort?
  18. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

They are quality wheels but like Ichiban said salt kills them.
    Not had 17 but thinking of buying a set soon.
  19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Civic has 40 profile tyres I think and the 8th Generation has 45.

There was one member that found a 17 inch version of the deltas which would be my choice. You get style and comfort. You could probably even lower the car and it still feel better than on 18 inch rims.
  20. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I got the car today and I have to say I'm very impressed.

The ride is great but without feeling like its numb or disconnected, it irons out the bumps to make driving enjoyable again.

Getting used to driving a diesel again but it's torque is a welcome change. However I'm surprised how much like a petrol it feels with quite tall gears, I recon I'm driving the same route in the same gears as the r, maybe even lower on faster sections as the 6th gear in the accord is very tall.

Lovely seats and a great driving position, much better than the r.

Sat nav is making sense after a while of playing but is there any way to arrange the map so it rotates so you follow the arrow? Coming from to tom I find it odd to be looking at it with the arrow facing down sometimes, it looks like North is always up?. Disc is v 3.23 I think.

Premium sound system is very good, so much better than the Civic (and that had the bass works setup)

Still need to seetup my iphone and Bluetooth, had a quick play but will have to consult the manual.

And traveling back from Congleton to Sheffield over the Buxton road I averaged 42mpg, in the r it was about 26!

Noticed as it started to rain I got some beeps from the parking sensor, is this a known issue?

Cheers guys.

Will get pics up when it's dried of a bit.
    DeviateDefiant likes this.