Suspension, Steering and Brakes Front axle camber adjustment?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rayhoop, Monday 30th Apr, 2012.

1. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Is it possible to adjust the camber of the front wheels with stock suspension?

Reason being - I had my tracking checked recently, and the camber of the drivers side front was slightly out. I didnt get the adjustments made at the time (as the tech noticed another small job that needs to be done before hand), but when looking at the suspension/arms this weekend, I could only see an adjustment for the steering arms/toe.

Is that correct, or am I going blind?
    Can the camber be adjusted up front, or is the dodgy camber down to perished bushes? subframe alignment? etc...?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ray you can get aftermarket camber adjusters for the 7th Generation , but if your camber in the front is out first check the entire font suspension bushes the entire lot if they are perfect if they are then you have a weak damper.For argument sake let assume you entire front suspension bushes ,drop links , compliance bushes, ARB bushes are in perfect condition and your damper is weak then you can use this to correct it.I would change the damper and then put these on and get your car sitting and behaving to your driving style. There are loads of vendors selling these kits , so shop around .

Link removed at stores request.

1_26_41.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 25th Oct, 2013
  3. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Cheers Peppyster.

Wow those arms are expensive! I've seen some adjustable balljoints too, but I'd rather put faith into the arms if I had too.

BUT - I don't think I can justify the cost.

I'm guessing the camber is down to the bushes, as they looked pretty knackered. I'll roll with it how it is for now, and just see how I get on. The camber is border line, so might get away with it. I think I'll be replacing the car in 2-3 years anyway so don't really want to spend much more on it unless I really have to.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ray post your camber report here lets look at the figures.I bet your cambers and toe will be within spec after your bushes are replaced.

5. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Will do - I'll give it a shot later.

The alignment was spot on before the clutch was done (I have a print out for earlier this year) and I had it checked again after the clutch was done, and it was slightly off.

The mechanics said they had to clear a fair bit of space for the g/box to come out, but bolted everything back where it was and aligned the washers/bolts as per the marks from where they were originally. They said to get the alignment checked, but it should be ok. Having got the alignment checked it is marginally out.

Could this be the reason why you should take your car to Honda for the clutch! lol.

I'm booking it back in with them to get the small job looked at, so will ask how much they will charge to do the suspension bushes too.

6. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Right - so I've got my alignment sheets out.

The "before" alignment check (the all green one) was done in Jan/Feb 2012. Honda had replaced my front lower wishbone bushes and the ARB drop links in late Nov 2011 for my MOT, but I went on Holiday during December so did not have a chance to get the tracking checked straight after.

Anyhow - it was found to be spot on.

The "after" alignment check (with a couple of reds) was done a few weeks back, 1 week after the clutch was changed. Now - we did make one big mistake when checking the alignment, so it could be that there is nothing wrong. We jacked the car up and rotated all the tyres... I did drive the car around the block (bumpy block) but that would never be enough to settle the suspension. Anyhow - they guys checked the alignment all the same and found what the read out says.

They only charged £10 for the privilege of rotating the tyres and checking alignment (as they are mates and didn't adjust anything), but I'll be taking it back shortly to get it re checked, as the suspension has had more than enough time to settle now.

So - theories/comments?

Attached Files:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The offside front may seem a lot but that is within spec overall I won't even bother with it until it out of spec.:Thumbup:

8. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    True say
    I'm hoping that the readings were out as the suspension had not had a proper chance to settle after rotating the wheels.
    hopefully all will be well when I get it checked next. Once the steering wheel has been straightened I'll be a lot happier too!

9. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Megan Racing, lol! I wonder if someone's made a knock off Spoom Sports brand too. Skunk2 do a quality front camber kit for the 7th Generation's, its priced slightly more than the Michelle Racings:Rolf: I wouldn't bother with the adjustable camber balljoints, they don't have much arch clearance and if you were to lower your car in the future theres a very good chance it will start knocking on the underside of the shock tower. I know of a few people that tried these and then switched to the skunk2 camber arms. Do it once, do it right i always say.:telloff:

But as your alignment is still within specs then just hold of for now, unless you're a perfectionist, lol :Grin:

10. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks oz , it clear you have experience of this ,the Michelle racing products really that bad?:Aghast:

11. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lol, the michelle racing is a joke, as they've used the name Megan Racing. It sounds so similar to the super famous honda turner Mugen Racing. Take for instance the front camber arms, it was a concept that was originally designed by skunk2 racing. Everyone else has simply copied the idea and made their own. There are some good quality alternatives out there like the cyber speed's but these megan racing people just copy and sell on cheap imitations. Sure they do the job and have been safety tested but going by the picture, who knows how long those inner bushes would last. Same with people who bought shiny rear lower arms for EG/EK Civics with pre installed bushes. They wear out within a year or so. I don't know if they can even be replaced or if they have to buy new arms again.

The skunk2 camber arms don't come with bushes, you use the original honda bushes which is much better as the quality of honda bushes are 2nd to none, those things are made to last. Mine are still in great condition, when it comes to replacing bushes im gonna get them all replaced with OEM honda as there's no real full setup for polyurathane so any poly bushes would wear out the OEM bushes much quicker, in that case you're best going for a full OEM bush set up.

I've got the skunk2 camber arms on my car, and know of a few people who also had/have fitted them to their cars too and everyone has nothing but positive responses.

12. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Skunk2 it is then thanks bud, I want some nice tweaks to my 8th Generation when I get it . You won't have a list of good mods for a street car would you and where can I buy such stuff in the UK?

Thank you

13. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wait do you have a 7th Generation or an 8th Generation. The mods are limited for the 8th Generation at present, I've never really looked as i don't have one

14. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It will be the 8th Generation , I have ordered it and its being made :Smile:. I saw a thread on heel and toe auto in another thread, after shipping and import duty is puts the price really prohibitive.

15. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its the import duty that scunners you. I once got hit for almost £40 of import duty on £90 worth of clothes from america:Foolish:

16. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Coming back to bushes. I have been looking into bushes again and out of curiosity searched for poly bushes. Turns out Superpro do a front bush kit for the 7 Gen, but at a price... Around £600 for a complete front bush kit :-s!!! I could not justify switching to poly bushes regardless of price, but if anyone did need to add some camber adjustment up front, Superpro do have an eccentric bush kit for the lower control arm.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    600 quid is a bit rich thou!

18. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Yup - its a lot of money. For approx £600 it is the full poly bushing kit for up front (not eccentric). Upper arm, lower arm compliance and rear bush, shock bush.

But nothing listed for the rear... Even the honda original parts site does not list individual bushes for the rear, just complete arms.

The eccentric bush kit for the lower arm is around £150. Thinking about it - I don't know whether this kit is designed to dial in more camber or caster. I know on the 350z a similar positioned bush kit is used to increase caster. Whilst eccentric bushes on the upper arm (on the 350z) would control the camber.... Superpro don't seem to have an eccentric upper arm kit for the Accord.