Suspension, Steering and Brakes Front brakes

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by aveton gifford, Wednesday 8th Jul, 2015.

1. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Aveton cornwall
    Got to do a front disc and pad change this weekend, I have had a read through everything and I take it there won't be any nasty surprises waiting for me??

It looks like a straight forward brake set up.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will nail it take your time there is no race and double check everything you do , if in doubt think over it but don't panic.

aveton gifford likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Don't make the mistake I did which was when taking the caliper bolts off I got the direction wrong unbolting them from the outside and stripped the threads off one of them! Around £50 for OEM or £16 for aftermarkt ones, I went for OEM, so was expensive mistake!

4. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice guys, however I won't be doing the brakes this weekend as Carparts4less can't get the parts in stock despite the order being placed last Saturday, they did manage to lie to me all week though, promising that the parts were being sent when they actually were not!

Looks like GSF is still being run like a corner shop in London, useless bunch of (swear word not posted, but you can put your own in!!)

Needless to say, I won't be using them again!

5. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I mean Euro car parts, not GSF, I'm just so wound up!!:Rant:

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Mate don't use those companies for brakes, I just go straight to Holdcroft Honda for OEM brakes as the prices differences are like £5 and OEM parts are guaranteed to fit, some of those third part pads do not even sit properly in the carriers.

Can't remember exactly how much I paid but pads were less that £40 and discs less that £100 with the club discounts, all delivered next day for free!

8. Nighthawk Guest

OEM brakes for the Civic were almost 150 more than the Brembos, and the Brembos are very good and outperform the OEM. The Ferodos I still have on the Accord outperform the OEM by miles and as they have bedded in, I maintain that the Ferodos stop the Accord better than the Civic stops, despite the Accord being heavier (although it does have bigger and better branded tyres which helps alot too). I do agree that some of the smaller brake companies should be used with caution but Ferodo and Brembos have been around for decades (Ferodo was founded in 1897 and Brembo 1961). Never ever had a problem with fitting Ferodos. I guess it depends on how you drive and how you like the pedal feel as to whether OEM is better for you or a decent aftermarket brand.

exec likes this.
  9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Ah is it, why so expensive for the Civic, I would expect those brands to be good, gonna check them out now, but the ones that ECP/CP4L, GSF etc sell are poop, like those Eicher parts and the Pagids are average and have poor fitment, would avoid them like the plague.

Edit: My last post was in reference to CP4L/ECP etc Nighthawk, just incase it appeared to be advising against the Brembo's you recommended.

10. Nighthawk Guest

To be fair, I rechecked after I made that post, I was quoted just under 300 for the Civic discs and pads all round from HH, Brembos cost 180 all round, so I stand corrected a bit on my initial figure, but its still substantial difference in cost.

The one thing I would say about aftermarket is that you have to pick your parts carefully in the sense of getting the right ones. Ferodos, in my experience, are pretty hard to get hold of and they don't cover all makes and models. If I couldn't get either Ferodos or Brembos (Civic is the first time I have ever used them), I would go OEM.

I do agree again with you @exec , those parts that ECP and co. sell are pretty horrific, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I believe that Pagid are OEM for VAG group of cars??
    - - - Updated - - -
    No worries exec mate :Drinks:, everyone is welcome to their opinions based on their experience. Just because I like aftermarket parts in certain applications, doesnt mean that they will suit everyone. Own tastes etc. I would actually recommend Ferodos over Brembos any day as I have used them in more cars than I can remember - every single car I have ever owned has had the OEM stuff removed and Ferodos installed, but they are hard to get hold of.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    £300 sounds about right then, 100 or so for the discs each and another 100 for pads, 180 is hell of a lot cheaper and I certainly would go down that route as its a significant saving.

Pagid do indeed make OEM for some German marques, to be fair they are not that bad, they are average, and the ones old at ECP are cheaper equivalents, the German marques OEM ones will be specified to their specs.

Always thought Ferodo's were more suited to track cars, another brand I hear a lot of ravings about are EBC, which seem decently priced.

12. Nighthawk Guest

Ferodo do have a performance division, DS 2500 and DS3000 for example, and this is where they are best known and they have been heavily involved in motorsports since the mid 1950's I think it was, they also developed the first mass produced OEM brakes for cars in the early 1900's although I am pretty sure there wasnt a huge market competition back then for friction material.... :Laughing:

Ferodos are still heavily involved in motorsports, that is their main bread and butter I believe, but just like Honda take certain technology from the F1 cars and place it into their road cars, Ferodos do the same, so you can get perfectly normal road application discs and pads which just feel solid under braking - @DeviateDefiant has felt the Ferodos on my car, just solid feedback all the way.

Not saying OEM are bad at all, they just arent for me personally. I would have got Ferodos for the Civic but they don't make them for the EP2, but do for the EP3.

Ohh just found this, glad to see my memory isnt as bad as I thought it was.... :Laughing:

Ferodo Racing Official Website - History

Must admit, thats an impressive history of making brakes for cars (and horse drawn carriages)

exec likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I use Ferodo on all my cars, they make 3 grades, their cheapest OE-spec, their higher grade "Premier" which are still cheaper than OEM, and then performance pads like the DS2500 (suitable for road/track) and DS3000 (pretty much track only). My next choice would be Hawk pads.

Brembo pads for most models are just OE-spec and sell because of the name, they're not any better than OEM in my opinion, they're not designed to be performance pads at all. Their actual Brembo Racing pads are great.

I wouldn't recommend EBC, from road pads to track pads, I've experienced them a few times and always been very underwhelmed.

I've never had a bad experience with OEM pads and would class them as better than most aftermarket.

exec and Nighthawk like this.
  14. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    The only thing that can catch you out is the disc retaining screws. Very easily stripped, many folk recommend a manual impact driver - mine began to strip and this made sure they came out with minimal of fuss.

Link removed as dead ~ staff.

926881?$pd_main$.

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yep, impact driver is essential to get the retaining screws out

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I find a hammer and punch is often more successful than my impact driver. I've had a few I couldn't shift with the driver.

17. Nighthawk Guest

I have drilled them out before in extreme circumstances. They can be challenging little pests at times I must agree

18. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had a problem with them few weeks ago and had to heat two of them and one i drilled out.
    Take your time and you will be fine.

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I used an impact driver on mine too on the recommendation from Andy's guide and it took my screws off no problem, put a little grease on them when I put them back on to stop from seizing in.

@Nighthawk @DeviateDefiant Where do you guys get your Ferodo's from? I wouldn't mind trying them out next time if they are reasonably priced. The brake system on the 6th Generation well on most Honda's I have driven tend to be excellent in that they are progressive with feel and not overassisted like a lot of cars, it would be nice to upgrade them to have a sharper braking point.

Something I remember from childhood is those Ferodo sponsored rail bridges, i think they are all gone now.

104901028_846b3ff829.

20. Nighthawk Guest

I've used these guys before:

Circuit Supplies as well as a local factor who ordered directly from Ferodo with a 7 day lead time (Motorserv)

There are different levels of pads and discs as @DeviateDefiant has already mentioned - I have Premier discs and Premier Pads. I took the liberty of assuming your car is a hatchback and looking on their availability.

HONDA ACCORD (VII) Hatchback Petrol 2.0 l – From 12/1999 to 12/2002 | Ferodo

If you check the OE part numbers under the + sign, these pads supersede the OEM ones.

For your info, just pulled out my receipts for my Accord, prices for my car as follow:

Front discs (pair) - £81.60 incl
    Rear discs (pair) - £45.54 incl
    Front Pads (full set) - £43.10 incl
    Rear Pads (full set) - £30.51 incl

Total of 200 notes and a few pennies

exec and AccordCU2 like this.