Body, Paint & Styling Front bumper damaged twice in a month

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by dennismate, Friday 29th Mar, 2013.

1. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    After having my car repaired last friday cos some idot reversed into me 3 weeks ago, luckily he was a decent guy and paid for the damage.

P1020666.

I returned to my car today to find that some git had driven into it again causing damage to the same area I had repaired less than a week ago and driven off.

P1020807.

Hopefully the person responsible for this will suffer a slow and agonising death.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry to hear that buddy, hate it when that happens.

I once had someone hit me whilst I was parked up but in the car, he stopped after hitting my car and then proceeded to deny that he had hit my car :Rant: Luckily a by stander came and put him in his rightful place :Crazy:

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some people just do not know to drive.

Hope you get it fixed bud.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Boils my blood.
    :Rant:
    It would have been a jealous arrogant German car driver, hope tier wheel come off when they are weaving through traffic like mornos.

What you going to do dennis smart repair it or full respray if you going for the later best get a price of new bumper from HH they come repainted from the factory and 90% its cheaper to buy new then a respray cost.

5. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I'm looking to get it repaired rather than replacing the whole bumper, cos with my run of luck, a week after I get it repaired someone else will drive in to me. That said, replacing it would be my perferred option but the cost maybe prohibitive, any idea how much I'd be looking at??

6. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

shame, i only just got rid of my front one for peanuts!
    i have the rear still available, if required.. in the same colour:Whistle:

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've looked at this as my front bumper needs a respray. I've been quoted £300 for a respray, which is a proper job, not a smart repair that won't last, but its too much really. Even offered to take it off myself and strip the fogs and trims out, but they wouldn't budge on price.

Had a look on Lings and called my local dealer, list price for a new painted bumper is £280. Reckon I could get 10% off also.

So its cheaper than a proper respray for a painted bumper from the factory. Think the rear one is a similar price. Next day delivery the dealer said also. Might be some slight colour mismatch, but all plastics have this.

Fair play on Honda for pricing one part reasonably...

8. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Right, I have been to Honda and they have quoted me £282.00 plus VAT plus Labour to replace the entire bumper that comes in at £453.17, apparantly you have to cut out the holes for the front parking sensors yourself, hence the labour charge. I don't fancy tackling the job myself, one slip with the drill and you're knackered.

Full professional respray by Honda approved bodyshop £351.00 all in.

Smart repair around £70.

As the repair I had done intially wasn't totally 100% to my mind, I think I'll go down the full professional respray route, I just wish I could get my hands on the c*&t that damaged it.

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Dennis,

For your info Holdcroft are doing new front bumpers painted and delivered for £225.73. But I take your point about drilling the parking sensor holes, could be dodgy...

Rich

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am sure the current bumpers are pre drilled I know subsequent ones won't be... drilling holes is not a biggy guys drill from outside in with a conical tapper. Measure the ID inner diamneter of the sensor collar use the drill bit put insulating tape around the depth you want to go in so you don't go to far in . Do it at slow speeds.

Clarke CHT382 3pc. Tapered Drill Set - Machine Mart

The shards will be minimal mask the area with masking tape to limit shredding and the outline of the sensors will be on the reverse side , centre punch them and off you go .

Easy

11. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Are you sure about the holes being pre drilled?? The reason for asking is not all models have front parking sensors. I wouldn't of thought Honda would stock two types of bumper when the only difference is the holes for the sensors, more cost effective to only produce the bumper without the holes and add them as required.

The thing is the cost of the bumper + 20% VAT comes in at £338.40 and I've still got to drill the holes and fit it, for an extra 13 quid....

12. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That price I quoted you from Holdcroft £225.73 inc VAT and delivery. Thats for a new painted bumper from the factory. Give them a call and ask if the sensor holes come pre drilled or not, if they enter your VIN it might show on the parts system.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Parking sensor holes do not come pre-drilled.

Thats done afterwards (as was done with my sports bumper).

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That may be the case of accessories bud however I have a set of brand new bumpers in the garage I will remove the plastic covering to confirm on standard bumpers.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Happy to be corrected....:Hey:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have had a look at the bumpers and they are pre drilled for the sensors, always get the dealer to look for your parts via your reg number or VIN number.

All cars with factory fitted reversing sensors and going for a like for like replacement will get a bumper predrilled. Accessories aka sport bumpers are not predrilled as there are cars without reversing sensors.

So if a dealer tries to give a stock standard bumper without predrills 99% its not for your model :Wink: don't buy it.

17. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Finally sorted, took it into Honda's last Wednesday for a full bumper respray, they called me Friday to say they wern't happy with the colour match, so it would be ready Monday. Went to collect it Monday and OMG what a dreadfull colour match, not even close to the original. After the usual waffle about plastic part always being a slightly different shade, they called out the service manager, it was so bad he couldn't really disagree with me, so he apologised and said they would get back to me Tuesday.

Tuesday at 9.30 they called me to say they were going to order a new bumper and fit it for the cost of the re-spray, didn't take them long to admit it was a crap job did it? Went to collect it today and it looks totally factory. So I guess the moral of this tale is: - if it's plastic on a Honda replace it don't re-spray it.

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Least you got it sorted.

Bit surprised they tried to fob you off about the plastic being a different shade - how the hell do they look perfect then from factory??? Duh!

Some dealers will say anything to cover their poor workmanship - kudos to you for calling their bluff. Name/shame them I say so they can be avoided.