Suspension, Steering and Brakes Front caliper slide pins

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Monday 23rd Feb, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Just looking at the front disc and pad replacement DIY, I noticed the mention of slider pins don't these require some form of grease on them before refitting?
    Cheers Pete

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Silicone grease is what I used on mine.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nels likes this.
  4. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    That one says alternative to copper grease, although I appreciate it won't damage the rubber boots is this stuff not likely to congeal in that it could prevent the silding action prematurely?
    Cheers Pete

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No it's what I've been using for several years and not had any issues with the slider pins at all.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Superfit is worth getting. I will be buying it next, when I've used what I've got.

7. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Right that's me sold on that , be good on my motorcycle too , cheers guys
    Cheers Pete

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Yeah, always use silicone grease on slider pins, copper grease wears away and clogs up causing the pins to stick inside the calipers over time. Copper grease also damages the rubber boots of the slider pins. Another +1 here for silicone grease

9. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Just bought the bosch stuff above so hopefully that will do the job, cheers for your input guys.
    Cheers Pete

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I used red rubber grease on mine, based off the guide that @AndyB1976 wrote up and no issues so far 2 years on, although it would probably be good to do a brake service this summer and grease everything up again.

11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I've since bought and tested this Permatex stuff which is better than the red rubber grease IMO

and also have 3M silicone paste which seems to be popular too but not yet tried it.

Based on my DIY experience I think red rubber grease is ok if you do a brake service every year and can refresh it. Silicone paste by all accounts will last a few years but still a good idea to strip the brakes down annually anyway, looking at boots, hoses and any abnormal wear on the disc and pads.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    How long did your red grease lats on yours Andy? Well when I say last I mean like how long was it efficient for in its job. I don't do many miles so wondering if that has an effect on the life of its effectiveness.

13. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Same as me Exec, not a high miler on that car either.

It was still evident a year(5000 miles) later although it looked like it might have dried out a bit. To be fair I don't pack the grease in or on the pin. The Permatex however looked like new.