Aftermarket Kit Front camera

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by leonard, Wednesday 4th Jun, 2014.

1. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    I've read on other threads that the CR-V's without sat nav use the i- MID screen to display the image.
    However on CR-V's with sat nav the i-MID screen still have a function to display a camera ,but not camera is attached.
    On this case why not add a front view camera ,wouldn't that be cool ?
    Please express your thought about it.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In Japan it's an option, I am a sure it didn't get homologation approval in the EU.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Would have been ace for a front camera as in Japan....sigh!

4. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    I have seen few Range Rovers with front mounted camera!!
    What EU approval have to do with it?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speak to Honda Europe LTD in slough mate ,get the ball rolling.

6. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    Mate,I don't care what Honda Europe have to say if I do something on my car and I am not asking for their permission.
    All I am asking if it is cool , helpful addition and doable .

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It depends what is needed to install the camera. Does the head unit have a spare input on it ? Will a generic camera work ? These are the kind of questions that need answering.

leonard likes this.
  8. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    Please the ones that knows this stuff get the thoughts rolling
    I also found on Ebay a set of Genuine Honda door protector strips from a 09-10 Civic on my car's color,
    does anybody knows the difference in size with the cr v ones ?

9. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    Bump!!!!
    405 views and nobody have a thought ?

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@leonard, you only posted this thread on Wednesday.
    All members do not log on daily. They come and go as and when they want to.

I doubt anyone on here has done what you are proposing regarding the front camera.
    In theory, it could be done, if all the equipment on ours is the same as Japan, but that's a big 'if'.

If you contacted HUK, they may be able to advise if it is 'doable'. Permission has nothing to do with it.
    As a starter, the questions @SpeedyGee posted would help you get the ball rolling.

WRT the door strips, genuine Honda protectors are made to the correct length, thickness and curvature for each model.
    Again, I doubt anyone has tried to fit the strips from a different model.

Additionally, I doubt anyone would advise you to do so, as we try to save members time and money.

If however you do try either of these mods, please let us know how you get on.
    We share what we know, without charge, to help each other.
    This is one of the great things about this site.
    It is a community of folk who love their Hondas and try to help each other.

JD

Toggerefc likes this.
  11. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    @ Nels,I really appreciate what you saying but there on the crowd must be some very knowledgeable people that work at Honda and knows CR-V's inside out but don't want to share
    their knowledge for free .
    Anyway at last I found The camera that I need and fit perfectly and invisibly on the front badge ,all I need now is what connection plug needed on rear of I MID before I start disassembling the instrument panel.
    Here is the link for the camera. New Car Hidden Front View Mark Logo Camera For Honda CR-V Crosstour Spirior | eBay

Toggerefc likes this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I have read through most of the threads on this forum, (yes that is true, I have) and have not seen anything about front facing cameras.
    Your comments about people not wanting to share is, to put it bluntly, very insulting to the good folk on here.

The people that have all the info are HUK. Hence the recommendation to contact them.
    Why would the dealers know, unless they have fitted such a device ?
    This is quite unlikely, as it isn't a accessory Honda offer in the UK.

My best advice would be:-
    Does your CR-V have a rear parking camera, like the Accords?
    If so, does anyone make a 'Y' connector/switch so you can use both via the same input on the screen unit ? (Assuming there's only 1 input socket)

Does the camera seller have any further info re connectors?

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

99% certain that any Civic accessories will not be suitable for the CR-V. If it was me, I wouldn't risk parting with money for door strips that I know are for a Civic and not a CR-V. Thats just me. :Smile:

I don't think anyone is harbouring info and then not sharing it. You have to appreciate that the current 4th Generation CR-V is less than two years old in the UK and not many people of the said age group that buy this car modify it - so there's probably very few who'd want to take apart a new car and change things around or add non-UK/Euro CR-V elements etc.

That front camera you've located looks ace, I must admit. While it would be a welcome addition as I mentioned earlier, its not a deal breaker (for me personally) since looking straight out the windscreen produces the same desired effect I guess! :Hey:

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Leonard, patience my dear friend, patience. You are attempting something that I doubt anyone in the UK (and perhaps anywhere else as well) has attempted, therefore understandably the information you are after will not be readily available.

Looking at the sarcastic comments you've received on your post on the US CR-V owners club, I'd say people on here have been so much more welcoming.

Anyway back to your issue, if you scan the links in my signature, you'll see that I have on my 7th Generation Accord had a car PC displaying on the screen, I've also have the ability to display a vast arrange of video outputs HDMI, VGA, DVI, Composite etc.

When I first started looking at doing this (good 6 or 7 years ago), there was no info out there on how to do it or even if was possible. So I had to study the wiring on the head unit, work out what wires carried what signals and actually cut into the wiring loom to intercept the video signal going to the headunit. I did all that myself and I worked out it, got it working.

If I were in your shoes I would look out there and see what information is available on the internet for doing what you want to do, if there isn't any information I would start researching myself.

However, I'm a true techie type of person, a super geek if you like but I appreciate that not everyone is.

You, in your case @Leanord need someone to tell you exactly what to do, but the problem is that no one has done this before so no one can give you an easy answer. Just because no one has come forth with info does not imply that that people are harbouring the info and not coming forth with it.

Perfectly willing to help you if I can but I don't know much about the 4th Generation CR-Vs at all, so please calm down and be patient.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you been able to find out any more @leonard ?

16. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    Yes ,I was looking at Civic forum and seems that 9th generation Civic have the same I MID .
    This is the link DIY: Reverse / Rear Back up Camera - HEAVY PICS
    They installing rear view camera but it can be for front view as well.
    The easiest way to add a camera is to plug it on the video input plug on the armrest but you won't have the both cameras on at the same time ,thats why I want to utilise the I MID option.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That seems like a lot of work for a small gain.
    However, you're the one doing it :Unknown:
    If it's important enough to you, then go for it.

At least you're getting a better idea of what's involved.

18. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    I think with the front camera and on CR-V it will be easier ,more images

Honda-CR-V-2012-18-150x150. Honda-CR-V-2012-17-150x150.

19. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    Its only a project and as far as I can see very easy and cheap.
    It will help my wife to win confidence in parkin it.

20. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london