Suspension, Steering and Brakes Front Disk Service limit?

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by jd1959, Sunday 7th Feb, 2016.

1. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Working on the GD1 Fit this morning I was out doing my (first) yearly clean and grease of the brake calipers noting that new pads will soon be in order, but couldn't find the service limit stamped or printed on the disks. There is a moderate lip forming on the edge of the disk but wearing smooth and even. Anyone know what the min thickness is? For cost sake I'd rather not replace if its not needed but obviously want to stay in tolerance for safety.

Thanks,
    Zack

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can someone look this up for Zack please ?

@legend-ary perhaps ?

legend-ary likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @jd1959 according to the service manual the service limit is 19mm.. see below..
    hope this helps..

jazz.

Zebster and jd1959 like this.
  4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    @legend-ary Just the info I was looking for thank you very much.

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    May as well change your discs when the pads go as cheap ones are only £16 odd each
    Even brembos are around £30 .

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Its looking like it anyway, they're about on the limit now when the pads are worn out I'll do the lot. Gone are the days of getting the rotors turned they run the tolerances too tight between new and service limit.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Very true but luckily these days there as cheap as chips. I looked up the rough prices for your car without knowing the correct model etc, but even the vented discs were cheap ( ish )
    I have to change mine regularly as car sits for months without use so they rust away rather than wear out !

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Just to update just in case this is referenced by someone. For anyone owning a JDM Fit, much to my dismay on trying to service the brakes there are two different brake disks :Rant:. 45251-SAA-G11 21MM-19MM disk tolerance which I have in my possession (non OEM) and will eventually put up for sale. The other which is on mine is 45251-SAA-901 which has a thickness of 17-15mm and a slightly different hub depth. The two parts are not interchangeable so if you measure and think they are well under tolerance look up the two parts and compare hub depth to determine.

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Interesting. Does your have rear drums or discs? There are different discs available for either.

Btw why not add your Fit to the club garage ? HK needs a bit of Jazzing up

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Bad puns always appreciated! :Grin:

Rear drums (1.3 iDSI CVT GD1), I've been meaning to get it in the garage for ages now, it's just finding a time to get it clean and photo it. The paint is more of a white pearl and tar speckled mix so it needs a good bit of time spent before I'm happy putting it up. One of those things that is on the very long to do list.

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Haha.. thank you thank you. bad puns are the best.
    but yeah same setup as mine. So yeah different sized discs compared to 4 wheel disc braked cars.

I actually would love to own a white one.. don't think UK got any though.