Electrical & Lights Front fog light lenses smashed AGAIN Grrr.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by brock, Sunday 16th Dec, 2012.

1. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    Hi all, Anyone know of any replacement front fog light bulbs and lenses other than original Honda ones?

I've had 3 smash now and one was just 1 week after after paying £150 plus for a dealer fitted replacement. They seem to be particuarly weak from Honda. I've not had the issue with other cars I've owned with fog lights positioned low down.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Buy the Acura TSX ones from ebay. I had some shipped over for £40 the pair (which are ironically also now broken!) but darn sight cheaper than Honda.

Sadly, there is no cure for this.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How do they smash ? By stones thrown up by car in front ?

4. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    I guess its stone chips but they must be weaker than other manufacturers spots. I've never had the issue on any other car I've owned.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've done nearly 100K miles across two gen 7 Accords and never once had this issue. So are gen8 foggies really that fragile ?

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There are plenty of new Depo brand ones on Ebay for £50, I have one on my car and apart from the depo name on the glass, instead of Stanley, you can't tell them apart.

You can also get fog light film on Ebay, clear or yellow, might be worth investigating, it should stop cracks from chips.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes, plus the fact that they practically kiss the road doesnt help either.

I'm toying with blanking mine off in the summer. I never use the sodding things anyway - not when I have Xenons/HIDs. They're rather redundant for me.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Touch wood my car is 4 years old and fog lights are still intact.
    Like the idea of blanking them off as I never use them ,that's if they break.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have the plastic (hardened) to install - just havent had time to shape/cure the blanks yet.

10. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I had one go on my 2008 EX, cost me a small fortune to replace, so I bought a sheet of clear Lamin-X protection film and fitted that, so far so good. I traded the 2008 in for a 2011 model with stupidly low miles 2 weeks ago and the first thing I did was Lamin-X the fogs, only time will tell....

11. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    when i got my car the garage said they would replace them before i had it.then when i got it home i fitted some lamin-x film to them to stop them from crackin as iv seen so many round that are damaged

12. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

One of mine was gone when I bought it, I asked for it to be replaced, so far ok, but might look at that film.

My old 1984 Alfa Sprint has plastic covers for its fog lights when not in use, presumably to stop breakages.

13. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    Ah good tip guys re the film. I just need to save up for two spots now . Will do the film before I ventue out on the road for sure.
    Speedy gee, maybe I was just unlucky but having one go so soon after I'd replace one was a bit of a git lol.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On ebay there are a few secondhand fog lamps going up for sale now and again so keep a look out for them.

Not a fan of the filming the lenses.

15. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

3m paint protection film on Ebay is suitable for lights also, only £3 for 15x30cm.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rich have you used this film on your,any feedback ? for doubters like me

17. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    here's a pic of my old car after I put Lamin-X on the fog lights

Fog Light with Lamin-X (10)-small.

It's pretty hard to see it's there at all... the car needed a wash when this pic was taken

Last edited: Friday 21st Dec, 2012
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dennis did you remove the fog lamp to cut out the circle or did you take a template and then cut around ?

Just need to work out a slick process of doing this ,I am not one for taking shortcuts.

19. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    no, I just stuck it on over the lamps fitted, you just need a hairdryer to make it easy to shape, and a sharpe knife

I did a pretty sh**t job of mine to be honest, if you spent a little longer, you'd get better results, but nobody realised I had it fitted, go for the clear stuff, not the tinted

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds